Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wawona campground using tents in RV spaces?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wawona campground using tents in RV spaces?
April 20, 2011 10:13AM
Last year I reserved an RV space in North Pines and when I emailed NPS they emailed back I had to use only a RV in a RV space no tents allowed! When I got to the campground the camp host laughed and said they never heard of such a thing and to use anything I wanted. This year we have spave 23 in Wawona, does anyone know if I can just use my small tent ( I do not need much space there are 3 of us in a small tent) in that space even though it says RV only. One post mentioned. That some campsites at this campground had pull outs and campers were some distance from there sites. Any info would be appreciated.
April 20, 2011 10:54AM
I am curious about this too, asking with Tuolumne Meadows where there are no pre assigned sites.
avatar Re: Wawona campground using tents in RV spaces?
April 20, 2011 06:53PM
For what it's worth, I've taken a "RV Site" at Tuolumne because the reservation system didn't have any "Tent Site"s left, and I told the system my "camping equipment" was a tent. It went through, I showed up, nobody was at the campground entrance and my name was assigned to a site, I went there, set up camp, and life carried on.
April 20, 2011 12:09PM
kathiek
when I emailed NPS they emailed back I had to use only a RV in a RV space no tents allowed!

Was it really NPS or just the contractor that handles reservations?

When I got to the campground the camp host laughed and said they never heard of such a thing and to use anything I wanted.

I've never heard of any problems using a tent in any campsite in Yosemite.
April 20, 2011 03:14PM
At some campsites in some campgrounds there isn't a good spot to put a tent, other than in the gravel driveway. This one looks like there is a nice flat space near the table and bear locker.

Info from the Recreation.gov website (there is a small photo on the website as well)

sun on river, RV only, NO TENTS!
Site Type: RV NONELECTRIC
**This site can accommodate a 35 foot motorhome, or a 27 foot trailer.**
www.recreation.gov/campsiteDetails.do?siteId=205947&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70924

It looks like a nice location next to the river.
April 20, 2011 07:43PM
NacciNW
At some campsites in some campgrounds there isn't a good spot to put a tent, other than in the gravel driveway. This one looks like there is a nice flat space near the table and bear locker.

I know of one federal campground (Kalaloch Campground at Olympic NP) where several prime sites with views of the beach are strictly no tents. They cut out driveways into bushes, and truly without any place to set up a tent. I think they might have has small spaces cleared out for picnic tables, but that was about it.
April 20, 2011 08:33PM
As far as I know, as long as your equipment (tent, RV, trailer, pop-up, camper, cars, etc) fit on your campsite, it is fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login