Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snow Melt Prompts Water Safety Warning

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Snow Melt Prompts Water Safety Warning
April 21, 2011 05:32PM
Sacramento, CA-- The snowmelt in California this spring has prompted a water safety warning for outdoor recreationists. Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), the California Department of Boating and Waterways and California State Parks are warning those who participate in outdoor water activities to take precautions against cold temperatures and swift currents.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1275808/Snow-Melt-Prompts-Water-Safety-Warning.html
avatar Re: Snow Melt Prompts Water Safety Warning
April 21, 2011 07:02PM
We were in North Pines in late June/early July last year and the Merced River was 34 degrees (per the ranger and camp hosts). Very few people swimming off the beach in the campground (of course we were). It was 90 degrees out and the water was close to freezing. And this was last year, so I can't imagine how cold it will be this year!
April 22, 2011 10:43AM
More snow melt, more waterfalls! Can't wait.
April 22, 2011 05:39PM
Even knee deep water that is moving just a few miles an hour can take you down. When you lift a foot up and try to put it down for the next step the water will sweep it to the side or wherever resulting in a fall. Be very careful around fast moving freezing water even if it is shallow.

Old Dude
April 23, 2011 04:55PM
Let's say you are an idiot and fall into the river. What should you be doing to stay alive? Swim to the side? Grab onto what?
April 23, 2011 05:19PM
For at least a month or two the water will be so cold that your fingers, then your arms and legs will go away in a minute or so. With the high water that will be present one will be swept away to either be bashed on rocks or be pinned under some rocks not to be found until after the snow melt sometime in July. The only thing to do is stay away from the chance of falling in the first place. Quite often bodies are not recovered for weeks.

When water is 33 degrees you will not be able to grab onto anything.

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 08:50PM by mrcondron.
April 23, 2011 08:13PM
People underestimate the turbulence under the surface and the force of the water – one cubic meter weighs a ton.
April 23, 2011 11:02PM
Just past Mirror Lake, at a small bridge over the river, there is a sign that states:
Warning - Stay Off The Rocks - Visitors Die Here Every Year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 11:02PM by JeffTheGreat.
April 24, 2011 02:27PM
That is an intimidating sign. I wonder what the yearly count is.
April 30, 2011 03:11PM
JeffTheGreat
Just past Mirror Lake, at a small bridge over the river, there is a sign that states:
Warning - Stay Off The Rocks - Visitors Die Here Every Year

At the top of Nevada:

At the top of Vernal:

Of course you still get clowns doing stupid stuff:

wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 30, 2011 05:38PM
Wow. It must be a serious problem for them to have all these signs. I feel sorry for those that do fall down.
April 30, 2011 10:14PM
And every summer that I have hiked up past Vernal, with the exception of last year, there are people swimming in the Emerald Pool (way too cold and fast last year). Children and adults, just swimming and sliding like they are at a crowded community pool. They bring towels and coolers like it is a beach day. I've even seen people swimming right above Nevada too. I've also seen adults and children climbing on the rocks at the base of Bridalveil and Yosemite Falls and it blows my mind every time. And try to say something to the parents of the kids who are on the rocks! They look at you like you are crazy.

Those signs are extremely serious yet some people don't take them seriously and treat Yosemite like it's Disneyland.
April 30, 2011 11:04PM
We were hiking out at Wapama at HH last July, and trying to stay out of the spray, when a dad, his wife, and their 3 year old, climbed down off the bridge to get some photos down in the water. WTF?

The only thing that stopped them from getting IN the water was the child screaming bloody murder.
April 30, 2011 11:18PM
Seems like the three year old had more common sense than his/her parents!
May 01, 2011 02:27AM
itchbay
We were hiking out at Wapama at HH last July, and trying to stay out of the spray, when a dad, his wife, and their 3 year old, climbed down off the bridge to get some photos down in the water. WTF?

The only thing that stopped them from getting IN the water was the child screaming bloody murder.

Bill-e-g and I measured the water temp of Falls Creek at the top of Wapama Falls at 33 degrees in March of 2009. The spray at the bridge is butt cold. It's no wonder the kid was shrieking, plus all the noise of the water.

Old Dude
May 06, 2011 01:08AM
From the pictures, it doesn't look too dangerous... maybe that is why people do get hurt, they let their guards down.
May 16, 2011 01:12PM
Warning: The entire Yosemite Valley is draining from snow melt which has created hundreds of waterfalls pouring from the rocks, mountains and even underground springs. The power is fierce. On a rafting scale of 6 being dangerous, these waterfalls and rivers are rated a 10. Stay out of the water, Stay far away from the falls and just watch from a distance. All of the roads, sidewalks and trails have also turned into rivers. Example: Bridalveil Falls walkway and trail to the lookout was a river that was 6 inches deep flowing fast and we were drenched. It should have been closed.

I am surprised there were not more deaths. I watched people allow their small children to stand one foot from the edge of the rivers and did nothing to stop them while their back was turned.

But as a photographer. It was Gods Gift to the World, the beauty of Yosemite Valley.
April 24, 2011 01:54AM
The "Off the Wall-Death in Yosemite" book has a summary section at it's end.
As I remember, water related deaths is at the top of the list.
April 24, 2011 01:39PM
For what it's worth, if you do fall in try to get your feet pointed downstream so they are the first to crash into large boulders or logs. That might work until you are so frozen that nothing works. I have scuba dived in 39 degree ocean water (40+ years ago) with a wet suit and felt like my face was going to fall off. Can't imagine what 33 degree rushing water would be like with no protective gear.
May 01, 2011 07:13AM
tomdisco
For what it's worth, if you do fall in try to get your feet pointed downstream so they are the first to crash into large boulders or logs. That might work until you are so frozen that nothing works. I have scuba dived in 39 degree ocean water (40+ years ago) with a wet suit and felt like my face was going to fall off. Can't imagine what 33 degree rushing water would be like with no protective gear.

that is why I think the movie Titanic is so realistic. THe girl was running back and forth wading through water that was about 30 degrees like it was no problem.
April 24, 2011 04:35PM
Pray, and hope you get stuck between rocks or tree branches, so someone can pull you out.
April 30, 2011 12:48PM
Don't fall down? Pray?
April 30, 2011 02:00PM
kingeorge
Don't fall down? Pray?

Do fall down and become prey.
April 24, 2011 02:03PM
Fill a bucket with water and lots of ice cubes. Put so many cubes that after stirring for a minute there are still plenty of ice cubes remaining. Now submerge as much of your arm into it as possible. Leave it there for a bit, and now imagine what your entire body in that would be like. It doesn't matter how strong of a swimmer you are- you're going to be more or less helpless within seconds.
April 24, 2011 10:35PM
The same goes for those trying to pull you out. In seconds their hands don't work and this is assuming they can even get to you without they themselves getting in the water.

Old Dude
April 30, 2011 11:05PM
No, thanks. I've swam in 55 degree water. With a wetsuit. It's no fun. My feet and fingers go tingly just thinking about it.
May 06, 2011 03:14PM
When is it safe for the "kids" to play in the river?
May 06, 2011 06:59PM
rick
When is it safe for the "kids" to play in the river?

Two things:
!. When you can't see the water moving.
2. When it's not so cold that they will actually get in it.

Old Dude
May 08, 2011 11:12PM
When we have gone in late August / early September when the water is shallow and warmer, I see kids in the river all day long.
May 09, 2011 12:21AM
I usually just wade my feet in the river, and that is too cold for me. People often jump off the rock near the start of Mist Trails; don't remember what time of year though.
May 09, 2011 08:58AM
Later in the summer. When other people are in the river?
May 16, 2011 04:44PM
swimming in the emerald pool is refreshing but not as nice as it is at the bottom of vernal wink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login