Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camping in Sierra NF?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 30, 2011 06:27PM
I'm thinking of maybe making my sudden long weekend in Yosemite into a sudden long weekend in Sierra NF. I've never been, so I don't know the ins and outs. Looking at the website, it looks like if you can't get a campsite in one of the reserve-able campgrounds, you can just free-style it somewhere. Is that really the case?
avatar Re: Camping in Sierra NF?
April 30, 2011 07:31PM
Yeah - but I think you have to do your research as to what areas are OK for dispersed camping. You'll need to bring your own water and the forest is your bathroom.

The other deal is that you'll need a California campfire permit - even for a gas stove. You can get one at a FS office or even print your own.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html
April 30, 2011 08:57PM
You also need to look at road closures in Sierra NF... there are many. You won't get all the way up to Clover Meadow, for example. The road closes just past Mammoth Pool. Courtright road will be closed for a while yet. Some of the designated campgrounds are along these roads.
April 30, 2011 11:03PM
You also might want to consider the BLM campgrounds in the Merced River Recreation Area, off of Hwy 140 by Briceburg. The three small campgrounds are located near the Merced River and are managed by the BLM. They are first come, first served.

Merced River Recreation Area BLM Campgrounds Info.

Merced River BLM Campgrounds Map
April 30, 2011 11:09PM
Thanks all. I'm just toying with the idea. I'm not going to let a chance to go camping pass me by, even if it means dragging my own water, and carrying a shovel to go to the bathroom.

What are the downsides of dispersed camping? I've only ever camped in actual campgrounds, but the boy has done more of the find-a-flat-spot-and-set-up-the-tent kind of camping. Is it just that you have to be totally self-sufficient?
May 01, 2011 12:56AM
Absolutely not. It's not like backpacking. You still have your car or RV. Basically, you just find yourself a nice spot to set up a tent and that's it. You bring your own water and dig a hole when you have to go to the bathroom. Unless you have a RV and then you can also take a hot shower. Don't quote me on this, but I think the stay limit is 14 days in the national forest.
May 06, 2011 01:50AM
... and the luxury to drive for supplies, food, restaurants,
May 06, 2011 02:50PM
I would do alittle research before I head out there... its not as simple as you think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login