Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lake Eleanor via Cherry Lake Road

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lake Eleanor via Cherry Lake Road
May 01, 2011 10:04AM
Looking forward to an upcoming week in the park, and I was wondering if anyone knew if the Cherry Lake Road - just west of the 120 gate - was open to Cherry Lake and Lake Eleanor in the northwest portion of the park? While Cherry is nice, I'm hoping to get to Lake Eleanor which is inside the Yosemite park boundaries (Cherry in Stanislaus NF). I'm guessing the road is open since there is a damkeeper that resides at Cherry Lake. There's some nice Ranger accomodations at Lake Eleanor, but I know that's more of a summer residence. At the very least I'm hoping to hike to Eleanor from the Cherry Dam.
Thanks!
avatar Re: Lake Eleanor via Cherry Lake Road
May 01, 2011 10:43AM
The road to Cherry Dam is open year round.
The gate across the dam typically opens around April 15th and closes Sept. 15th.
Maybe the gate isn't open yet this year b/c of the snow, but you can easily hike to Eleanor year-round,
a couple of different ways.

Call Groveland Ranger district and ask if the gate is open yet. My guess is that it is open and
you can drive to the west trailhead to Eleanor, but probably will have trouble getting to Shingle Spring.

(209) 962-7825

They used to be open on Saturday, it seems they are not currently.

If you or someone like oak finds out the answer, please post how the road is... I plan on going up
Cherry Creek Canyon soon....

Thanks

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 03, 2011 08:47AM
They have not opened the gate yet this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 10:02AM by chick-on.
Re: Lake Eleanor via Cherry Lake Road
May 03, 2011 11:39AM
Hoping they do so by next week sometime. Thanks
May 03, 2011 04:26PM
Give the Forest Service office in Groveland a call. They should probably be able to give you a good time estimate when the gate will be open. And maybe you asking about it might bump it up on their priority list of things to do. smiling smiley
May 03, 2011 04:43PM
I did call. That's how I knew it wasn't open yet.

They said since I called now they won't open it until maybe the end of the week.

Seriously though, Eleanor. You really don't need the gate open. It's a whopping 3 miles to the lake
with the gate closed. I guess if you want to boat the lake in something other than a trail boat
you might want the gate open...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login