Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Cables

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 18, 2011 05:21PM
The Half Dome cables won't be up for Memorial Day weekend.
May 18, 2011 10:42PM
Are they usually? I don't really follow Half Dome news, and the only time I remember even paying the slightest attention was back in 2005, another big-snow-high-water year. I don't believe they were up by the end of May then either. We were in Yosemite the week before Memorial Day (the better time to go, IMO) and I remember people talking about how they weren't up and weren't likely to be up any time soon. There was also some talk about Tioga Road not opening until the end of June that year.
May 18, 2011 10:49PM
They're often up by mid-May in normal snow years with normal (or warm) spring days.
May 18, 2011 10:45PM
I know they didn't go up until mid-June last year with far less snow.
avatar Half Dome Cables will not be up for Memorial Day Weekend
May 19, 2011 12:30PM
Due to the heavy snow fall this winter, cool spring temperatures, and frequent storms, the snowpack remains deep. As a result, the National Park Service will not be putting the Half Dome Cables in place for the Memorial Day weekend. It is also unlikely that they would be put up during the first week of June. Continued expected snow storms in the high country prevent the NPS from making an accurate prediction of the when the cables may be put in place. In 2010, which had less snow than 2011, the cables were not put in place until June 16.

Starting next week, the NPS will provide weekly conditions updates on the Half Dome Trail and cables along with any prediction for a possible opening date, when known. To read these updates go to: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login