Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome with Cables Down

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome with Cables Down
May 23, 2011 11:28PM
The Cables are Down on Half Dome!

With 24/7 permits required all summer, Except when the cables are "down", I began thinking about a May climb last winter. And now with the scalper/hackers wiping out the permits too, there was even more reason to go this month. I had climbed the Dome with "cables down" back in 1974, so I thought it was about time to try it again.

Last time, we drove a Datsun pickup into the Valley, and easily found a vacant campsite. Two slept in the pickup bed, I was on the ground. We were awakened at O-dark-thirty by the rythmic squeaking of the springs of the camper next to us. Then our amorous neighbors noisily broke camp and drove away about 6:30, just in time for us to get up. So much for a peaceful night of camping. I think we were the only ones climbing that day. Dry trail and dry cables.

Last week, I called the Yosemite wilderness info number to say I was thinking about climbing Half Dome soon, and was warned repeatedly that they "did not recommend" hiking to Half Dome. The ranger warned me there were several feet of snow with icy sections on the route. I talked to Bill-E-G here and others, and decided to take crampons and ice axe and go. The evening before going, my friend was already in the Valley, and talked to hikers returning from Half Dome. They said no snowshoes or crampons were necessary, so I left all that equipment behind.

Saturday morning, wagga and I drove in from Fresberg, arriving at the Trailhead Parking lot (sign read "FULL"winking smiley at 7:30. We quickly got under way, and I was at the top of Vernal Fall an hour later. I met a friend, Brent, and we hiked on from there. Nevada Fall an hour later, the Half Dome / Clouds Rest junction about 11 a.m. with a wary coyote passing through.

We skipped getting water at the spring, since we had loaded up at the river, thinking the spring might be inaccessible in the snow. (Wrong -- no snow at the spring, plenty of fresh pure water!.)

A little while after the spring, the snow started, and pretty soon, we were hiking over snow, not seeing much trail anymore.

The boot tracks left the trail, and we followed them... climbing directly up to the shoulder before the sub-dome. It was solid snow by this time. We were glad we had gaiters. Brent also wore Yak Trax on his trail runners. I was fine with regular hiking boots. Unfortunately I had left the snow cups off my hiking poles. They still help, but are not as completely effective.

The snow got steep at the base of the sub-dome. From the picture, it looks like a 45 degree slope. It was not bad, though. No ice anywhere, perfect snow conditions: firm enough to hold our weight, soft enough for kicking footholds.

The steep snow opened to some of the switchbacks with steps on the sub-dome, but then the last third, where it is not as steep, is still under snow. Easy walking, actually. We were at the base of the cables about 1 p.m. Squirrels were raiding anything left behind that contained food: backpacks and a jacket.

Starting up the cables:

A view at the top of the cables:

Checking the camera time on the pictures, it took about 15 minutes to climb. I checked my watch going down -- it took 5 minutes.

There are quite a few rest spots without the posts and cross-members. The cables allow you to swing to either side a few feet, and you can usually find a ledge or one of the cable bolts to stand on to rest.

I climb the cables with no gloves -- better grip that way. Going down, split leather gloves are the best, allowing you to grip the cable, but let it slip through the hands as you simply walk backwards down the slope. Some people like to descend hand over hand, and you can do that without any gloves.

And once I got to the summit... A Bear!!!

Berry Bear enjoyed the view.

All the pictures are here: 2011-05-21 Half Dome, Cables Down

Several YouTube videos: and

I also posted a trip report on WhitneyZone: ... Half Dome with Cables Down ... Different words and pictures.

I definitely liked this hike. It is not for people who want to stick to dry trails. The snow was not a problem, but then, it could bother some people. I thoroughly enjoyed having the trail and cables practically to myself. My back was sore for only a day from the strain of the cables. My quads are still sore after two days of rest! I may never experience Half Dome with the "Cables Up" again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 11:42PM by SteveC.
avatar Re: Half Dome with Cables Down
May 24, 2011 06:30AM
A few links for others contemplating climbing the dome with the cables laying down.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,25438,25438#msg-25438
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,12525,12525#msg-12525

Can't find the thread with bill-e-butt halfway up da cables looking down.

It certainly looked like not the weather to be going up Da Dome on Judgement Day:

You got lucky with the weather getting nicer.

I'm fairly certain the park service really hates people going up like this.
And wonder if they won't take steps in the future to eliminate it.

When I got my permit Fri. the ranger wouldn't give me a permit for 4 Mile so I just gave up
and didn't go into detail how I planned on not killing myself and getting up it.
Instead just did the Pohono.

JMT and Mist was RIDONKULOUSLY busy Sat. Made me sorta sorry I went that way down.

Congrats

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 24, 2011 10:46AM
chick-on

I'm fairly certain the park service really hates people going up like this.
And wonder if they won't take steps in the future to eliminate it.

Unless they officially close the Half Dome Trail, like they do the Four Mile Trail, or they completely remove the cables each Fall, how (and why) would the Park Service try to eliminate it?

Especially since they allow rock climbers without any permits to scale any rocks and walls in Yosemite.

And it would be a bit futile in trying to close HDT since via crosscountry hiking and bushwhacking determined hikers could still reach the down cables (but with far more possible damage to the surrounding wilderness).

Ascending Half Dome with the cables down is nothing really more than a form of rock climbing, so unless the Park Service decides to ban rock climbing on Half Dome, how could they (and why would they) ban people from using the cables in the down position?

Also, through the history of the climbing Half Dome, have there been a lot of fatalities associated with people trying to ascend Half Dome with the cables down, especially relative to fatalities climbing Half Dome with the cables up? Or a relatively high rate of fatalities compared to other areas where fatalities regularly occur like the Emerald Pool above Vernal Falls?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 12:52PM by plawrence.
May 24, 2011 08:25PM
Sigh. Ya ya... I've been up myself with the cables down.
And in all honesty I thought it was easier cables down than up.
Grippy granite is much better than slick worn granite.
All they have to do is remove the lowest section of cables and then only true
rock climbers would scale with the cables down.
Rock climbers by the very nature of the sport have a clue of what they
are getting into. The average joe who wants to go up Half Dome..
not so much. Gung ho typical male youth... snow on subdome, cables down.
just my opinion... is a recipe for disaster... it's just a matter of time
especially with reports as such that say it is easy
This year the park service had the foresight to put up a "Half Dome Cables
Are Down" sign on the JMT sign.
A big issue imo is going up with lots of snow on the subdome. Going up not so much
an issue.... coming back down... one misstep and it's not so pretty.

Your opinion may vary

Have a nice day
May 24, 2011 08:10PM
Chick-on - nice Picassa album of your Pohono hike. Can you give me any idea what the conditions were like at Glacier Point? I'm supposed to get married there on Saturday June 4th at 3 pm and my fiance and other family members are concerned that it's going to be too cold. We've been told by someone who works at the park that they expect the road to Glacier Point to be open in time for the wedding, but we booked a back-up location at Yosemite Falls to be safe. I really want the ceremony to happen at Glacier Point, but I'm going to have a hard time convincing any woman they'll be comfortable in a dress in 50 degree weather and knee high snow! Thanks!
May 24, 2011 08:37PM
theslipperyelm
Chick-on - nice Picassa album of your Pohono hike. Can you give me any idea what the conditions were like at Glacier Point? I'm supposed to get married there on Saturday June 4th at 3 pm and my fiance and other family members are concerned that it's going to be too cold. We've been told by someone who works at the park that they expect the road to Glacier Point to be open in time for the wedding, but we booked a back-up location at Yosemite Falls to be safe. I really want the ceremony to happen at Glacier Point, but I'm going to have a hard time convincing any woman they'll be comfortable in a dress in 50 degree weather and knee high snow! Thanks!

It was just gorgeous up there. Not a person in sight. I would not worry too much.
If there is no rain and it's not windy... it's gonna be just beautiful. It almost always is.
It was warm enough that I do not recall putting on the poofy jacket. Just a long sleeve shirt.
Hung out up there quite a while having lunch and enjoying the day.

Here's the big lookout area:

Post a photo when the dead is done please.
And good luck.... you are no longer running the show... just remember that and you should be fine.
(I put a couple more of GP area in that set if you want to take another look)
(maybe don't show the misses them though... wink)

Congrats,

May 24, 2011 08:42PM
chick-on

Dead? Freud would be proud!
May 24, 2011 08:48PM
eeek
chick-on

Dead? Freud would be proud!

Ooops

May 25, 2011 09:24AM
Congrats theslipperyelm on your upcoming nuptials!

We got married in Yosemite June 2 27 years ago. Not on Glacier Point, but on our wedding day, we did get up at 4am and hike to Glacier Point to watch the hang gliders. We had a anniversary dinner for our 25th anniversary at Washburn Point.
November 19, 2011 02:46PM
This report is about five months late, but perhaps still of interest. I posted on here back in May about my upcoming June nuptials at Glacier Point. Unfortunately, the wedding was rained out of Glacier Point so we had to use our back up location at Yosemite Lodge. Thankfully, the weather cleared up enough the next day that we could get some good pictures. I'll post those in a separate post after I finish with this one. Here I want to talk about my "Bachelor Experience" hike that took place the week before the wedding and which included an accent of Half Dome with the cables down. Our hike started at the base of the Chilnualna Falls in Wawona on Memorial Day and our plan was to hike across the back country through Buena Vista Pass to Little Yosemite Valley and then continue on to the summit of Half Dome. Once we were past the top of the falls we ran into deep and persistent snow. My first time using a GPS device proved ill-fated and we quickly lost the trail. At the beginning of the second day two of our party of four turned back. Me and the remaining member of my party continued on till we made the Pass. All day we hiked a top 10 feet of snowpack and relied on snow bridges to cross all waterways. At the pass we made a misguided decision to try and shortcut up and over Horse Ridge in the direction of Hart Lake. Once atop the ridge we were faced with steep cliff like drop offs that we could not bypass. Exhausted, and doubting we could meet the other two members of our party at the rendezvous point in time we turned back. The next day, thanks to spotty cell reception we couldn't get word of our plan change to the two who had turned back the day before (and who had taken the car into the valley) so we had to hitch hike. Thankfully a retired oil driller and current Ahwahnee Hotel employee gave us a lift. I snagged a bogus backcountry permit to anywhere so that my buddy could crash at the backpacker's campground and I headed back on the trail to meet my other two buddies at the the rendezvous point: Little Yosemite Valley. That night, after I filled my friends in on my hitchhiking experience, and they filled me in on how they'd retrieved the keys they locked in my trunk, we came to a consensus: cables down or not we were going to the top of Half Dome. Because I had left my tent with my other buddy in the backpacker's campground the three of us spent a cramped night in a two man tent. The next day we made our way to the base of the sub dome where there was still plenty of snow. Snow at the base of the sub-dome isn't as intimidating as snow at the top because there it doesn't look as though a single slip could lead to the last butt powered sled ride of your life. Fully aware that any tragedy here would be a double tragedy because it had the potential to completely ruin my wedding day, we soldiered on. We coached one another on safety as we worked past the snow half way up the sub-dome and on again over the broad smooth snow patch at the top (trying my best not to look down or imagine any of my group losing balance and sliding head first into oblivion). At the top of the sub dome we met a young man on his way down who had camped overnight on top of Half Dome. Besides being against the rules this seemed especially crazy because the night before had been so cold and included small round hail-like snow. When we reached the base of the cables we saw two other people on their way up. We thought through things just enough to agree that we would ascend one at a time so that no one would have to contend with anyone else moving a cable around that they were using. In an effort to avoid over thinking the situation and talking myself out of it, and to spur on my friends, I lunged at the cables and made my way up bare handed as fast as I safety could. I recalled what I had read on this forum about looking for resting spots and took full advantage of them. When I reached the second section of the cables I yelled back to my friends about how easy the climb was, even though I was fighting my own fears. When we reached the top we met the two other climbers who had preceded us. When I explained what I was doing there one of them (from Atlanta I believe) mentioned that he had actually read about me and my upcoming wedding on this forum. We had a real small world moment complete with lots of smiles and pictures. Going back down was considerably easier, but I was still extremely paranoid about the snow on the sub-dome and I couldn't get my stomach out of my throat till we were off it. At the base of the sub-dome two of us actually enjoyed a butt powered sled ride down the last 50 feet. So there you have it. The story of my third trip to the top of Half Dome and my first without the cables up. We may have failed to make it there directly from Chilnualna, but there's always next year!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 03:25PM by theslipperyelm.
November 21, 2011 04:46PM
Thanks for sharing your story.

By any chance, did you take any photos while on top of Half Dome that you would like to share?

(And congratulations on your wedding.)
November 22, 2011 12:40PM
Well, I decided to register so I could respond to theslipperyelm's story. I am one of the two guys he met on top of Half Dome and had recognized him from his wedding post here. I had been reading this forum trying to soak in info about the difficulty of ascending with the cables down.

First off, I'm going to agree with his feelings about the snow situation on sub-dome and admit that was the most difficult part of the hike for me. Of course I am a novice in snow since I am from South Louisiana. We also enjoyed a slide down the last 50 or so feet.

The climb up the cables was not bad at all, partly because my friend and I played it safe, strapping on climbing harnesses and sliding up the cables via a prusik knot. It could have been done without but being connected to the cables left me feeling no nervousness whatsoever and allowed us to rest here and there if needed. Using the prusik knot was simple and did not slow down the ascent too much. Just leave it open a little and in front of your hand as you move up the cables.

All in all this backpacking trip was the best I have been on yet. Yosemite and the view from Half Dome is exceptional. With the cables being down the trail was relatively empty (above Vernal Fall at least) making it quite pleasant. I will be back next year, probably in the Tuolumne Meadows area.

Btw, it was nice meeting you theslipperyelm. Here are a couple photos I have from the day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/wheelr/31052.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/wheelr/mecables.jpg
November 22, 2011 01:43PM
OK. There is a lot of talk about Cables down. Maybe this will help someone in the future.
This is what I wrote to Steve on May 15th.

It's nice to hear people using Prusik. I wouldn't go up again w/o it. Not worth the risk imo
(been there... done that)

me
The quick answer is that I would bring crampons if I were doing it THIS year now.
I wouldn't chance it.

Guarantee you that the trail to the HD/JMT junction is free of snow by now though.
(heck, it was free of snow on April 10th)
There may be feet of snow a ways beyond there but since it is south facing I wouldn't
think it would be that bad for much of it. It's probably consolidated enough that you could get
away without postholing toooooo much. I personally wouldn't chance it w/o crampons for the
subdome though without seeing a picture to believe it this year that the entire steps are free of snow.
Additionally the section of trail that comes in from the north below the subdome is
probably still covered in significant snow and would be icy in the morning.
In direct response to one of your questions I would be very very surprised to find no snow
on the "steeper" section after the steps on the subdome (I think the steps are a lot steeper though
and that is what I would be most concerned with btw).

Here's the subdome on April 10th:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/MercedLake#5595265425229632210

Here's what it looked like on April 23rd:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/OlmstedPt#5599748954271122402
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,34481,34527#msg-34527

You perhaps looked at pictures I put here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,25438,25438#msg-25438
I went up HD in 2009 on May 8th... and then up and over Clouds.

I don't think people realize just how much snow has dropped this year compared to past years.
Just to give you an idea, this is Wilma Cabin in Jack Main Cabin from last weekend:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/JackMain#5604884312143248258

So that's mainly why I wouldn't chance it and not take crampons. Yeah, the subdome clears up
early due to the aspect and all... but... I'd carry them.
I plan on going up 4Mile next weekend if xyz occur/don't occur... and I'll be carrying crampons
and perhaps snowshoes (postholing blows).

Probably too much info. Blah blah blah.

Good luck
May 24, 2011 07:41AM
Wasn't it cold?
May 24, 2011 08:09AM
Bob Weaver
Wasn't it cold?

They wore clothes.
(Also, you would be amazed how warm physical exertion keeps one.)
Berry Bear wore a fur coat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 08:18AM by szalkowski.
May 24, 2011 08:47AM
Bob Weaver
Wasn't it cold?
Bob, this is a legitimate question.

Sure it CAN get really cold in the Sierra.
But... typically it's just really gorgeous out there.
Sure in Dec-Feb if you stop hiking then you need to put on layers to stay warm...
but unless you are at very high elevation... which is a chore to get to in Yosemite
when the roads are closed. It is very mild.
I've put up a few trip reports in Dec/Feb/Mar/April... and in most you can see
we are hiking in nearly the same exact clothes we do so in the summer.
Just add one layer of undershirt.
Maybe look at this one from mid April:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,33643,33643#msg-33643
Or poke around the photos in my picasa...
It's not that bad out there. In fact it's down right sweet.

I've been poo poo'd in the past that it doesn't get so cold in the Sierra.
But that is what we normally experience.

May 24, 2011 10:17AM
There's a reason why John Muir called the Sierra the "Gentle Wilderness".
May 24, 2011 10:56AM
plawrence
There's a reason why John Muir called the Sierra the "Gentle Wilderness".
You got it. And I for one am very thankful for it.
smiling smiley

(I left Wisconsin for a reason... ) wink

May 24, 2011 09:56AM
Air temperature at Tuolumne Meadows (el. 8.6k) for the past seven days:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=1643&end=05%2F24%2F2011+09%3A46&geom=medium&interval=7&cookies=cdec01
[The top of Half South Dome is <300 ft. higher.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 09:57AM by szalkowski.
May 24, 2011 11:00AM
Yup. And change the days to 100 and you can see that it does get cold.
But with todays technology you kinda have an idea of what to expect before you go.
So... maybe don't head out into the wilderness if they say it's gonna dump
4 feet o snow and/or there is a major cold front bombing in.

May 24, 2011 10:31AM
Regarding the cold: I started out wearing a lightweight long-sleeve T plus a short-sleeve T. Took off the long-sleeve at the top of Vernal Fall.

I had a rain parka in the pack for the Mist part, wore it, but really didn't need it. Didn't use it on the way down, got slightly wet, but it dries fast. The mist was less than I expected, probably due to the recent cooler weather.

I also carried a fleece jacket plus the rain parka (and pants too) all the way up and back down. Never needed them. However, if any significant wind had come along, they would have been welcome.

I have a tiny thermometer on my pack, and it read ~53 degrees at the HD / CR trail split. I was amazed it was that cool -- it felt more like 65.

BTW, several more nice pics:
Dogwood

Snow plant

We left the main trail just below the sub-dome, and headed cross-country down to the Merced River. Only a few places of bushwhacking required. In one area, snow plants were everywhere!

. . Whitney Hikers Association . . .
June 06, 2011 12:11PM
We attempted Half Dome this last weekend (June 4, 2011). The trail was superb. A light rain kept the dust down and the people away. We hiked the trail and saw fewer than 40 people above Nevada Falls.

Just below the stairs, the rain turned into a light snow. It was more like ice crystals than flakes and would melt immediatly upon impact. We pressed on up the stairs and onto a small snow field on the sub-dome. This was easily crossed and we made it to the base of the cables without incident. At this point, we proceeded to gear up. We decided to put on harnesses and attach to the cables as a precautionary measure due to the weather. Had the sun been up and the face of the rock dry, we would have gone up without any gear.

Before clipping to the cables, we stashed our packs under some rocks to protect them from the snow and wind. The temperature as we clipped on the line was 37 deg and I would put the wind at 20-30 mph. We put on our gloves and started up. To my surprise the rock was not slick. The face was wet, but we saw no ice at all. The ability to move the cable from side to side makes path finding quite easy. We had no trouble ascending in this manner. By straddling the cable, you could keep it between your legs and just walk up the face. We made it about a quarter of the way up when the flaw in our thinking became evident. We had chosen work gloves to insure good grip on the cable. These worked great (no slipping), but offered little insulation from the 37 deg wet cable. As our gloves absorbed the water, the temperature of the cable became abundantly clear. It was a rather easy decision at this point. With functionality in the hands quickly diminishing, we knew that we had been beaten by the mountain. We headed back down and kicked ourselves for bringing the wrong gloves.

There is little doubt in my mind that this will be one of my most memorable trips to Half Dome, even though we failed to summit. We got to see a side of Yosemite that most people don't get to see. The trail to the summit without people. I will definitely be looking to try this gain, but next time I will remember the gloves.

By the way, on this one trip, we saw 25 deer, 2 bears, and fewer than 40 people. Not a bad ratio.
June 06, 2011 03:37PM
brilliant

June 11, 2011 02:09PM
We went up 2 days ago, on June 09. First time to the park, and I had resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to do Half Dome. I didn't realize it was possible to go up with the cables down, until I came across this forum post. Thank SteveC! We had a great hike, with great weather. It was definitely exhausting going up, but sooo worth it. Had about 7 people at the top when we were up there, and saw a few more people approaching on our way down. A couple pics:

snow on the ground as you approach sub dome

snow on sub dome

Marmot digging through my pack

Rest of the picasa pics

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2011 08:56PM by Gomez.
June 11, 2011 05:37PM
nice pictures!

my boy and i will be attempting mid-next week -- totally inspired by your post & pics!

was the sub-dome tricky with the snow? i think i've read where that's what's keeping the cables down -- the precarious snow on the sub-dome. how were the cables sans posts?
June 11, 2011 08:47PM
sub dome was a little tricky in spots, yeah. It started in snow before we got high enough to find the steps/trail, and then about half-way up, the trail went through about 15 fairly steep steps of snow. Then there was a bunch of snow at the top of sub dome, but that part felt less steep so not too scary. It was wet/melting snow for us, so we just went really slow and kicked in our boots with each step. Hiking poles helped alot also. On the cables, we would find a reasonable close ledge or foothold and then make a dash for it, holding the cable between your legs. Rest a while and get your breath back, then go for the next ledge. We stopped and rested in like 8 spots, took us about 25 minutes to go up. No one waiting to go up behind us, so no hurry, and I was glad for that. I would guess that when the cables are up you move at a slower and steadier pace, with better posture...maybe easier, not sure. I'm about 6'2 tall, so hunching over to hold the cables was kind of clunky and hard on the thighs. The lack of other people on the cables with us was a big benefit. On the way down I held a cable in each hand and just stepped backwards slowly, much easier than going up. Two other things - I was very glad I had brought a water purifier, we refilled bottles 3 times. The big mistake I made was not wearing a hat or sunscreen, 12 hours on the trail gave me a pretty good sunburn.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2011 08:53PM by Gomez.
June 11, 2011 06:43PM
Great photos on your Picasa page. Thanks for sharing.
November 22, 2011 02:57PM
I went through and found some of my friend's photos he took around the sub-dome area. Maybe it will help give an idea of what it was like. Like I mentioned, I found it more difficult than ascending the cables.

*edit - This was June 2nd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 02:57PM by wheelr.
November 22, 2011 05:48PM
wheelr
I went through and found some of my friend's photos he took around the sub-dome area. Maybe it will help give an idea of what it was like. Like I mentioned, I found it more difficult than ascending the cables.

*edit - This was June 2nd.

In this picture's background has one of my favorite mountains. Gotta love "Watson..." winking smiley
December 29, 2011 08:09AM
So, I gotta bump this thread and ask: Has anyone been up the cables lately?

With the dearth of snow, it would seem a tempting option <devious smile>.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login