Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Mosquito info?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 27, 2011 07:31AM
Good morning all. Does anyone know of any trouble from our " blood-sucking " friends in the valley or from any other parts of park? My trip will be in mid June and just curious how bad they will get. First timer for June trip. I always have visited in winter months. Thanks for any info you can relay this way. Have a Great Memorial Day weekend!Mosquito biting
Re: Mosquito info?
May 27, 2011 07:47AM
My experience in the Valley in June is that they are pretty thick in the meadows but in the non-grassy areas like the campgrounds, and trails away from meadows and grass, that you rarely come across them. But this year might be a banner year with mosquitos because of all the precipitation.
May 27, 2011 09:03AM
That is exatly what I expereienced there last year in June. You forget sometimes to put it on because they are not around in the campground or where you are staying, and then take a walk through a meadow and are eaten alive. Even when taking the shuttle to get a bite to eat, always take some spray just in case you see a bear in a meadow or something on your way back!
May 27, 2011 07:26PM
I think the smoke from the campgrounds tends to shoo them away, because in other parts of the valley, regardless if it's meadow or woodlands, they can be very active and persistent in June (and July).

What you hope for is breezy weather. The breeze and wind helps keep them at bay. OTOH, on calm days, especially in the evenings and mornings they can be out there in force.
May 27, 2011 07:31PM
beardbuster
Good morning all. Does anyone know of any trouble from our " blood-sucking " friends in the valley or from any other parts of park? My trip will be in mid June and just curious how bad they will get. First timer for June trip. I always have visited in winter months. Thanks for any info you can relay this way. Have a Great Memorial Day weekend!Mosquito biting

Just hope they don't bite you too often. Who knows much radioactive snow melt they have been exposed to in their egg, larva, pupa stages of life, let alone flying around as an adult. Be careful out there...
May 29, 2011 08:15AM
plawrence
beardbuster

Just hope they don't bite you too often. Who knows much radioactive snow melt they have been exposed to in their egg, larva, pupa stages of life, let alone flying around as an adult. Be careful out there...

And if you notice they are glowing in the dark...
May 29, 2011 09:33AM
Then California will finally have fireflies.
May 30, 2011 05:52AM
We hiked through Sunrise HSC in mid July last year, and the mosquitoes were "biblical".
Black clouds of swarming blood suckers. The sound was chilling. Even with head nets on, it gave me goose bumps. Ran, through the gauntlet non stop for about a mile and a half.
May 30, 2011 07:04AM
waterman
We hiked through Sunrise HSC in mid July last year, and the mosquitoes were "biblical".
Black clouds of swarming blood suckers. The sound was chilling. Even with head nets on, it gave me goose bumps. Ran, through the gauntlet non stop for about a mile and a half.

Yeh, they love those grassy meadows around Sunrise HSC.

Two years ago I did a day hike to Sunrise Lakes in mid-July. As I was going up the switchback folks were descending wearing head nets where there was not a mosquito in sight. Managed to keep any comments to myself. I presumed they needed them at the lakes and/or Sunrise HSC. When I arrived at the lakes around 10:30 there were a few idle mosquitos about but nothing like what I was expecting. My clothing had been treated with Sawyer's Permethrin and I was also using bug juice on any exposed skin. It is likely that most mornings and evenings are the worse times near lakes and streams while around mid-day they get a lot thinner. A day later I was at Young Lakes at mid-day and they were pretty bad within 100' of the lower lake but almost non-existant when you got further away.
May 30, 2011 06:07AM
Mid June, they should be a nightmare. With the amount of snow now, it'll be boggy as hell come mid June, they will be out in force. Prepare to bathe in DEET and head for the windy ridges to be left alone from the flying menace of mosquitoes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login