Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sierra National Forest Begins Fire Season

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sierra National Forest Begins Fire Season
June 03, 2011 01:06PM
Sierra National Forest Begins Fire Season
For immediate release.

Clovis, CA (June 2, 2011)...The Sierra National Forest begins fire season staffing patterns for fire suppression, prevention and detection resources June 5. Resources will be available seven days a week for suppression of fires on national forest lands or within lands administered by Sierra National Forest cooperators. Resources include: three Hotshot (20 person) hand crews, 12 fire engines, one dozer, three lookouts, 14 patrols and three helicopters in addition to fire management overhead. Firefighters and crews are currently training in preparation for the start of fire season; fire season is initiated when vegetation begins to dry out and the potential for natural or human caused fires increases. Currently, the Sierra National Forest has one engine module assigned to wildfire support in Texas, and one helicopter module assigned to the Gila National Forest in New Mexico. The Kings River Hotshot Crew has been released from the Horseshoe 2 Fire in Arizona and is returning home. Since April, the Sierra National Forest has provided fire suppression support to the states of Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2011 01:17PM by eeek.
June 03, 2011 03:42PM
Interesting. Does anyone know the date last year of this same action? "When vegetation starts to dry out"? Are they saying that these huge amounts of snow are pocketed and there are areas that are normally dry this time of year already? A little confusing.
avatar Re: Sierra National Forest Begins Fire Season
June 03, 2011 03:47PM
The forest is quite large and the lower elevations are already dry. What's the confusion?
June 03, 2011 06:28PM
Yeah, the snow/water run off is going to catch fire.

But seriously, eeek is right, not all NF is high elevation. It seems like Angeles NF is always under threat from fire, even year round.
June 03, 2011 04:04PM
Just thought that there would not be any fire problems until July or so but then you reminded me that some of these National Forests cover a wide range of elevations. So here's an interesting exercise: Which U.S. National Forest has the highest lowest elevation within it's boundaries?
June 03, 2011 07:11PM
This is a good time to put in a note for Miami Mountain Lookout. It is staffed, all summer, by volunteers. We could always use some new volunteers. I try to do at least one day a month. It makes for a nice quiet day.... unless you get a fire. There is a computer with Internet connection, a microwave, a refrigerator, a TV, satellite radio, and a bed of you wish to spend the night.

It's fun. Anyone can do it. Let me know if you're interested.

http://www.fire-lookouts.org/cali/miami_mtn/index.htm
June 03, 2011 07:25PM
Can't we just stick the Marmut Guy and The Old Dude in there?

It would do them good.

Nothing but Troublemakers them

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 03, 2011 07:32PM
Dave
Miami Mountain

There's two words that shouldn't go together.
June 03, 2011 07:46PM
Oh, they go together....in a big way.
June 04, 2011 01:00AM
Dave
This is a good time to put in a note for Miami Mountain Lookout. It is staffed, all summer, by volunteers. We could always use some new volunteers. I try to do at least one day a month. It makes for a nice quiet day.... unless you get a fire. There is a computer with Internet connection, a microwave, a refrigerator, a TV, satellite radio, and a bed of you wish to spend the night.

Is the microwave big enough for an entire, half-baked (i.e., pink) chikin with size 13 feet?
(Gigahertzly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 01:09AM by szalkowski.
June 04, 2011 04:44PM
szalkowski
Is the microwave big enough for an entire, half-baked (i.e., pink) chikin with size 13 feet?
(Gigahertzly Yours)
The Marmots
We could just cut the feet off. Then the chicken AND the marmot will fit.
June 04, 2011 04:49PM
Dave
We could just cut the feet off. Then the chicken AND the marmot will fit.

I don't know. Would anybody be willing to eat Twinkie flavored marmot?
June 04, 2011 05:04PM
eeek
I don't know. Would anybody be willing to eat Twinkie flavored marmot?
Dan White?

Anyway.... by adding Twinkie to the chicken; it will never go bad. But, the chicken in question is pretty tough so you will have to make it holy... boil the hell out of it.
June 04, 2011 05:12PM
Dave
szalkowski
(Gigahertzly Yours)
The Marmots
We could just cut the feet off.

http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-chicken-feet-3110
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login