Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Best starting and ending trailheads for North/South Rim hikes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best starting and ending trailheads for North/South Rim hikes
June 15, 2011 10:49AM
Next week, looking to hit 4 mile--panorama--mist and Yosemite falls--north dome--snow creek. Will be starting off from Curry--likely around 6-6:30 each morning.

For the north rim hike, which is the better starting point--Snow Creek or Yosemite Falls? Since I will be headed down in the afternoon, I assume Snow Creek would be the better morning option as there is greater shade with Yosemite Falls. Also, if my back holds, when I hit the top of Yosemite Falls, I will know whether I have additional miles in me to hit Eagle Peak. One concern I have is the creek crossing between Snow Creek and North Dome--if I came from the falls side I would simply head back to the falls if the crossing is too dangerous. I assume a personal preference but looking for any opinions.

For the south side (focused on lighting for photos). Better to head up 4 mile in the morning with sun rising or down 4 mile with sun more to my back? Leaving early in the morning (no luck getting transportation to the 4 mile trailhead), so I will either have to hike it from Curry or take my rental. If I start off at Mist--at least I have a chance (with a long wait) to catch the shuttle back to Curry (indeed, same morning shuttle/transportation problem that I will have for the north rim hike).

Thanks in advance.
avatar Re: Best starting and ending trailheads for North/South Rim hikes
June 15, 2011 12:57PM
I'd go up Yosemite Falls. If you are toooo late coming down it then it will be in shadow.
You'll have good sun coming down Snow Creek.

I'd also go up 4 Mile. Most views are to Yose Falls and west.
Going up Mist you have sun in your face to start so coming down JMT or Mist later is mo betta.

That's my analysis

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Best starting and ending trailheads for North/South Rim hikes
June 15, 2011 06:08PM
Thanks Chick for the advice. Going up the Falls first likely allows me to stay ahead of the crowd. Was not thinking of the shadow on the falls when coming down 4 mile--hoping to hit Moran Point (we'll see how good I am in following your directions).
avatar Re: Best starting and ending trailheads for North/South Rim hikes
June 17, 2011 12:04AM
For photography purposes, I concur that it would be best to hike up the Four Mile Trail in the morning, where you'll have good morning light on Yosemite Falls and El Capitan, Cathedral Rocks and other sights in the west valley. And coming down either the Mist or JMT trail in the afternoon with give your very nice light on Nevada and Vernal Falls.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login