Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: High Temps this week

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

High Temps this week
June 20, 2011 08:01AM
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA1269

These high temps happening this week made me think of a question...

Say, the temp around the park everywhere jumped up 10 degrees, how long would it take the new rush of water to hit Happy Isles? or rather, how long after the peak temperature for the day is the river level reflecting its peak height? 20min? hour? half a day?
June 20, 2011 08:04AM
The high water peaks at night, so it takes all day for the snow to melt sufficiently to raise the water significantly. I can't remember the exact time, but somewhere between 11pm and 2 am I think. When I was photographing the moonbow from the meadow trail, I started around 9:30 and there was water lapping at the edge of the trail. By the time I returned to camp 3 hours later, the trail was almost completely flooded, up to 2 inches in some spots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 08:04AM by hotrod4x5.
June 20, 2011 08:16AM
I'm wondering why I bothered answering anything about Florence and Clark.
That's what I'm wondering...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 20, 2011 08:02PM
chick-on

Because you are sucker for backcountry questions! Also, I'm sure there was an article in Backpacker magazine that mentioned the Clark Range...
June 23, 2011 09:07AM
chick-on

Your answer did not go unused! I read your post and read BBurds article about his day trip and decided to try it myself. I didn't mind the drive or the hike but it was an unsuccessful trip. very sad to say. When I've had unfinished business with a peak before I've gotten my redemption so the same will hold true for Clark.

followed BBurds times almost exactly except he had less daylight to work with

2:30am left san jose
6:15am started on the trail
12:15pm got to my highest point
5:00pm back at the car
6:45pm traffic finally let up but I took a nap in the car so it was no big deal
10:30pm got home

Late Aug....
June 23, 2011 09:30AM
I lost my clairvoyance at an early age so it was impossible for me to tell.

I would have said that at this time... I would go for Florence from Valley floor...
Heck, I contemplated it myself when was sleeping above Echo Valley last
Friday night... but Washburn was a bigger draw for me... and I completely
forgot about Triple Peak Fork falls... which made the decision a very smart one...

How high did you get?

Clark is on my list for this year.... but we'll see... too much stuff on list...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 23, 2011 01:41PM
chick-on
I lost my clairvoyance at an early age so it was impossible for me to tell.

I would have said that at this time... I would go for Florence from Valley floor...
Heck, I contemplated it myself when was sleeping above Echo Valley last
Friday night... but Washburn was a bigger draw for me... and I completely
forgot about Triple Peak Fork falls... which made the decision a very smart one...

How high did you get?

Clark is on my list for this year.... but we'll see... too much stuff on list...

I got up to about 9000'. Florence from the Valley floor.... sounds like a good time.

As for this weekend I am still trying to throw around ideas. Maybe over to Ostrander maybe elsewhere.

With the fourth coming up I need to get plans for that
June 20, 2011 11:37AM
A ranger once told us that it takes 12 hours for the water from the melted snow to go from the high country to the Valley. Hotrod4x5 is correct in saying the the highest is somewhere between 11 pm and 2 am. Once while we were taking some time lapsed photos from near Sentinel Bridge we watched the water rise over a few hours period of time.
June 23, 2011 01:57PM
Snow depth plots for the last 100 days from the sensors at White Wolf and Dana Meadows. Rapid decrease in depths over the past two weeks quite apparent.

White Wolf (kissing bare ground):
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=15885&end=06%2F23%2F2011+13%3A46&geom=medium&interval=100&cookies=cdec01

Dana Meadows (still enough to bury the Chick-on):
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=11686&end=06%2F23%2F2011+13%3A49&geom=medium&interval=100&cookies=cdec01

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 08:44PM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login