Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Making quick Plan B - best Sierra tent camping?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Making quick Plan B - best Sierra tent camping?
June 25, 2011 07:48AM
I'll be in Yosemite Valley leaving tomorrow (6/26) through Thursday. My original plan was spend a few days in the Valley before getting out of dodge before the holiday weekend and going up to camp near Tuolumne Meadows. As we now know, none of the campgrounds along the Tioga Road are open. I'm now in Plan B mode... I have some ideas for places, but I'm looking for suggestions of those super great, little known spots...

What I'm looking for... first-come, first-serve camping (prefer at least basic vault toilets, don't necessarily need water); either in Sierra National Forest south of Yosemite or maybe Eastern Sierras; preferably small, not too crowded; would love to get a spot along a creek or lake. I've scoured my maps and the internet, but considering I've never camped in this area (except Mammoth Lakes), I'm hoping you experts can help me out. Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2011 11:17AM by campgirl333.
June 25, 2011 10:37PM
There are some first come campgrounds along Lee Vining Creek ( HWY 120) a few miles west of Lee Vining. Some are Forest Service or run by Lee Vining City. Lots of creekside sites.
June 26, 2011 05:39AM
I think we will drive Tioga pass and head back south via the 395. I'll check out some of those places, maybe basecamp from their for Tuolumne Meadows. And I'm off... Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login