All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar May Lake High Sierra Camp
June 26, 2011 03:05PM
I hope you don't need to take a shower:

A weeeeee bit o snow still:

And had Hoffman nearly to myself:

(the two big rock thingies were fun to climb on) (one had an bonus Silver Bench Maker)

From up there could see The Bald Fire, that Lower Cathedral is still a frozen ova... and that there is a bit o snow still...

Have fun (we do)

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: May Lake High Sierra Camp
June 26, 2011 03:22PM
Here's one from Hoffman Peakie:

Re: May Lake High Sierra Camp
June 26, 2011 03:22PM
Whoa! Are the trails difficult to follow through all the snow? I am going to GCT from may lake trailhead mid July and I would prefer not to get lost in the snow.

Thanks for the pictures!
June 26, 2011 05:50PM
MOOOOSE
Whoa! Are the trails difficult to follow through all the snow? I am going to GCT from may lake trailhead mid July and I would prefer not to get lost in the snow.

Thanks for the pictures!

If the trails are under snow, have a map and gps.

By mid july there will be lot less snow, but still patches, and lots of water standing around.
June 26, 2011 06:18PM
AlmostThere
lots of water standing around

What's it standing around for?

June 26, 2011 06:25PM
chick-on
AlmostThere

It has no idea that the trolley doesn't stop there anymore.
(Ratmobilely Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 06:59PM by szalkowski.
June 27, 2011 04:34AM
chick-on
AlmostThere

Waiting for pink chickens in canoes, of course.
June 26, 2011 08:07PM
AlmostThere

No compass?
June 27, 2011 04:35AM
eeek
AlmostThere

No compass?

Everyone knows you need a compass, right? It's on every ten essentials list. People carry them without a clue of how to use them.

Why I'm frustrated with the ten essentials list... doesn't remind people they need to know how to use stuff. tongue sticking out smiley
June 26, 2011 03:23PM
Here's two of the Bald Fire:
(they are suppressing it with helitopers and buckets o water)

June 26, 2011 03:44PM
Great shots, thanks!
June 26, 2011 06:07PM
Thanks for posting. Do you have any more pics ? Only 7 on Picasa....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 06:07PM by The Other Tom.
June 26, 2011 07:32PM
The Other Tom
I put a few more and annotated them...

Pretty much I bopped around Tuolumne Meadows area... up Pothole..
then went up to May Lake and Hoffman and spent the night...

Long story short... next day went up Davey Llama Dome... <to be shown in another post>

June 27, 2011 03:49AM
chick-on
The Other Tom
I put a few more and annotated them...

Pretty much I bopped around Tuolumne Meadows area... up Pothole..
then went up to May Lake and Hoffman and spent the night...

Long story short... next day went up Davey Llama Dome... <to be shown in another post>
Thanks. I'll check them after work. Can't see Picasa at work smiling smiley
June 27, 2011 03:47PM
June 27, 2011 06:55PM
chick-on
Direct link is:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Hoffman

Very nice, thanks. The small ridge east (?) of the HSC is one of my favorite viewing spots in Yosemite.
June 27, 2011 08:25PM
The Other Tom

Very nice, thanks. The small ridge east (?) of the HSC is one of my favorite viewing spots in Yosemite.

Yes, that is a great little ridge... great view... from Half Dome to Conness/North Mountain, Tenaya Lake,
lots of the domes of Tuolumne... ahh...
(that is where I camped)

Here's another:

January 11, 2012 06:36PM
chick-on
The Other Tom

Yes, that is a great little ridge... great view... from Half Dome to Conness/North Mountain, Tenaya Lake,
lots of the domes of Tuolumne... ahh...
(that is where I camped)

Here's another:

Nice pic, but where's Half Dome?
January 11, 2012 06:42PM
It's on the right....

tongue sticking out smiley

(sew ez.. when I already gotz one in da set)

June 26, 2011 08:03PM
I wondered where that fire was. I was up on the ridge above Kibbie Lake/Creek this weekend and we definitely saw the smoke. We noticed it around early afternoon on Saturday and today as well.
June 26, 2011 09:25PM
Anyone that drove on Evergreen Rd. (I didn't) should have been able to see it from Ackerson Meadow area.

More info here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/current_fire.htm

I took photos of the Fire Info boards... but this shows it better:
http://www.nps.gov/fire/news/photos/20110627_CA-YNP-1641_Bald_WEB.jpg

October 28, 2011 12:51PM
Too bad it didn't burn to the trail. That section of trail is so overgrown it could have used a 'cleaning'. Only section of trail in the park that I couldn't follow and needed to use my map/compass/gps to make sure I was going the right way.
October 28, 2011 01:13PM
buster

Too bad it didn't burn to the trail. That section of trail is so overgrown it could have used a 'cleaning'. Only section of trail in the park that I couldn't follow and needed to use my map/compass/gps to make sure I was going the right way.

Been on the old Tioga Pass Road trail lately?

Actually, it's probably a good thing the fire didn't burn to the trail. It's probably a result of a fire that swept through the area of the old Tioga Pass Road between the Yosemite Creek Campground and the Porcupine Creek Campground that did that old road in as a useable trail by letting the fire and the increased of sunlight to germinate many pine and fir seeds that were laying on the old roadbed. Those seeds sprouted and now many young pine and fir trees inhabited the area that once was the old roadbed.
October 30, 2011 07:55PM
Really? I get what you are saying... Around the pond there's a lot of deadfall...
but I didn't find the trail difficult to follow anywhere else really.
Last time was there was in 2008. I know trail work S of the pond was done
relatively recently before 2008.

November 01, 2011 09:29AM
Oh, it was just the white thorn bushes right at that corner of trail that had completely overgrown the trail. Couldn't even see the cut logs, or really any logs for that matter, that usually help me indicate where the trail was. I knew roughly where I was, just wasn't sure which drainage to go up and didn't really want to backtrack through all the white thorn if I picked the wrong one. I was there July 11, 2008 so sometime around the time you must have been there.

Haven't made it up that section of the Old Tioga Rd, but I would think fire would help clear up the area, provided it is not a 'catastrophic' fire. Clears out the underbrush and smaller trees, the bigger trees survive and have more room to grow. I thought that fires in general are healthy for a forest. But I don't know enough about fire to say authoritatively if it would be good for that area.
November 01, 2011 09:54AM
I hear you loud and clear. The whole area around Ackerson Mdw/Baseline camp has a whole lotta white thorn.
There used to be trails right to Ackerson... (there's some old signs still there you may have seen) ..
even getting to the top of Bald Mtn. is "fun". Been meaning to go up Bald from Ackerson... yet another one on the
ever growing list. Also in that area are some incredible 'balancing' rock formations.

November 01, 2011 09:57AM
The fire in the old Tioga Pass Road did clear out the underbrush. There's very little of it in the open forest besides the old road. Unfortunately, from what I can see the fire also helped germinate hundreds of pine and fir tree seeds that were laying about on the old road bed and young pines and firs sprouted from these seeds within the cracks of the old roadbed. So along many portions of the old road, the road itself has become a small stand of dense young firs or pines while the forest next to the road is open and easy to traverse (except for the deadfall scattered all about).

In fact, when I was hiking along the old road, when I wasn't sure where the old road had turned, I just looked for the small stands of fir or pine trees, and sure enough, that's where the road continued!
January 12, 2012 07:39AM
Thanks for rescesitating this thread. It brought back memories of wandering up the little canyone above Kibbie. Damn I really love that country.
January 12, 2012 07:54AM
oakroscoe
Thanks for rescesitating this thread. It brought back memories of wandering up the little canyone above Kibbie. Damn I really love that country.
I gotz to presume that you missed this then:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,49907,49932#msg-49932

Was surprised you didn't pipe in on that one...
Thought of you as we were xing up to the pond to get our skate-on
tongue sticking out smiley

January 12, 2012 08:11AM
Great pics! Thank you for sharing. I remember thinking how cool it was seeing ice floating on Kibbie back in June. That was great to see. Looks like a blast. I missed a bit being sick over Christmas.
May 09, 2012 02:53PM
i am going on a hike the week from 6/9 to 6/15 on high sierra trail. should we expect this much snow ? ?
May 09, 2012 03:53PM
yourwheeldude
i am going on a hike the week from 6/9 to 6/15 on high sierra trail. should we expect this much snow ? ?

The High Sierra Loop (in Yosemite), or the High Sierra Trail (in Sequoia)?

The former probably will probably have some lingering snow near May Lake, Sunrise Lakes, and Vogelsang/Tuolumne Pass. The latter, since the south got much less snow, will probably be snow-free except for patches right around Kaweah Gap and Mt. Whitney. Of course, it all depends on how much the snow melts and if we get any late storms... but generally this year is much drier than last year, especially down south.
May 09, 2012 04:53PM
High sierra loop in Yose.
May 09, 2012 04:06PM
yourwheeldude

Do you mean the High Sierra Trail in Sequoia?
May 10, 2012 12:13PM
Nice pics and congrats on adding another bechmarker to the list!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login