Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Dats a lotta wood (A diff perspective of Hetch Hetchy)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Dats a lotta wood (A diff perspective of Hetch Hetchy)
July 18, 2011 02:08PM
July 18, 2011 02:33PM
Cool shot, chick-on! I took a quick look at your Picassa albums but didn't notice which one this was from (if any). It makes me realize, though, that although I've done a couple of short day-hikes around Hetch Hetchy, I've never seen pictures of where the Tuolumne stops being a river and starts being a valley-killer (aka, reservoir). I'm guessing that that happens right around the very bottom of this picture (that IS Wapama off in the distance near the upper center of the picture, isn't it?). Have you got any shots of that area?
avatar Re: Dats a lotta wood (A diff perspective of Hetch Hetchy)
July 18, 2011 03:04PM
That fall is actually Tueeulala.
I do have another zoom shot taken further west that you can make out bottom of Wapama.
Look here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Double

Photo above was taken yesterday...

You can find a zillion photos of HH and Wapama on the web.

Some you prolly won't find are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/JackMain
(look at the end)

And you may enjoy this video (I posted it before):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEogPynqX5k

p.s. I'm not a big fan of Strawberry Ice Cream

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 18, 2011 03:16PM
chick-on

That fall is actually Tueeulala.

What's cools about this perspective of Tueeulala Fall is that it looks somewhat like Upper Yosemite Fall and the middle cascades of Yosemite Falls. I wonder if the reservoir wasn't there would there be a Lower Tueeulala Falls to complete the picture?

Nice shot.
July 18, 2011 04:09PM
plawrence
What's cools about this perspective of Tueeulala Fall is that it looks somewhat like Upper Yosemite Fall and the middle cascades of Yosemite Falls..

So I'm not the only one that noticed that.
July 18, 2011 07:21PM
plawrence
What's cools about this perspective of Tueeulala Fall is that it looks somewhat like Upper Yosemite Fall and the middle cascades of Yosemite Falls. I wonder if the reservoir wasn't there would there be a Lower Tueeulala Falls to complete the picture?

I suspect there would be (after all, the water had to keep going down after the "middle falls" ) although I've never seen pre-dam pictures of HH taken from the right perspective (and at the right time of year) to tell for sure. While doing a quick online search just now, I found these fabulous shotstaken by Joseph LeConte around the turn of the century (most of these I've not seen before). Really beautiful but also makes me that much sadder that, even if they started dismantling the dam today, I probably wouldn't be able to see views like this again in my lifetime.

Also some interesting roll-over pictures here where the current lake level is displayed when you "mouse-over" the old picture:

FYI, chick-on...the Jack Main pix are great (as always!) but I wasn't asking about pictures of Wapama but rather of the upper HH Valley at the point where the Tuolomne stops being a river and starts being the reservoir. Put another way, I want to see what's upstream (i.e., beneath the bottom edge of) from the bottom edge of the shot you posted above.
July 18, 2011 09:42PM
DavidK42
FYI, chick-on...the Jack Main pix are great (as always!) but I wasn't asking about pictures of Wapama but rather of the upper HH Valley at the point where the Tuolomne stops being a river and starts being the reservoir. Put another way, I want to see what's upstream (i.e., beneath the bottom edge of) from the bottom edge of the shot you posted above.
O

Um... take another look at the set. I put another one or two.
It just kinda dumps into the res. Pretty interesting.
btw... the same sorta perspective can be seen from the trail down into Pate before
crossing Morrison. The view above was interesting to me b/c of the drift wood
and the fact you can see soooo much of the reservoir. A bit more than from Morrison xing.

I've spied it from a bunch of different locations. This one is interesting to me:

Unfortunately you cannot see the point where the river ends and the res. begins..

And this one is pretty cool. This location you can see just about the entire res:

In this one I can make out the loads of drift wood. Both of these were taken at end of May in 2006.

The driftwood makes it way around on the lake and ends up on the sides when the level goes down.
Not sure why the park doesn't sell it or something. Too costly???

As for Tueeulala... it's more like Bridalveil. The entry into the would be valley below would have been
a talus field. Dispersed thru shrub. At least I'm pretty sure looking at old photos and stuff I have taken
from across the valley.

July 18, 2011 10:46PM
chick-on

As for Tueeulala... it's more like Bridalveil. The entry into the would be valley below would have been
a talus field. Dispersed thru shrub. At least I'm pretty sure looking at old photos and stuff I have taken
from across the valley.

Looking at the old photos of the Hetch Hetchy Valley, it looks like the bottom of Tueeulala was more like Sentinel Falls. In other words, a long cascade instead of an actual waterfall that dropped to the bottom of the original valley.
July 19, 2011 07:28AM
Look here:
http://www.sierranevadaphotos.com/gallery/hetch_hetchy/hh3.asp

And abuse your imagination on this:

Both Tueeulala and Wapama looks like they would be cascading thru boulders and shrub to valley floor.

http://www.sierraclub.org/ca/hetchhetchy/wapama_falls_gleason.html

July 18, 2011 04:08PM
chick-on

Vanilla is the best anyway.
July 18, 2011 04:29PM
eeek
chick-on

What flavor of vanilla?
(VanillaChikinly Yours)
The Marmots
July 18, 2011 04:37PM
French
July 18, 2011 04:39PM
szalkowski
eeek
chick-on

What flavor of vanilla?
(VanillaChikinly Yours)
The Marmots

Vanilla Bean of course.
July 18, 2011 04:44PM
July 18, 2011 04:50PM
I saw a Marmut squashed in the middle of the road near Ten Lakes TH.
Question: Why did the Marmut crossed the road?
Answer: He didn't!

Wonder how many nibble memory doze bozos gotz....

July 18, 2011 04:50PM
chick-on

He crossed part of it.
July 18, 2011 05:04PM
chick-on
I saw a Marmut squashed in the middle of the road near Ten Lakes TH.

Wonder how many nibble memory doze bozos gotz....

We believe that you remember... of course.
Return here to refresh: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,41154,41938#msg-41938
(WatchingTheChikinLoopy Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 05:06PM by szalkowski.
July 18, 2011 05:31PM
Drat, foiled by the stuffed pink "chicken" again! I was planning on a romp in the Double Rock area in the next week or so... By chance, did you get down to Lake 8752, or at least get a look at it? It looks like it could be interesting, at least on the maps and Google Earth.

Great pictures, as always--it looks like the clouds really added to the atmosphere of the trip!
July 18, 2011 06:10PM
Sweet Victory!
tongue sticking out smiley

Actually, I'd been there before... but didn't go up the two Rocks last time... so I had some unfinished business.
(The bench markers are on the west one)
I did see 8752. I just didn't feel like making the effort to go touch it. The peaks N of it look pretty cool.
There's a lot to explore in that area. There is one lake b/t Colby and Double that is not on the USGS map.
The ridge NNE of 8673 looks really really cool too.
Pretty much I walked the ridge to Double then the north ridge and went to 8257 and then back to trail.
Here's 8752:

(I put a few more in the set... )

Have fun, that area is spectacular with a lot to explore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 06:11PM by chick-on.
July 20, 2011 06:30PM
In a blatant attempt to move the death poo down the list:

A bit of Yosemite few see:

Double Rock w/ Mt. Conness in background:

And me on the east Double Rock:

July 20, 2011 06:43PM
chick-on

Ledged out... as usual
(HELP!!! GOATIE!!!)
July 20, 2011 06:57PM
szalkowski
Ledged out... as usual

Not possible when you carry a self-rescue apparatus:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,41495,41654#msg-41654

July 20, 2011 07:53PM
chick-on

I thought you would have flown to a higher perch...

Too tired to flap you wings that day? wink
July 20, 2011 08:34PM
Whu! I took my g/f to the top of boat of dem.

Billy just need picture to shows how high da rocks are.

July 21, 2011 09:46AM
plawrence
I thought you would have flown to a higher perch...

Point of Information:
A check of the FAA database ( see Section 7-6-4 in http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap7/aim0706.html ) reveals that no sightings of giant FPPs (Flying Pink Pears) have ever been reported in the Sierra Sector.
(UnidentifiedUnflyingObjectively Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 09:52AM by szalkowski.
July 18, 2011 06:17PM
That's an interesting perspective, I've been noticing the way all that wood seems to move around. Several months ago a lot of it was near the dam and along the western end of the north shore.

Does SF ever clear it out or do they just let it migrate around until it forms a giant log raft (as it seems to be doing in that picture)?
July 19, 2011 09:59AM
Great picture. The first thing that popped up in my mind was the same thing you said: "That's a lotta wood".
Reminds me of the wood I saw floating above Vernal Fall in late June. Would not want to be in the water while those things are swirling around!
July 19, 2011 06:54PM
Here's a lotta wood:

Old Dude
July 19, 2011 07:08PM
Is it morning wood?

July 19, 2011 07:12PM
chick-on
Is it morning wood?

Billy!!!

Old Dude
July 19, 2011 08:38PM
Huh?

Here's more wood:

(Thus my "wow" at seeing it all the way on the other side... )

July 19, 2011 09:06PM
chick-on
Huh?

Here's more wood:

(Thus my "wow" at seeing it all the way on the other side... )

My last picture shows the wind blowing the stuff toward the east end of the lake. It moves pretty quickly.

Old Dude
July 20, 2011 07:00AM
mrcondron
My last picture shows the wind blowing the stuff toward the east end of the lake. It moves pretty quickly.
I know Old Guy. I can read.

(p.s. not nec. to quote picture all the time)

December 18, 2011 02:16PM
Some interesting tidbits this weekend:

Look here for the others (I guarantee even the "Hetch Hetchy Experts" out there didn't know about all this schtuff)
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Poopenaut

And much further downstream... visions of Tenaya Canyon abound:

(I'm bringing a full wetsuit next time... instead of only scuba booties)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2011 02:17PM by chick-on.
December 18, 2011 04:01PM
Neat photos, thanks for sharing.

Was that your trail boat in one of the photos, or just an abandoned one that your came across?
December 18, 2011 04:57PM
That's mine. If you look at a good Topo Map you'll see that downstream of Poopenaut...
there is a "lake" that is 1/2 mile long...
i.e.:

December 18, 2011 05:10PM
The goal was this gem:

Got as far down as where that video was taken. Wanted to get further. def. some unfinished business...

December 21, 2011 08:02AM
If you stop at "H3" - Poopenaut Valley Lookout... you'll see the "lake" and all of
Poopenaut. Here's the view from September:

And from December:

And if you go sometime when they are really dumping water:

The round mountain way in back in North Mountain.

December 21, 2011 02:10PM
Is there any sort of use trail, or an old abandoned trail from 'H3' viewpoint down to the bottom of Poopenaut Valley? My topo maps don't show any. Just wondering...

December 21, 2011 02:17PM
chick-on
If you stop at "H3" - Poopenaut Valley Lookout... you'll see the "lake" and all of
Poopenaut. Here's the view from September:

And from December:

And if you go sometime when they are really dumping water:

The round mountain way in back in North Mountain.

BTW, you ought to post these photos on this site's "Yosemite Roadside Markers" forum under a new "H3 — Poopenaut Valley View" topic.

December 21, 2011 04:04PM
There's no trail from H3.... never has been... of course there is a trail down to Poopenaut from the Poopenaut TH though.. wink
(this is by far the steepest trail in the park) (mentioned this to the wife and she says "uh... Ledge and Indian Canyon HAVE to be steeper!"winking smiley

As for the roadside stuff... looks like I had uploaded the last H3 one to my set a long time ago.
i.e.:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?12,40318,41284#msg-41284

There's just not a lot of love for the Roadside Marker gunk... so I've been lax updating anything there... including the set of mine.

Interestingly (to me at least), the park has updated a number of roadside signs along with trailhead signs over the last year or so.
A fine example of this is right after the Hetch Hetchy Kiosk (H1)... a brand spanking new TH sign. Very nice.

December 29, 2011 01:19PM
(I know, old thread, been busy...) I've always thought the Poopenaut - Preston Falls would make an interesting canyoneering trip. I've only seen this one report of this route: http://samedeepwater.blogspot.com/2008/07/dam-hetch-hetchy.html.

Question: do you think it's worthwhile to get to Poopenaut from the dam, via the HHWP service road and some x/c, instead of the trail?
December 29, 2011 03:26PM
basilbop
(I know, old thread, been busy...) I've always thought the Poopenaut - Preston Falls would make an interesting canyoneering trip. I've only seen this one report of this route: http://samedeepwater.blogspot.com/2008/07/dam-hetch-hetchy.html.

Question: do you think it's worthwhile to get to Poopenaut from the dam, via the HHWP service road and some x/c, instead of the trail?

Thanks for the link. Was kinda wondering if anyone ever did it... Pretty crappy picture of Poopenaut they have there though.
The one's I posted above are much better. If you look at my video and their picture of the big rock fin... you can see how far I got...
and why I turned around (at that point... I didn't have my boat with me).
They actually make Preston Falls much more impressive than it is. At least from looking at my pictures... and what I recall.
We've only been there once... so it may be nicer than what I remember... I do remember wanting to hike up to North Mountain..
and giving up after going up maybe 800 vert. ft. It's nice and all... but we're not clamoring to go back there (although the thought
crossed my mind to go there this weekend to attach the gorge from the other way).
Not sure why they call it 'sneak of the century'. AFAIK you can boat there.... you can definitely swim... the water here is not going to
San Francisco.
You have to search pretty hard to find a steeper maintained trail in the park than Poopenaut. IMO it's easily the steepest...
so... yes, it's worthwhile to take the road from the dam itself and xcountry... perhaps for that reason... but also b/c there are
some interesting things along the way... as I showed in the picture set. Least of which is to go check out the dam from below!
If the water is really flowing... there's the bridge below that should have a nice view and gets you to the other side...
Something I'll be checking out perhaps next May...

Due to regulations there will be some minimal flow from HH dam into the Tuolumne... If only the spray pipe is on then it's fairly safe
to go thru... if it's cresting or they have other outlets on... Good Luck. You can call HHW&P to find out what the deal is...
(209)989-2000. It's the number to call about fluctuating stream flow below the dam. I think it would be a lot of fun to go thru
with a full wetsuit.. sometime in summer after the flow is back down.

Anyway, post if you go... I have a couple other viewpoints I want to check out in that area along that Gorge too...
o.. Word to the wise... this area is prime area for poison oak... but if you stay in the river you'll avoid it.
I x'd up to the pond S of Swamp Lake once (there used to be a trail) and got some on my schnoze..

December 29, 2011 10:19PM
I can tell you, it's definitely been done. Not by me, of course. I have a buddy who dayhiked it. Except their group went up from Preston and worked up to Poopenaut. The caveat being they didn't have a boat, so they had to swim part of it. According to him, it went from a fun dayhike to a nightmare halfway through. I could see it being a lot of fun taking a kayak down from Ppopenaut.
December 30, 2011 09:07AM
oakroscoe
I can tell you, it's definitely been done. Not by me, of course. I have a buddy who dayhiked it. Except their group went up from Preston and worked up to Poopenaut. The caveat being they didn't have a boat, so they had to swim part of it. According to him, it went from a fun dayhike to a nightmare halfway through. I could see it being a lot of fun taking a kayak down from Ppopenaut.
I'm not surprised. If they made it all the way to Poopenaut and back... I'm impressed.
The last "lake" before Poop is about 1/2 mile long before hitting the valley proper.
I'd like to get 3 miles upstream from Preston ... where the trail ends... from there you'd
be staring up at a good 1200 ft. sheer wall.
I'll post something whenever I do it... what am I doing home anyway?!?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login