Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne High Sierra Camp

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne High Sierra Camp
July 18, 2011 09:06PM
The Tuolumne HSC (or lodge as some want to call it) is now open.
July 18, 2011 10:10PM
Anyone know when the High Sierra Camp will open this year?
avatar Re: Tuolumne High Sierra Camp
July 18, 2011 11:20PM
Which one?
( or is this a joke I'm not getting? ) ( after all he JUST said that the Tuolumne HSC is open now )

More info . . .

HSC Availability as of July 15, 2011

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 11:22PM by qumqats.
July 19, 2011 10:16AM
Yay...I'l be at the BPer's campground on Thursday night! Can't wait!
July 19, 2011 10:36AM
eeek
The Tuolumne HSC (or lodge as some want to call it) is now open.

Mimicing the terminology of Bed and Breakfast enterprises, perhaps the High Sierra Camps should be designated P&Ts. .
(Pallets&TentsAreNoMatchForOurCozyBurrowsly Yours)
The Marmots
July 19, 2011 07:27PM
September 09, 2011 04:39PM
September 10, 2011 12:23AM
eeek

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cr-dsc_2099.jpg.html

That sign refers to the Ranger Station, not the Lodge. wink

September 10, 2011 08:50AM
How about this one?

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 10, 2011 08:52AM
And my favorite:

(while I love this sign... personally think it's pretty bad to have it up still since some of the trails are no longer in existence)

September 10, 2011 11:10AM
I have just three words for your two photos: out of date. wink
September 10, 2011 11:30AM
plawrence

Maybe you should complain to the NPS - we're certain that they would be more than willing to remove those signs in order to comply with the obtusely fabricated whims of DNC's marketing department.
(LodgesAreForBeaversOnly Yours)
The Marmots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_lodge#Lodges

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 11:33AM by szalkowski.
avatar Beavers are Fish, Ergo HSCs can be Lodges
September 10, 2011 01:36PM
szalkowski
plawrence

Maybe you should complain to the NPS - we're certain that they would be more than willing to remove those signs in order to comply with the obtusely fabricated whims of DNC's marketing department.
The Marmots

For a good chuckle, see the section titled "In dietary law" in the above link.
(Amusedly Yours)
The Marmots

P.S. ... and these people can't figure out why they aren't taken seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 01:40PM by szalkowski.
avatar Re: Beavers are Fish, Ergo HSCs can be Lodges
September 10, 2011 01:44PM
szalkowski
szalkowski
plawrence

The Marmots

For a good chuckle, see the section titled "In dietary law" in the above link.
(Amusedly Yours)
The Marmots

P.S. ... and these people can't figure out why they aren't taken seriously.

I went to St. Bruno Elementary School and we always had beaver in the cafeteria on Fridays.

Old Dude
avatar Re: Beavers are Fish, Ergo HSCs can be Lodges
September 11, 2011 07:25PM
What about White Wolf?

And here is the proof:

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 07:34PM by Frank Furter.
September 10, 2011 11:32AM
Tell that to the park service. Those signs are still up. (which was part of my point)

September 10, 2011 12:56PM
chick-on

Tell that to the park service. Those signs are still up. (which was part of my point)

But that's why the signs ARE out of date. If the signs were no longer there, then they wouldn't be out of date (only your photos would be). wink

September 10, 2011 01:32PM
I gotz three words for you and the old fart:

(now just get your butt up Eagle Peak Creek and come back with a report and pictures)
tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 01:39PM by chick-on.
September 10, 2011 11:18AM
Read this link chicken-boy and see that there are only 5 (five) camps:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accomodations_HighSierraCamps.aspx

Look especially at the overview map.

Old Dude
September 10, 2011 12:29PM
mrcondron

That site is nothing but DNC marketing.
September 10, 2011 01:02PM
eeek
mrcondron

Ahem!! It's the Official United States Government National Park Service Official Web Site!!!!

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 01:02PM by mrcondron.
September 10, 2011 01:10PM
mrcondron
Ahem!! It's the Official United States Government National Park Service Official Web Site!!!!

No, it's not.
September 10, 2011 01:17PM
eeek
mrcondron

No, it's not.

Sputter, sputter!! Well it should be!!

Old Dude
September 10, 2011 01:18PM
mrcondron
eeek
mrcondron

No, it's not.

Sputter, sputter!! Well it should be!!

Not until DNC is borg'd by NPS.
September 10, 2011 01:16PM
eeek
mrcondron

Ahem...

This site isn't: http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/vogelsang.htm

And what does it state in the first paragraph of that webpage?

"Vogelsang is one of Yosemite’s five high sierra camps and is located approximately 7.5 miles south of the Tioga Road in the Tuolumne Meadows area."
(emphasis added)

September 11, 2011 11:51AM
You guys crack me up. When it was built, it was a high Sierra camp. At some point someone changed the name. Should we still call Cape Canaveral, Cape Kennedy?
September 11, 2011 11:59AM
hotrod4x5
Should we still call Cape Canaveral, Cape Kennedy?

No, KSC and Cape Canaveral are separate entities.
September 11, 2011 12:08PM
eeek
hotrod4x5
Should we still call Cape Canaveral, Cape Kennedy?

No, KSC and Cape Canaveral are separate entities.
Not talking about the Kennedy Space Center. They renamed the whole cape to Cape Kennedy from 1963 to 1973.
September 11, 2011 10:41PM
hotrod4x5

You guys crack me up. When it was built, it was a high Sierra camp. At some point someone changed the name. Should we still call Cape Canaveral, Cape Kennedy?

I find it fascinating how many people get attached to the orignal name of a place, and if the name of the place changes, they refuse to acknowledge the new name and continue to refer to the place by its old, outdated name.

The most ridiculous example of this phenomena in my opinion was when the name of the stadium that's the home of the San Francisco Giants was changed (due to corporate mergers) from its original name, Pacific Bell Park, to SBC Park and finally to AT&T Park. There are still Giants fans that refer to it as Pac Bell Park. What I find so ridiculous about this example is that the ballpark, which opened in year 2000, was named Pacific Bell Park only for a few short years. And second, there was nothing special about the name Pacific Bell Park, since it was just a corporate name, named after the local Ma Bell phone company. Yet some Giants fans cling to that name. Go figure.

September 12, 2011 08:00AM
It's all in fun w/r to the HSC.

I have been told that they are going to change the name from
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
to
Tuolumne Meadows Resort & Spa

at the end of the day... it's a HSC

Have a Resortful Day (and enjoy your mud bath)
tongue sticking out smiley

September 12, 2011 08:41AM
chick-on
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
to

This name change is scheduled to occur when they institute the valet parking capability.
(DrivenOverTheEdgely Yours)
The Marmots
September 12, 2011 01:06PM
szalkowski
chick-on
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
to

This name change is scheduled to occur when they institute the valet parking capability.
(DrivenOverTheEdgely Yours)
The Marmots

Won't they be building the Table Lake Resort & Spa first?
September 12, 2011 11:57AM
plawrence
hotrod4x5

I find it fascinating how many people get attached to the orignal name of a place, and if the name of the place changes, they refuse to acknowledge the new name and continue to refer to the place by its old, outdated name.

The most ridiculous example of this phenomena in my opinion was when the name of the stadium that's the home of the San Francisco Giants was changed (due to corporate mergers) from its original name, Pacific Bell Park, to SBC Park and finally to AT&T Park. There are still Giants fans that refer to it as Pac Bell Park. What I find so ridiculous about this example is that the ballpark, which opened in year 2000, was named Pacific Bell Park only for a few short years. And second, there was nothing special about the name Pacific Bell Park, since it was just a corporate name, named after the local Ma Bell phone company. Yet some Giants fans cling to that name. Go figure.

Your example is a little different but I generally refuse to use the corporate names of ballparks when there has been a long established name. And the tallest building in North America is STILL the Sears Tower! Don't take that as an opposition to selling naming rights. I think you would be crazy not to take the money if someone is offering it. I think Soldier Field and Wrigley Field should sell their naming rights and then Chicagoans would still call them Soldier and Wrigley Fields. If someone wants to pay me to offiicially name my house I'll be happy to take their money.
September 12, 2011 02:34PM
You guys are forgetting White Wolf, it was originally a High Sierra Camp too, but also it is called a Lodge now too. I don't think it is part of this discussion as none of the trail signs refer to it as a HSC or at least any of the signs that I recall. I assume the renaming was done to avoid confusion between a drive-in facility and a hike-in facility, but I wonder the exact date.

Interestingly, I think we can roughly date the trail signs this way. WW HSC opened in 1951 and TM HSC in 1923, according to this history (http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodations_HighSierraCamps_History.aspx) So if the signs don't refer to WW as a HSC they must have been installed before then, so we can assume some the of the signs are therefore over 60 years old. That explains some of the errors we see in the trail signs I think
September 12, 2011 04:31PM
chicagocwright
plawrence
hotrod4x5

Your example is a little different but I generally refuse to use the corporate names of ballparks when there has been a long established name. And the tallest building in North America is STILL the Sears Tower! Don't take that as an opposition to selling naming rights.

But why not call the former Sears Tower by its current name: the Willis Tower, since Sears is no longer an occupant of the tower. I just don't understand this perchant for clinging to outdated names of places.

chicagocwright
I think you would be crazy not to take the money if someone is offering it. I think Soldier Field and Wrigley Field should sell their naming rights and then Chicagoans would still call them Soldier and Wrigley Fields.

Soldier Field is a bit different since it is a well establish and historic stadium. I can understand people refusing to call it by some impermanent corporate naming-rights name. But in regards to Wrigley, why not then just call it by its original name, Weeghman Park? wink
September 12, 2011 07:05PM
plawrence
chicagocwright
plawrence
hotrod4x5

Your example is a little different but I generally refuse to use the corporate names of ballparks when there has been a long established name. And the tallest building in North America is STILL the Sears Tower! Don't take that as an opposition to selling naming rights.

But why not call the former Sears Tower by its current name: the Willis Tower, since Sears is no longer an occupant of the tower. I just don't understand this perchant for clinging to outdated names of places.

If neither name has any real meaning, then why not keep calling it by the name one remembers? There's something to be said for reasonable levels of inertia (note the qualifier...). I'm not really a baseball fan, but I still call...it..."Pac Bell Park". And I have no real attachment to the former Pacific Bell. Why should I keep track of Pac Bell/SBC/ATT/etc.'s name changes and mergers, that's their problem. I'll keep track of it to the extent i have to when I'm working, otherwise its their problem, not mine.

Though I'm still having trouble understanding the issue over whether Tuolumne Meadows has a High Sierra Camp or a Lodge. If I wanted to stay in prepared lodging to which I hiked, I wouldn't go to Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Lodge, I'd go to Vogelsang, Merced Lake, etc. If I wanted to stay in prepared lodging to which I drove, I certainly wouldn't reserve a night at Merced Lake.
September 12, 2011 09:42PM
Everyone doesn't realize that this is all pretty much a dig on The Old Dude.

This thread:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,13130

Used to have a option to vote.

Also, Merced Lake HSC used to also be called Merced Lake Lodge.

Hopefully someday soon all the HSC in the backcountry go bye bye.
I am happy to see that many of the comments on Vogelsang refurbishments
(which I guess I should thank the Marmuts for screwing up? ??) say pretty
much what I've been saying for a while now...

- HSCs take AWAY from wilderness experience
- HSCs put major stress on trails and infrastructure due to poop trains
- HSCs are not good for da Environment

If you stay active you should be able to hike to many a glorious spot in Yosemite.
Just ask THE Old Dude

Have a nice day,

September 12, 2011 08:40PM
I call it PacBell Park also and I've never been there. It's the accepted name. The tenant or current Sponsor has nothing to do with it. Sears has had nothing to do with the Sears Tower for a looong time. But everyone in Chicago knows the building as the Sears Tower and will continue to call it that no matter what corporate entity buys it. I imagine Willis will not hold the naming right forever and I have no desire to keep up with its name.
September 12, 2011 09:32PM
chicagocwright
But everyone in Chicago knows the building as the Sears Tower and will continue to call it that no matter what corporate entity buys it.

If I talk about the Sears Tower, people usually know what I'm referring to. Willis Tower will just get blank stares.
September 13, 2011 06:40AM
How many people still call Curry Village, Camp Curry? Yes, the old sign is still there, but no where in the literature does it call itself Camp Curry anymore. If you are one of the name purists, I suggest you start calling it Camp Curry, just to be consistent. grinning smiley
September 13, 2011 08:08AM
The correct name for Curry Village is:

Camp Hostesss Twinkie Curry Village Spa and Resort presented by El Pollo Loco

Half Dome a Nice Day,
Chick-on avec les pieds

September 13, 2011 05:12PM
hotrod4x5
How many people still call Curry Village, Camp Curry? Yes, the old sign is still there, but no where in the literature does it call itself Camp Curry anymore. If you are one of the name purists, I suggest you start calling it Camp Curry, just to be consistent. grinning smiley

I call it Camp Curry, but I've been going there forever, since I was a little kid.

Just went to White Wolf for the first time ever one week ago, and from now on I'm calling it "Overhyped, boring campground with a crappy store and nowhere to park".
September 13, 2011 08:21PM
Once named, always named.

I doubt that I'll ever call them anything other than Sears Point Raceway, and Candlestick Park.
Same for a Sacramento's Arco Arena ( which is now . . . blah! . . . Power Balance Pavilion sad smiley )
Sears Tower will be that forever, what's a Willis?
Where's the nearest Kragun's auto parts store? ( whats O'Reilly? )

Some people don't change well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 08:21PM by qumqats.
September 13, 2011 08:42PM
qumqats
Once named, always named.

I doubt that I'll ever call them anything other than Sears Point Raceway, and Candlestick Park.
Same for a Sacramento's Arco Arena ( which is now . . . blah! . . . Power Balance Pavilion sad smiley )
Sears Tower will be that forever, what's a Willis?
Where's the nearest Kragun's auto parts store? ( whats O'Reilly? )

Some people don't change well

To me it depends upon why you're asking me to change. Some change can be good and interesting, but if you're asking me to change because you decided to have a corporate merger/buyout/flameout/etc....that sounds like it should be your problem rather than mine.
September 13, 2011 05:50PM
Camp Curry and Curry Village aren't different enough to matter. But if Yosemite sold the vending rights to Hyatt, Marriot, etc. we would all still call it Camp Curry or Curry Village no matter what Marriot decided to rename it...And to reiterate, if Marriot wants to pay thousands or millions of dollars to put up a sign that says Marriot Village I'm all for that. But that doesn't mean I have to use that name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login