Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wawona- 7 people in 6 person camp site??confused smiley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wawona- 7 people in 6 person camp site??confused smiley
July 21, 2011 09:10PM
Hi!

So I was planning on going camping with 5 friends in August, but we had a misunderstanding with another friend, so now it turns out that there are 7 people who want to go camping. We're staying at Wawona- the amount of tents and cars (2) will be the same either way, but I was wondering what the repercussions would be for breaking this rule. We're a quiet, respectful, outdoorsy group of people, so it's not like we'd draw attention to ourselves in any way.

I've left 2 messages with a ranger and the campground office, so I can see what they say tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knew how the rangers/ park treated those situations. If it's absolutely not allowed, it's ok- I won't go...but I've never been and was really excited about this trip. I just don't want to get in trouble. Please advise!
avatar Re: Wawona- 7 people in 6 person camp site??confused smiley
July 21, 2011 09:27PM
You should be fine. It's those that attract attention to themselves by noise or rowdy behavior that might have someone counting heads. If you tried to jam 20 people quiet or not you would attract attention. One extra, no.

Old Dude
July 21, 2011 09:28PM
They will sacrifice the one extra individual by setting him on fire and throwing him off Glacier point. Be sure to not be the last person in bed if you want to avoid this painful and excruciating end.

Either that or just go with 7 and nothing happens.
July 21, 2011 09:30PM
telfair ave
They will sacrifice the one extra individual by setting him on fire and throwing him off Glacier point. Be sure to not be the last person in bed if you want to avoid this painful and excruciating end.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part.

Old Dude
July 21, 2011 10:53PM
Hahaha....thank you for the feedback! I feel much better now... smiling smiley
July 22, 2011 11:54PM
telfair ave
They will sacrifice the one extra individual by setting him on fire and throwing him off Glacier point.

No, not Glacier Point, its how they do the Fire Fall over on Yosemite Falls. (sorry, bad timing for 'over the falls' jokes, my bad)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 11:56PM by YosemiteHiker44.
July 24, 2011 09:14PM
Are you sure you're not thinking of Horsetail Fall?
July 26, 2011 06:34AM
SierraGold
Are you sure you're not thinking of Horsetail Fall?

There was an actual "Fire Falls" off of Glacier Point.

http://firefall.info/
July 22, 2011 12:05AM
I haven't been to Wawona, nor have I researched it, but this thought might apply here, or elsewhere:
Don't the NPS employees at the check-in kiosk check how many people are in the vehicle(s) when you arrive?
July 22, 2011 07:12AM
I've never had anyone check the number of people in my vehicle as I entered the campground. In fact the last three times I've entered a campground in the valley, I found the check-in kiosk unmanned for more than an hour at a time. We got checked-in the following morning by a ranger when only half our group was still at the campsite.
July 22, 2011 11:54PM
herosemblem
Don't the NPS employees at the check-in kiosk check how many people are in the vehicle(s) when you arrive?
That's what roof-top carriers are for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 11:55PM by YosemiteHiker44.
July 22, 2011 08:50AM
I just spent a week in Upper Pines and from the first day I noticed many sites that were way over the 6 person mark (we are a family of 5) - I don't think this is being enforced at all -

As a side note, I was amazed how congested the sites were at Upper Pines (My first time) - Whenever I have camped at other places before there always seemed to be a little bit of privacy with tents at least 10-20 yards away - I had tents 3 feet away from 2 sides of my tent!! - It was like camping in New York City - The inner loop had tents within 2 to 3 feet of eachother all the way in the loop

We all got along fine but there was no privacy that's for sure
July 22, 2011 09:21AM
SoCalCPA
I just spent a week in Upper Pines and from the first day I noticed many sites that were way over the 6 person mark (we are a family of 5) - I don't think this is being enforced at all -

As a side note, I was amazed how congested the sites were at Upper Pines (My first time) - Whenever I have camped at other places before there always seemed to be a little bit of privacy with tents at least 10-20 yards away - I had tents 3 feet away from 2 sides of my tent!! - It was like camping in New York City - The inner loop had tents within 2 to 3 feet of eachother all the way in the loop

Upper Pines is really tightly spaced and the boundaries are poorly defined. Other NPS campgrounds I've stayed at have had well defined campsites separated by bushes, trees, or logs.
July 22, 2011 09:38AM
The campgrounds in Yosemite Valley, especially the old River campgrounds (which have been closed since the 1997 flood), at times reminds me of the tent cities that would pop up after a major earthquake, like the tent cities that sprung up in city parks around Northridge in Southern California after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake.
July 26, 2011 09:00PM
SoCalCPA

Classic Upper Pines........The sites at the end of the loops on the outside of the loops aren't too bad but those interior sites in the middle are so congested. But is it better than not being there at all?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login