Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Matthes Lake Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2011 09:44PM
Here's some pictures from this past weekend. In general, the snow has melted fast and, as others have posted, its finally spring in the Sierra. I actually went swimming in Matthes Lake, though I only stayed about 10 minutes or so.

Matthes Lake:

I've posted about the conditions on other threads...I hiked the Nelson Lake route into Echo Creek, then over the crest to Matthes Lake. I've been over Nelson Pass a few times, but never over the crest to Matthes, and I generally like to stay high when I'm traversing cross-country. Which was bad here, as I spent an hour getting blocked by cliffs and backtracking to the correct route.

From that route I had a good view of the Clark Range:

There was only a couple small patches of snow to Elizabeth, then a fair bit of snow climbing from the meadow. Once the trees began to thin out the snow did as well, leaving only the normal early season patch near the summit. Yet there were still signs of the big snow year, as this cornice shows:

From Matthes I hiked out by Cathedral Pass, and except for some snow north of the pass and patches along the trail the route was clear.

Echo Lake:

A few more pics here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 09:48PM by ttilley.
July 25, 2011 10:31PM
Nice! smileys with beer
July 29, 2011 11:18AM
Looks like you didn't need an Ice Axe wink

Looks like you went S of Matthes ... little saddle ... to get to Echo Lake...
next time go north and then over Wilts Col.

The view from N of Matthes is spec-tac-u-lar.

Thanks for sharing!

<insert complaint about no one looking at your pix... what a shame imo>

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 29, 2011 06:06PM
I looked at your Matthes picture set on Picasa from last year and see what you mean about the view from north of Matthes, I'll have to keep that in mind next time.

I was surprised how warm the nights were, no wonder the snow's disappearing so fast. Lots of dew as well, despite not having any clouds. When I got back I looked at the remote sensing station at White Wolf, dew points were definitely climbing w/ daily snow melt and falling overnight (now I guess they're high due to incoming monsoon moisture).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login