Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hike to Peak 10450

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 31, 2011 08:57AM
We took our hike to Peak 10450 above Cathedral Lakes on Saturday. We took the climbers trail to Lower Cathedral Lake. The trail looked to be completely unaffected by the winter and there was only a few small patches of snow left. Of course there was more water flowing into the lake than I had seen before but crossing it was not an issue. The meadow to the east of the lake was another story. Meadow didn't describe its current state. Swamp is more applicable. I had anticipated this might be the case so we headed to the south end and we were able to bypass the swamp. We hiked through the forest until we reached the low end of the ridge separating the lower and upper lakes. From there we hiked up the ridge. The image below is taken from that ridge. At one point we saw a group of hikers on the rock slab at the edge of the swamp in the lower part of the image walking back and forth. I could just imagine they were saying "Now what?" I think they gave up and turned around. We took an early lunch just before the last ascent. We didn't know just how to get up there but with some minor rock scrambling, which isn't really my thing, we made it. There's a large flat area on the top. Although we looked all over, we were not able to find the benchmark that I had heard was up there. Although there are tremendous views from up there, there are too many small trees for a 360 degree panorama. There are especially nice views of Tenaya and Tessidder peaks. It was noon and the clouds were gathering so we headed back. We got back to Lower Cathedral Lake before the first thunder started and back to the car by 2 pm with only a few raindrops.

The only issue on the hike was the horrible mosquitos. They were everywhere, even on top of Peak 10450. I expected them in the forest and at the swamp but I never imagined they'd be up on the open granite. I only took a few handheld panoramic images because setting up a tripod was too miserable in a swarm of mosquitos.

Panoramic Images - http://panoramas.aa6g.org/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 09:45AM by Calaveras.
July 31, 2011 09:34AM
Might be mistaken but I'm not aware of any 10,450' peak in that location. Were you on the saddle between Echo peaks and Cathedral Peak? That certainly appears to be the direction from which the shot was taken.

Echo Peaks is 10,960' and Cathedral Peak is 10,911'. The lowest point on the saddle between them is about 10,400'. Just curious.
July 31, 2011 09:47AM
There's a Peak 10450 here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.83723,-119.42744&z=16&t=T

I was thrown off, too, I was thinking of the meadowswamp at the upper lake, the shape of this lake looks like the lower.

Nice pictures at the link.
July 31, 2011 10:09AM
No, we were not there but we want to go there since it looks like a spectacular location for a 360 degree panorama and it doesn't look too hard to get to.

We were on the lower ridge in between lower and upper Cathedral Lakes.

Here's the full panorama image. The red arrow points to Peak 10450. The image above was a crop to emphasize the swamp. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 09:47AM by Calaveras.
July 31, 2011 10:13AM
Calaveras

The only issue on the hike was the horrible mosquitos. They were everywhere, even on top of Peak 10450. I expected them in the forest and at the swamp but I never imagined they'd be up on the open granite.

Eh, I could have told you that earlier. Didn't take too many hikes up in the Yosemite high country for me to realize that the mosquitos could be literally everywhere in July. The only hope for them not being present is a good and steady breeze or wind.

Loved you shot of the lake. Very nice.
July 31, 2011 01:26PM
You got that right. Get your booty way away from marshy areas.... and hope for the best.
(wifey and I got slammed going N of Matthes Crest one year)
(so I mention that route to her a week ago now... and she says "no way" )

Hiking over the saddle from Upper is simple. It'll be much easier than 10450. I took a number from up there...
when OD and I did a Nelson loopy a number of years back...

Never stitched them together though.... here's one anyway:

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 01:28PM by chick-on.
July 31, 2011 04:58PM
I now understand that Peak 10,450 is the northwestern leg of the Tresidder range. I thought Calaveras was saying the photo was taken from Peak 10,450, which did not make sense because the angles were all wrong.
July 31, 2011 05:01PM
tomdisco
I now understand that Peak 10,450 is the northwestern leg of the Tresidder range. I thought Calaveras was saying the photo was taken from Peak 10,450, which did not make sense because the angles were all wrong.
Sure. I figured you figured it out.

I was just showing the angle of the dangle from above on the saddle that you mentioned.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 31, 2011 08:23PM
Two panoramas from 10450 are now at the bottom of the page at the link below. That was all I could stand to do with the mosquitos.

Panoramic Images - http://panoramas.aa6g.org/
Re: Hike to Peak 10450
August 01, 2011 12:09AM
plawrence
Calaveras

The only issue on the hike was the horrible mosquitos. They were everywhere, even on top of Peak 10450. I expected them in the forest and at the swamp but I never imagined they'd be up on the open granite.

Eh, I could have told you that earlier. Didn't take too many hikes up in the Yosemite high country for me to realize that the mosquitos could be literally everywhere in July. The only hope for them not being present is a good and steady breeze or wind.

No matter how hot: long sleeves + long pants; decent hat; shades; deet/repellent.
August 01, 2011 12:31AM
Ohnivy-Drak
No matter how hot: long sleeves + long pants

Not a chance.
August 01, 2011 07:59AM
Ohnivy-Drak

No matter how hot: long sleeves + long pants; decent hat; shades; deet/repellent.

That was us exactly and I don't think we got bit but when they're flying in you eyes, nose, mouth, and ears it's still no fun. winking smiley I guess we needed a head net too. I think I'll just wait another 2-3 weeks for the snow to finish melting and the mosquito season to end before going back.
August 01, 2011 11:36AM
Calaveras
Ohnivy-Drak

That was us exactly and I don't think we got bit but when they're flying in you eyes, nose, mouth, and ears it's still no fun. winking smiley I guess we needed a head net too. I think I'll just wait another 2-3 weeks for the snow to finish melting and the mosquito season to end before going back.

One year, I was on top of Pothole Dome taking photographs. And a huge cloud of mosquitos followed me wherever I went. Fortunately, I had DEET on and was wearing InsectShield® treated clothing, so I didn't receive even one bite. But the mass of mosquitos were hoving only a foot away from my body. It felt weird, like an invincible force field surrounded my body. Still annoying, but I'm really glad the DEET and insect-repellant clothing worked as advertised.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login