Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mosquitoes at Toulumne Meadows campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mosquitoes at Toulumne Meadows campground
July 31, 2011 07:08PM
Can anyone tell me about the mosquito situation at the campground. Will be arriving there this Wed. I'm thinking the skeeter season may be later this year - hoping not so!

Thanks
July 31, 2011 07:10PM
They were in full force when we were there July 18-22.
July 31, 2011 07:13PM
Yes, we've experienced them in July a couple of times, but August is usually better. Thanks
avatar Re: Mosquitoes at Tuolumne Meadows campground
August 01, 2011 12:21AM
YAY
Yes, we've experienced them in July a couple of times, but August is usually better. Thanks

Don't count on this year being anything like other years.
Re: Mosquitoes at Tuolumne Meadows campground
August 01, 2011 07:20AM
I get what you're saying, eeek! Thanks everybody. We'll just go more prepared than usual for the pests! Still a great place to be!
August 01, 2011 11:21AM
The TM store sells the same head nets I got at REI and at the same price, no less. They work well.
August 02, 2011 10:15AM
eeek
YAY

Don't count on this year being anything like other years.

Hey Eeek,

My son gets bit massive, we gotta a TH perm for Tues 8/16 at Murphy Creek...what do you think it'll be like skeeter wise (late snow = longer skeeter season?)
avatar Re: Mosquitoes at Tuolumne Meadows campground
August 02, 2011 11:52AM
rroland
My son gets bit massive, we gotta a TH perm for Tues 8/16 at Murphy Creek...what do you think it'll be like skeeter wise (late snow = longer skeeter season?)

It's really hard to predict and water isn't the only fact. Just be ready to lose blood and be happy when you don't.
August 01, 2011 12:54AM
We were there last year at this time and it depended on where you were in camp. Fortunately we were toward the center of the camp (C38). We had almost no problems with skeeters. When we took walks around (especially towards the edge of camp and by the water) there were huge swarms. You give up privacy, but you also put alot of other folks between you and the skeeters! Also alot of them out on the trails by water. We brought all sorts of sprays, which generally worked, but I really loved the headnets, cheap, easy to carry, really effective and no chemicals in your face. Good Luck!
avatar Re: Mosquitoes at Toulumne Meadows campground
August 01, 2011 09:26PM
I wasn't in Tuolomne, but I was in the Valley last week. The mosquitoes are out in full force! Nasty and they are out all day long (and night too) in the campgrounds and meadows. I was given a great suggestion by the regulars on this board and I am very happy with the results. Mosqitoes LOVE me! I am constantly attacked as is my sister. I ended up with only two bites the entire week which is amazing for me (and both times I hadn't lubed up yet).

The 3M Ultrathon is my new best friend! It worked like a charm. I think my only complaint was that it was a little greasy, but it sure worked and for the 12 hours it boasted! I saw it at REI for $10.50 for a very small bottle, but found it on Amazon for $6 with free shipping (w/$25 minimum purchase that is). I can't thank the regulars on this board enough!

Thank you all so much!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 12:03AM by robinjayp.
August 01, 2011 09:28PM
robinjayp
The 3M Ultrathon is my new best friend! It worked like a charm.

I used it on my Bearpaw hike last week. The biting flies didn't seem to care.
August 01, 2011 11:59PM
eeek
robinjayp

The 3M Ultrathon is my new best friend! It worked like a charm.

I used it on my Bearpaw hike last week. The biting flies didn't seem to care.

Sorry to hear that Ultrathon wasn't effective against the biting flies that you experienced last week at Bearpaw.

Have you used other insect repellants that were effective against the same type of biting flies? If so, which one(s)?
August 02, 2011 12:28PM
plawrence
Have you used other insect repellants that were effective against the same type of biting flies? If so, which one(s)?

I haven't found anything that works for flies.
August 02, 2011 01:00PM
eeek
plawrence

I haven't found anything that works for flies.

Try a Tesla Coil.
August 02, 2011 03:38PM
i was there the night of 31 July and Skeeters were out full force. Guess I does not help that everything is wet and puddles everywhere from the Monsoonal rains. I was going to crash in my open truck bed but ended up sleeping inside the truck do to the moisture and skeeters.
August 04, 2011 07:25AM
Is the B loop in the campground far enough away from the river to avoid some mosquitoes?
I will be there on Monday morning.
August 04, 2011 07:31AM
Normally, sure. This year...on 7/22 the F loop wasn't far enough away.
August 04, 2011 10:10PM
Last time I was there, I asked to be as isolated and as far away from people as possible. I ended up at the mosquito bar and regretted it immediately (last loop toward the visitor's center). Blood, mainly mine, was on tap. The campground had just opened and we were able to relocate to loop A right by the water which had minimal mosquitoes. I will take crowds of people crammed into smaller sites than the mosquito bloodbath I walked into any day. With the dense vegetation the campground has, I personally think it was better being closer to the water and less shrubery in loop A.
August 05, 2011 07:03AM
robinjayp
relocate to loop A right by the water which had minimal mosquitoes
I am sure hoping that loop A has minimal mosquitoes compared to other areas of the campground.
When my boys and I were there 2 years ago, we had the most perfect site in my life. We are hoping for the same site, if it is available.
August 05, 2011 10:49AM
snorkus

I am sure hoping that loop A has minimal mosquitoes compared to other areas of the campground.
When my boys and I were there 2 years ago, we had the most perfect site in my life. We are hoping for the same site, if it is available.

In bad mosquitos years, no campsite at TM is immune from mosquitos. And this is a bad (and unseasonably late) mosquito year. Be sure to bring along a mosquito repellant that works.

Also if you have time, either purchase insect repellant clothing, or pre-treat at least some of your clothing with insect repellant specifically designed for clothing (which usually contains Permethrin and not DEET) before you leave for Yosemite. That will make your camping trip in TM a lot more pleasant this year.
August 05, 2011 10:38AM
We were in loop G and the mosquitoes weren't excessive, but they were there, had to use Picaridin (GF refuses to use Deet) while hanging around the site.

If you aren't aware of this, they are attracted to the CO2 we exhale. So the more you exhale, the more they find you.
August 05, 2011 01:05PM
hotrod4x5
If you aren't aware of this, they are attracted to the CO2 we exhale. So the more you exhale, the more they find you.

So it's inhale only?
August 05, 2011 03:46PM
eeek
hotrod4x5

So it's inhale only?
Smiling dogpile
August 05, 2011 03:53PM
hotrod4x5
We were in loop G and the mosquitoes weren't excessive, but they were there, had to use Picaridin (GF refuses to use Deet) while hanging around the site.

I have always wondered about that theory. If it is just the CO2, why don't mosquitoes collect around exhaust pipes, dry ice, or open soda bottles? We exhale about 20 ml of CO2 with each breath, not really that much. Why isn't there a mosquito trap that takes advantage of that CO2 seeking behavior?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 05, 2011 06:33PM
Well, first of all, car emit CO, or Carbon MONoxide, not Carbon Dioxide. And I don't know about you, but I don't use much dry ice camping, and if I did, it would be locked away in an ice chest.
August 05, 2011 06:48PM
hotrod4x5
Well, first of all, car emit CO, or Carbon MONoxide, not Carbon Dioxide. And I don't know about you, but I don't use much dry ice camping, and if I did, it would be locked away in an ice chest.

How do you pass smog check w/ a car emitting all CO and no CO2?

My latest smog check...0.00% CO, 14.9% (14.8 idle) CO2.
August 05, 2011 07:14PM
ttilley
hotrod4x5

How do you pass smog check w/ a car emitting all CO and no CO2?

My latest smog check...0.00% CO, 14.9% (14.8 idle) CO2.
Oh ok, fine, you got me.
August 05, 2011 10:53PM
Look up how much many pounds of CO2 is emitted for every gallon of gas burned. It is stunning.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 13, 2011 10:50AM
Frank Furter
Why isn't there a mosquito trap that takes advantage of that CO2 seeking behavior?

There is one: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202325463&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202325463&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202325463&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=1006 (my son has the 120V version which was a lot less expensive)

My son in Houston (Pearland actually) bought one a few years ago and reduced the mosquito count in his backyard from thousands to only a very few. That process took about three days. It uses about one 25 pound tank of propane a month as it runs 24/7 during the mosquito season. It will clear approximately 1/4 acre. The military has a larger version that will clear several acres.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 10:53AM by mrcondron.
August 13, 2011 11:22AM
Mosquito Magnet Executive Trap???

Ignoring the fact that they have no idea how a magnet works, are they really trying to say that executives are bloodsuckers?
August 13, 2011 12:31PM
szalkowski

Ignoring the fact that they have no idea how a magnet works, are they really trying to say that executives are bloodsuckers?

Well anyway shipping is free.

Old Dude
August 13, 2011 12:41PM
szalkowski

They're going after patriots too!

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-39971-mosquito-magnet-patriot.aspx

This (the Patriot) is the model with the power cord that I suspect that OD's son might have purchased for his yard.
August 13, 2011 12:44PM
szalkowski
are they really trying to say that executives are bloodsuckers?

Are you trying to say they aren't?
August 13, 2011 01:19PM
eeek
szalkowski
are they really trying to say that executives are bloodsuckers?

Are you trying to say they aren't?

Not at all. Over the years, I've explained to several how totally clueless/useless they are.
August 13, 2011 03:41PM
mrcondron
Frank Furter
Why isn't there a mosquito trap that takes advantage of that CO2 seeking behavior?

There is one: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202325463&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202325463&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202325463&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=1006 (my son has the 120V version which was a lot less expensive)

My son in Houston (Pearland actually) bought one a few years ago and reduced the mosquito count in his backyard from thousands to only a very few. That process took about three days. It uses about one 25 pound tank of propane a month as it runs 24/7 during the mosquito season. It will clear approximately 1/4 acre. The military has a larger version that will clear several acres.

Interesting! What happens to the mosquito carcasses?

-- Carl Sagan
August 13, 2011 04:12PM
Frank Furter

They get trapped inside a disposable bug bag.
August 13, 2011 05:33PM
plawrence
Frank Furter

They get trapped inside a disposable bug bag.

The little net bag holds about one cup. My son had to empty the full bag each day the first few days when he first started using the thing. After a week or so the daily kill was in the teaspoons.

I did the North Highland Way in Scotland a few years ago and most of the inns along the way had one or two of these things to mitigate the midges.
(another place to have a bit of 12 year old)

Old Dude
August 13, 2011 06:22PM
mrcondron
(another place to have a bit of 12 year old)

Or a bite of 12 year old if one is a midge.
August 13, 2011 10:14AM
Just got back from Tuolumne. We were in the B loop, and didn't have a problem. At the higher elevations, mosquitoes were worse. Dog Lake area was bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login