Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Hiking Half Dome during last day of multi-day backpacking trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking Half Dome during last day of multi-day backpacking trip
August 03, 2011 06:55AM
In a couple of weeks I am going on a 3 night hike starting at Tuolumne Meadows (Lyell Canyon TH) and exiting at Happy Isle. We are planning to to do Half Dome on our last day and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any place to camp closer to Half Dome than LYV. Like maybe near the JMT and half dome trail junction? We want to get an early start and beat the crowds.
  2. Where is a good place to stash your backpack while hiking Half Dome? I read somewhere that Rangers could hand out fines for un-attended backpacks.
  3. Any other helpful tips would be appreciated

Jay
avatar Re: Hiking Half Dome during last day of multi-day backpacking trip
August 03, 2011 07:51AM
hikerjay
Is there any place to camp closer to Half Dome than LYV. Like maybe near the JMT and half dome trail junction? We want to get an early start and beat the crowds.
You can camp anywhere you like just about once you are past the HD/JMT split.
Some people camp near the spring area, some right near the subdome, many near the JMT/CR trail junction where a stream is.
hikerjay
Where is a good place to stash your backpack while hiking Half Dome? I read somewhere that Rangers could hand out fines for un-attended backpacks.
Why not just leave your gunk set up... go up HD... come back... pack up.
Not sure where you got the un-attended thing from. Are all your required items in your bear can?
So what if it's in your pack... the bear won't get it... (ok, he may just snag the entire pack)
(but yes, I wouldn't leave my can in the pack and go up HD)
(and I'd be extra careful around the HOT spots... (all HSCs, Cath Lakes, Glen Aulin, Lyell))
Others will say more prolly... but I just left my stuff out of my pack behind a rock between
the spring and the subdome area... where I figured no one would bother any of it..
(some clowns said "the trails over here" )
hikerjay
Any other helpful tips would be appreciated
Take a Summit Twinkie
Don't take any pictures of Marmuts - they get way too much press for a rodent

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login