Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mommoth area directions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 03, 2011 10:33AM
If you wanted to hike Lyle Pass to the Minarets and come out at Mammoth for the purpose of picking up the Yarts bus I presume one would go from Minaret Lake to Devil's Post Pile and then take the Mammoth Pass/Reds Meadow trail to its trailhead at Horseshoe Lake. How does one get from there to the nearest Yarts stop, presumably in Mammoth Lakes? Is this a hitch-hike on Rt. 10? I'm sure the best bet is simply leave one car at Horseshoe Lake and another at Toulumne Meadows but was curious if anybody has done this using Yarts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 05:50AM by tomdisco.
avatar Re: Mommoth area directions?
August 03, 2011 01:01PM
If you take the bus from Reds Meadow instead of hiking to Horseshoe Lake, you'll be dropped off at the place YARTS starts from.
August 03, 2011 01:10PM
I'm still trying to figure out where Lyle Pass is...

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 03, 2011 01:45PM
chick-on

You have to Lovett. (And it's next to Mommoth of course).

Grinning Devil
August 03, 2011 02:35PM
eeek
chick-on

You have to Lovett. (And it's next to Mommoth of course).

Grinning Devil

We're still trying to figure out where Mommoth is?
Out with the Dadmoth and Mothlets?
(ConfusedMammothly Yours)
The Marmots
August 03, 2011 04:19PM
O.K., guys. Yes, two typos. Gotta stop drinking so early in the day. How about Donahue Pass and Mammoth Mountain?

Also, I was not aware of a bus from Reds Meadow. What can you tell me about that outfit?
August 03, 2011 04:42PM
http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/reds-meadow-and-devils-postpile-shuttle-information.htm

Not sure what you up to... since after visiting bee-ewe-tuh-full Loch Tablae... you won't want to go anywhere else...

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 04, 2011 06:06AM
chick-on
http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/reds-meadow-and-devils-postpile-shuttle-information.htm

Not sure what you up to... since after visiting bee-ewe-tuh-full Loch Tablae... you won't want to go anywhere else...

Already thinking about next year's trip. I was going to do the Clark Range/Red Peak loop but am now thinking about the Thousand Islands Lake/Mt. Ritter area to the base of the Minarets. Going all the way thru to Mammoth is just an option, with preferably cars at each end. The only reason it's even an option is to save a day or two towards another shorter hike somewhere like maybe Ten Lakes. When all is said and done I will likely end up sticking with a round trip back thru Donahue Pass, which is the original plan.

Given my age and limited access to Yosemite I probably will only see Table Lake the one time this year. sad smiley
August 03, 2011 05:20PM
And when you get off the Reds shuttle at the ski resort, you get on the resort shuttle into town.

I b'lieve YARTS has three stops in town, we used the one at Shilo Inn.
August 04, 2011 04:42AM
AlmostThere
And when you get off the Reds shuttle at the ski resort, you get on the resort shuttle into town.

I b'lieve YARTS has three stops in town, we used the one at Shilo Inn.
  • Mammoth Mountain Inn
  • Juniper Springs Lodge
  • Mammoth Lakes Park & Ride - Corner of Tavern at Old Mammoth Rd.
  • Shilo Inn - Highway 203
August 03, 2011 10:21PM
tomdisco
If you wanted to hike Lyle Pass to the Minarets and come out at Mammoth for the purpose of picking up the Yarts bus I presume one would go from Minaret Lake to Devil's Post Pile and then take the Mammoth Pass/Reds Meadow trail to its trailhead at Horseshoe Lake. How does one get from there to the nearest Yarts stop, presumably in Mammoth Lakes? Is this a hitch-hike on Rt. 10? I'm sure the best bet is simply leave one car at Horseshoe Lake and another at Toulumne Meadows but was curious if anybody has done this using Yarts.

We started at that trailhead about a week ago. We did not want to shuttle two cars so we took advantage of the fact that Mammoth has great public transportation. The YART is a bummer because of the time it puts you east of Yosemite (it gets to the Mammoth Mt. Inn @ 8:50 pm so we did spend the night in Mammoth the day before we started the hike. We initially left our car at Tuloumne Meadows even though the plan was to go clear to Happy Isles( we wanted an escape if things were not going well) and were supposed to ride Yarts twice but hitched a ride for the leg that involved getting from Tuolumne to Mammoth. It took 45 minutes to find a ride. Might have been a little easier for us since we are two women... I do not know. We stayed at the Mammoth Mt. Inn - and then took free town trolley shuttles to trail head - day hiked Red Cones to Red's Meadow for acclimation, took the red's Meadow shuttle back to Mammoth Mt. Inn, stayed another night then rode the shuttle back up the next day and stayed in for good. When we hiked to Tuolumne Meadows, we took a day, drove the car to the Valley and rode YARTS back to TM and stayed the night in the BP camp (Which is not a backpackers c.amp at all...its really just a walk in unles all those people are planning on pulling those coolers with them!) and continued with our trip. YARTs bus was nice...good A/C comfy seats with a potty and on time if you do have to ride it.

The Mammoth Pass trailhead at Horseshoe lake is called Red Cones trailhead by the Inyo NF. That area where Horseshoe lake and lake Mary etc are located is called Mammoth lakes Basin and there is a Lakes Basin Trolley that is free that makes stops up there - check this link to the public transit map and info https://123mammothcondo.com/transit_map_of_mammoth_lakes_summer.pdf for times and such. The Yart bus stops two or three times in Mammoth... the Mammoth mountain Inn is its final stop. I believe it also stops at the Shilo Inn and may make one other stop.

A vender does operate the red's meadow shuttle... it is 7 bucks per person, you pay the driver cash. It makes 10 stops along the Minaret Road/Devil's Postpile. It starts at the Mammoth Mountain Inn...you can drive there and park your car or ride the Yarts there.

Hope you get to go on your trip. The Inyo permit we got that granted us entry into Yosemite via the JMT was very vague so we got to wander all over in the place in the park before finally exiting at Happy Isles. We had 12 days on our permit, stayed in for 11 and spent 6 of then exploring clouds rest, echo valley and the Merced River Canyon.
August 03, 2011 10:32PM
riverkat

When we hiked to Tuolumne Meadows, we took a day, drove the car to the Valley and rode YARTS back to TM and stayed the night in the BP camp (Which is not a backpackers c.amp at all...its really just a walk in unles all those people are planning on pulling those coolers with them!) and continued with our trip.

I doubt that the people are planning to pull the coolers with them on their backpacking trip, but since the TM Backpacking Camp can be used on the first and last night's of a backpacking trip, I would imaging many backpackers enjoying the contents of their coolers on their first night and then storing the coolers in the nearby bearlockers for the remainder of their backpacking trip. At least at the Yosemite Valley BP camp, the rangers will often come in and ask to see everyone's Wilderness Permits.

Leave No Trace
August 04, 2011 07:24AM
plawrence
riverkat

When we hiked to Tuolumne Meadows, we took a day, drove the car to the Valley and rode YARTS back to TM and stayed the night in the BP camp (Which is not a backpackers c.amp at all...its really just a walk in unles all those people are planning on pulling those coolers with them!) and continued with our trip.

Yes, I doubt that the people are planning to pull the coolers with them on their backpacking trip, but since the TM Backpacking Camp can be used on the first and last night's of a backpacking trip, I would imaging many backpackers enjoying the contents of their coolers on their first night and then storing the coolers in the nearby bearlockers for the remainder of their backpacking trip. At least at the Yosemite Valley BP camp, the rangers will often come in and ask to see everyone's Wilderness Permits.

I would think they wouldn't pull them either...but it was very apparent that some of the people there were not interested in backpacking at any point in the immediate future. The place seems to function more as a walk-in campground. We set our tent and gear up before departing to drop the car off in the Valley - it was pretty early in the day. We stayed a little later than we would have liked the next day because we had to wait for the PO to open to get our resupply. Camps that were well established when we arrived the first day were left as established when we left the next. We finally asked a group where they were on their journey and they owned the fact that they were just using it as a walk-in camp for a few days because it was too hard to get a reservation. People had table clothes and lanterns...things you wouldn't take backpacking. I realize that you can haul things back and forth to your car but that sure seems lke a lot of trouble for one alleged night, especially since you have to haul it uphill from one of the two 15 minute parking spaces alloted for the BP camp.

The morning we departed two volunteers came and asked us how many people were in our site for he previous night. They did not ask who or if anyone paid or to see our permit (we were very suprised by that). We allowed four other people to camp with us there... two PCT through hikers who cowboy camped and left before sunrise and two teenage boys on their first backpack. We have no idea if they paid or not. These people approached us in the evening. Never been to the Valley BP but I do know the Valley is much more popular destination so perhaps they are more diligent about enforcing policy but they sure weren't up at TM.
August 05, 2011 08:50AM
I'll not be camping at the TM backpacker's camp again...it was the worst camp on our JMT hike. We hated it so bad that at Reds Meadow, we got a regular campsite, instead of using the BP'rs camp.

I'll be dropping off some hikers at the Tuolumne Camp tomorrow afternoon (ick, Saturday.) Best of luck to them...
avatar Re: Mammoth area directions?
August 04, 2011 07:07AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login