Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upper Pines is first come first served off season?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Pines is first come first served off season?
August 04, 2011 09:52AM
It's been a while since I camped in Upper Pines in the off season, but I seem to remember being able to get a non site specific reservation. The reservation site now says it is walk up only, first come first served. When did that change? And do they still only keep the front half open in off season?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 09:53AM by hotrod4x5.
avatar Re: Upper Pines is first come first served off season?
August 04, 2011 02:00PM
That is correct - from the last weekend of November until the middle of March, all sites are non-reservable, walk-in only. It's been this way for a few years, I don't know when it changed.

The number of available sites varies throughout the winter, regulated by the various gates they open and close. The back half is entirely closed. The first few loops will open and close depending upon snow, plowing, and holiday demand.
August 04, 2011 02:19PM
My understanding is that there's no problem getting a site in the off-season. Besides that, the campfire restrictions are gone.
August 04, 2011 02:30PM
There is usually no problem getting a site there, except on holidays, even minor ones like MLK day. Campfires are somewhat limited as the fire pits are often covered with snow. They plow only the road and a slot for your car.

I would only stay there if I were planning to sleep in my vehicle. Your neighbors will primarily be RV's. If you are tent-camping, go to Camp 4. Beautiful in the winter, usually quite empty, much warmer and more pleasant as you'll get a bit of sun. Cheaper, too.
August 04, 2011 02:35PM
QITNL
There is usually no problem getting a site there, except on holidays, even minor ones like MLK day. Campfires are somewhat limited as the fire pits are often covered with snow. They plow only the road and a slot for your car.

I would only stay there if I were planning to sleep in my vehicle. Your neighbors will primarily be RV's. If you are tent-camping, go to Camp 4. Beautiful in the winter, usually quite empty, much warmer and more pleasant as you'll get a bit of sun. Cheaper, too.

I think that's dependent on the number of people in the group. If you have a group of five, then Upper Pines might make more sense. Also - some people might want to be able to park close to their tent.
August 04, 2011 03:47PM
y_p_w
some people might want to be able to park close to their tent.

It does help to be close to the car so you can shoo the bear away.
August 04, 2011 03:36PM
Thanks. I have a 5th wheel trailer, but have been tenting it this summer due to the price of gas. Planning to take it there for a week in December and the last time I camped in December I was able to make a reservation, hence the question.
August 05, 2011 05:24PM
It has been busier in the off season. About 10 years ago, they only had the first loop open end Nov-beginning Dec. Later the second loop was opened too.

Did a Christmas craft show there at Curry for several years...camped in a small 5th wheel too. Only made reservations one of the times...

Lately, in the off season, the prices offered for tent cabins were so good that we couldn't justify pulling the 5th wheel.
August 05, 2011 05:29PM
hikerchick395

Lately, in the off season, the prices offered for tent cabins were so good that we couldn't justify pulling the 5th wheel.
This is exactly what we did last Dec. And I don't know, maybe you are right. I am getting excited about using my trailer this winter and you put a damper on it! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 05:30PM by hotrod4x5.
August 05, 2011 10:21PM
Personally, I'd rather sleep in my own camper than stay in a Curry Village tent cabin any day of a year.
August 05, 2011 10:28PM
You're right Plawrence. And if we stay a week, the extra cost of the tent cabin vs campsite offsets the cost of gas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login