Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Vernal/Mist Recovery

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Vernal/Mist Recovery
August 06, 2011 12:53PM
L.A. Times

One of the three young hikers that went over Vernal has been found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 01:29PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
August 06, 2011 07:39PM
"His body was discovered around 1 p.m. Friday in the Merced River, some 240 feet from the base of the Yosemite falls."

Typo? The base of Yosemite falls is well over 240 feet from the Merced. I assume they mean Vernal.
August 06, 2011 07:59PM
hotrod4x5
"His body was discovered around 1 p.m. Friday in the Merced River, some 240 feet from the base of the Yosemite falls."

Typo? The base of Yosemite falls is well over 240 feet from the Merced. I assume they mean Vernal.

Perhaps the author of the article is just related to little Ronnie R.:
'If you've seen one redwood waterfall, you've seen them all.'
August 09, 2011 12:18PM
I'm reading it as I believe he meant it. Notice there's the word "the" and a lower case "f" which would mean he's using Yosemite as the location of the waterfall the people went over, as opposed to simply saying Yosemite Falls. Besides, Yosemite Falls isn't on the Merced River, it's on Yosemite Creek.

Please forgive me for being such a stickler about the English language, but since it wasn't my first language, I've become quite a nit-picker about it *LOL*
August 06, 2011 09:03PM
hotrod4x5

I think the author probably meant from the base "of a waterfall located in Yosemite." Otherwise, he would have typed Yosemite Falls. My two cents. I do agree the way it's written is unclear.
August 06, 2011 09:31PM
Ohnivy-Drak
hotrod4x5

I think the author probably meant from the base "of a waterfall located in Yosemite." Otherwise, he would have typed Yosemite Falls. My two cents. I do agree the way it's written is unclear.
Good catch, you are probably right. If there was no falls named Yosemite, it wouldn't be so ambiguous.

It is incorrect to call Vernal a "falls" because it is technically a fall, since it is a single cascade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2011 09:32PM by hotrod4x5.
August 06, 2011 09:42PM
hotrod4x5
Ohnivy-Drak
hotrod4x5

Good catch, you are probably right. If there was no falls named Yosemite, it wouldn't be so ambiguous.

It is incorrect to call Vernal a "falls" because it is technically a fall, since it is a single cascade.

Yea, I make that mistake all the time. It just feels more natural to say "Falls," for whatever reason.
August 07, 2011 10:50AM

As long as the semantics are being busted out. Doesn't a cascade flow over/down something while a water freefalls in a waterfall? Dictionary says "a small waterfall or series of small waterfalls", but I always associated it with water at <90 degree angle.

I gotta get this cleared up before I can sleep tonight! wink
August 09, 2011 12:23PM
I forgot to use the "quote" option, so I really messed up sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 12:27PM by SierraGold.
August 09, 2011 12:27PM
Ohnivy-Drak
hotrod4x5

Whoops!! I guess that will teach me to speak before I read the WHOLE thread *LOL*
August 09, 2011 06:43PM
JHC people, the second sentence states clearly Vernal Falls and "the Yosemite falls" bit identifies it as in Yosemite.

Old Dude
August 09, 2011 06:58PM
mrcondron
JHC people, the second sentence states clearly Vernal Falls and "the Yosemite falls" bit identifies it as in Yosemite.

Old Dude has spoketh Bowing to his greatness

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
August 09, 2011 07:11PM
Bee
mrcondron

Old Dude has spoketh Bowing to his greatness

This is what happens when TOD and the chikin interact for just one weekend. He reverts to thinking in Chikinese.
(Unbelievingly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 07:15PM by szalkowski.
August 06, 2011 08:37PM
I hate to say it but this is "Good News''. These families have suffered enough and it's time to get their loved ones home.
August 07, 2011 02:22PM
ERICG
I hate to say it but this is "Good News''. These families have suffered enough and it's time to get their loved ones home.

Two of the victims' bodies haven't been recovered yet. They still have a lot of angst left.

Even so, I don't agree with their stand that the NPS should have made a greater effort to search for them in case they would have survived. There was zero chance that any human could survive a drop down Vernal Fall unless it were in some sort of protective device.
August 07, 2011 11:54AM
Yeah, heard the helicopter overhead as I scrambled up Illilouette gorge (what's up with this water level in August?!). My wife down on the valley floor was glad it wasn't for me. I hope that the recent fatal accidents remind people that, ultimately, it is about personal responsibility.

Be careful out there while enjoying our wild places. .
August 07, 2011 04:14PM
We watched the choppers bring back a body bag first than a large black bag , we assumed the second one had a body or bodys in it but i guess it was their gear
avatar Body of Missing Man Recovered in Yosemite National Park
August 08, 2011 06:13PM
Body of Missing Man Recovered in Yosemite National Park - news release
Hormiz David was One of Three Hikers Witnessed Plunging Over Vernal Fall on July 19, 2011
Scott Gediman 209-372-0248
Kari Cobb 209-372-0529

Yosemite National Park has recovered the body of Hormiz David, a 22 year old male from Modesto, CA. David was found in the Merced River, approximately 240 feet from the base of Vernal Fall by Yosemite Rangers and Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel at approximately 1:00 p.m. yesterday, August 5, 2011. Recovery operations took approximately four and one half hours to complete and required technical rigging and swift water trained personnel.

David has been missing since July 19, 2011, when he, Ninos Yacoub, 27 year old male, of Turlock, CA, and Ramina Badal, 21 year old female, of Manteca, CA , were witnessed being swept over the 317 foot waterfall. The area where the three were swept away is signed as a dangerous area, and the group had crossed a metal guardrail placed there to keep visitors away from the fast moving water. River water levels in Yosemite continue to remain higher and colder than usual for this time of the year. Visitors are urged to exercise extreme caution when in and around waterway in the park.

Yosemite National Park Rangers and SAR personnel are continuing recovery efforts in the Merced River, below Vernal Fall, for any signs of Yacoub and Badal. The Mist Trail, leading to the top of Vernal Fall, will intermittently and temporarily be closed until recovery operations of Yacoub and Badal are completed. The trail remains closed until approximately noon today, August 6, 2011.

The search area included in the recovery effort is one of the most rugged areas of the Merced River. Yosemite Park Rangers and SAR personnel continue to exercise caution while searching along the slippery rocks and while near the high, fast moving water of the Merced River.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 06:13PM by eeek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login