Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.


Advanced

Clouds Rest on Saturday?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 10:31AM
I was planning on hiking Clouds Rest Saturday and Ten Lakes on Sunday. I have to cancel my hotel reservations by Thursday night for a refund. Is the snow too much, do you think? There are no webcams in the high country.
avatar Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 11:06AM
I'm going by the Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge cam to make my upcoming decision (the McCoy's cam was inoperative when I checked this morning).
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 12:25PM
It's snowing in Mammoth Village, the cam clearly shows 2-3 inches.
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 12:54PM
I was thinking about this (Clouds Rest) also, either Sat or Sun, but as a day hike. The weather forecast looked good for those two days, but I'm unsure about Tioga Pass. There is quite a bit of snow above 6000 feet in the Sierra, according to online news reports.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 01:00PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
avatar Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 03:41PM
Quote
Ulysses61

I was planning on hiking Clouds Rest Saturday and Ten Lakes on Sunday. I have to cancel my hotel reservations by Thursday night for a refund. Is the snow too much, do you think? There are no webcams in the high country.

Even if hiking Clouds Rest isn't advisable on Saturday due to weather conditions, as long as heavy rain and snow aren't in the forecast for that weekend, there ought to be many other recreational opportunities to avail oneself around the Yosemite region. Personally, I wouldn't cancel a hotel reservation just because my initial plans might not be doable due to possible weather conditions.

OTOH, if the forecast is for heavy winter storms this weekend, then go ahead and cancel.
avatar Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 06:09PM
I'm going to the east side, so my first issue is whether the passes open by then (I assume so). The next issue is which toys to bring, backpacking gear? extra stuff for snow camping? car camping? I may solve that second question by just throwing everything in the car.

In any case...Mammoth is claiming a foot of new snow, but I already see signs it may melt reasonably quickly - there's more snow on the ground now than this morning, but there's less covering the base of the Thunderbound lift. We'll see.
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 04:08PM
This weekend's forecast is for it to clear up on Friday and then be sunny through next week. We are going up Friday regardless of the weather. Personally I am with Plawrence about not cancelling due to weather and just finding something else to do. I can't tell you how many times we planned to go somewhere and bad weather was forecast and the storm either came early or came late and we had good weather.
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 04:44PM
Check out the park's facebook page. 12-18 inches of snow in Tuolumne!
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 04:52PM
Hotrod, I just saw Yosemite's FB page and about fell over. They show a photo of a guy walking in the High Country and the snow is up to his calves. I hiked Youngs Lake on Sunday and it was chilly but clear as a bell. Wow, what a change!

As for cancelling my hotel reservations, I go to Yosemite every weekend in the summer and fall, so it's not a big deal. I am cancelling. There is no way this much snow will melt by the weekend.
avatar Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 04:58PM
Quote
Ulysses61

As for cancelling my hotel reservations, I go to Yosemite every weekend in the summer and fall, so it's not a big deal. I am cancelling.


Well, you won't be going to Yosemite THIS fall weekend. wink
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 05:25PM
And this weekend will be the peak for fall colors on 395. sad smiley
avatar Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 06:22PM
Quote
Ulysses61

And this weekend will be the peak for fall colors on 395. sad smiley

Then just book a room in Bishop! I'm sure there are some rooms still available even at this late date.
Re: Clouds Rest on Saturday?
October 05, 2011 07:39PM
Mammoth in the town got 9 inches, I just called a friend there. Everything above 10,000 feet got hammered. Hiking is out this weekend. sad smiley

Tioga is said to open again tomorrow am.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login