Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Fall color update: North Mono Basin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Fall color update: North Mono Basin
October 07, 2011 03:05PM
October 07, 2011 05:45PM
Looks like the Sierra will be about a week late this year as far as the peak colors go. The last week of October instead of the third week. Noticed that the Rockies are about a week later this year also. All this can change with weather of course .Yosemite Valley, first week of November instead of the last week of October. My own personal observations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 05:49PM by eeek.
October 07, 2011 06:25PM
I've hiked in the Sierras since I was 18 years old (sadly, 30 years ago now), and I have never seen peak fall colors during the last week of October. Peak colors in the 80's were frequently the last week in September. Peak colors in the 90's varied widely, but was usually the first week in October. The last 12 years have never seen peak colors in late October. The last 12 years offers a similar time table, and invariably the deciduous trees are nude by the last week of October.

I don't mean to sound contrarian, and I am restricting my comments to the spectacular fall color portions of the Sierras, which is Dusy Basin/Aspendell up to Mono Village, north of Bridgeport.
October 08, 2011 09:16AM
It all comes down to elevation of course. Trees above 10,000 ft. are probably looking pretty good now. I'm going to aim at going to the Eastern Sierras (McGee Creek, Convict Lake, Sherwin Creek, June Lake Loop, Lee Vining Creek) around the 21st of Oct. hoping trees will be near peak at those elevations. I'll keep an eye on this site and "Fall Colors in California" (Carol Leigh) as I can switch my dates if need be.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 09:25AM by mtn man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login