Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Upper Cathedral Lake trail conditions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Cathedral Lake trail conditions?
October 09, 2011 01:47PM
I was toying with the idea of trying to hike to Clouds Rest early this week, but ranger says trail is still 100% snow travel w/ ice likely on summit. Not especially feeling like cranking through 1000' of switchbacks in snow, I'm considering a day hike to Upper Cathedral Lake as an easier alternative. I'm curious if anyone happened to do that hike this weekend, and can provide any specific details on trail conditions from the TM TH?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 01:48PM by enlightphoto.
October 09, 2011 02:35PM
I called the Ranger Station about 2 hours ago and was told essentially the same thing. I asked specifically about Clouds Rest and the Ranger said it was a foot deep in snow with trail finding skills necessary above the ridge which forks off into either Sunrise HSC or the other direction leading to Clouds Rest. Imagine the conditions on the summit approach... treacherous, I would presume. No thanks.

I then asked about Youngs Lake and Cathedral Lakes... same summation, except Youngs Lake will have more melt-off midweek because there are long sections of trail exposed to the sun. Temps next week will be unseasonably warm, but according to the Ranger to whom I spoke, these trails will still see "significant snow" on them next weekend. Bad news. sad smiley

He did think Four Mile Trail might be doable next weekend, since the valley floor temps may hit 80 degrees.
October 09, 2011 03:05PM
Ulysses61
I called the Ranger Station about 2 hours ago and was told essentially the same thing. I asked specifically about Clouds Rest and the Ranger said it was a foot deep in snow with trail finding skills necessary above the ridge which forks off into either Sunrise HSC or the other direction leading to Clouds Rest. Imagine the conditions on the summit approach... treacherous, I would presume. No thanks.

I then asked about Youngs Lake and Cathedral Lakes... same summation, except Youngs Lake will have more melt-off midweek because there are long sections of trail exposed to the sun. Temps next week will be unseasonably warm, but according to the Ranger to whom I spoke, these trails will still see "significant snow" on them next weekend. Bad news. sad smiley

He did think Four Mile Trail might be doable next weekend, since the valley floor temps may hit 80 degrees.

Thanks for your on Clouds Rest. Seems as if the snow season is already upon us. Most of the nice things off Tioga Pass are probably not doable. At least for mortals like myself. For fowl creatures with weird looking beaks, it's their fun house. smiling smiley If I were to go in the upcoming week or two, it would be to explore things in the Valley itself. Hopefully some autumn colors.
October 09, 2011 03:45PM
I did a quick roadtrip across SR120 Friday night. The storm series put 2.5 inches of precip in the YV bucket and it was obvious over a foot had fallen all along the highway beyond Gin Flat. Warm ground temps, especially in south facing rocky zones will melt much off during what is forecast to be a mid October period of fair weather. However at this time of year with lower sun altitudes, there are increasing steeper north facing forest areas that will get little sun so may hold the snow longer. If fair weather continues, by next weekend the new snow even in shady areas may not be much a factor. If heavier snows hold off for a couple more weeks, given promising skies and air clarity, I may day hike up in that zone again myself as I'd like to improve on the Cathedral Peak late light blue sky 4x5 I made in 2006 with some interesting clouds.

David
www.davidsenesac.com

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 03:48PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login