Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Turlock from Sentinel Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Turlock from Sentinel Dome
October 09, 2011 09:00PM
Been meaning to get up there and do this for awhile.

Mission Accomplished
Chick-on is looking at you!

October 09, 2011 09:04PM
If you can see it from up there, then they can see you from down there.
avatar Re: Turlock from Sentinel Dome
October 09, 2011 09:25PM
You think I didn't moon them?

October 10, 2011 08:33AM
I did hear that they reported a full moon a few days early in Turlock....

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
October 10, 2011 12:46PM
Very cool. I hope to get some long exposures at Yosemite while I'm there. What was the temperature like while you were taking that night shot?
October 10, 2011 06:49PM
It was probably just above freezing... but very windy.

October 14, 2011 01:05PM
Camera shot or moon shot?
October 17, 2011 01:18AM
I heard Turlock had report of a chicken screaming out "F*** Turlock" and showing them that they were number one, via his finger. Odd story...
October 17, 2011 07:02AM
Yup. We give them the bird. wink

We also lay on the horn and flip off the jerks on 41 who can't
understand how to use the pullouts and let us go by yesterday.
Speed limit is 55, not 35. It takes two seconds to pull over.
You ride the brake the entire way down to Oakhurst... go crazy...
but don't make me have to do it too!
#$%#!!!!!

October 17, 2011 10:39AM
chick-on

I think I was behind him going up to Tioga Pass from the east last Wednesday.
October 17, 2011 11:09AM
chick-on
Yup. We give them the bird. wink

Speed limit is 55, not 35. It takes two seconds to pull over.
You ride the brake the entire way down to Oakhurst... go crazy...
but don't make me have to do it too!
#$%#!!!!!

Aren't there still a couple of straightaways south of Fish Camp on Hwy 41 where you can still legally pass slow moving vehicles (dashed median yellow line) or has Caltrans repainted those straightaways to solid double-yellow lines?
October 17, 2011 01:23PM
plawrence
Aren't there still a couple of straightaways south of Fish Camp on Hwy 41 where you can still legally pass slow moving vehicles (dashed median yellow line) or has Caltrans repainted those straightaways to solid double-yellow lines?

There is a least one, yes. But the equation needs to include:
a) traffic coming the other way
b) bozo in front speed increase (all the sudden goes from 30 to 60)
c) not driving a Porsche

October 17, 2011 02:44PM
chick-on
plawrence

There is a least one, yes. But the equation needs to include:

a) traffic coming the other way
b) bozo in front speed increase (all the sudden goes from 30 to 60)
c) not driving a Porsche

Usually, Reasons B and C are not a problem for me (though I don't drive a Porsche or any other type of sports car, I can still usually accelerate quicker than the vehicle ahead of me), but Reason A can be a big bummer especially on a road like Hwy 41 where there's only a couple (at most) places where one can legally pass a slower moving vehicle. I'll also add Reason D that often comes into play:

d) a caravan of slow moving vehicles traveling at 35 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, making it very difficult (if not impossible) to pass them all in one straightaway.

Sorry about your bad luck on Hwy 41 (one of the main reasons I avoid travelling down that highway when at all possible).
October 17, 2011 04:31PM
plawrence
Usually, Reasons B and C are not a problem for me (though I don't drive a Porsche or any other type of sports car, I can still usually accelerate quicker than the vehicle ahead of me)

I was behind a car going 45 in a 65 heading to Capitol Reef. When I was finally able to pass he accelerated and I was going about 95 when I pulled sharply in front of him. At that point he tailgated me and seemed quite upset that I was slowing down for the curve ahead. He stayed on my bumper for a while but suddenly dropped back to his original snail-like pace. I think his wife was letting him know about his ancestry.
October 18, 2011 01:30AM
eeek

I was behind a car going 45 in a 65 heading to Capitol Reef. When I was finally able to pass he accelerated and I was going about 95 when I pulled sharply in front of him. At that point he tailgated me and seemed quite upset that I was slowing down for the curve ahead. He stayed on my bumper for a while but suddenly dropped back to his original snail-like pace. I think his wife was letting him know about his ancestry.

I really don't understand drivers like that (usually always male drivers). It's like your questioning their manhood if you dare pass them. While on roads that I'm very familiar with, I'm one who is likely to pass slower moving vehicles, on roads that I'm not too familiar with, drivers who are will often pass me. And when they do, I don't mind at all. I'll even slow down when they're passing me so they'll have an easy time doing it.
October 17, 2011 08:25PM
Ok, there were 2 people in front of me... and of course they sped up and then
a car came from other direction.

And 120 and 140 have the same exact issue. I deal with 120 all the time.
Pain in the rump until Groveland... with special mention of the 40 mph curves
easily done at 55 near Yosemite Lakes.

October 18, 2011 02:11AM
chick-on
Ok, there were 2 people in front of me... and of course they sped up and then
a car came from other direction.

And 120 and 140 have the same exact issue. I deal with 120 all the time.
Pain in the rump until Groveland... with special mention of the 40 mph curves
easily done at 55 near Yosemite Lakes.

I've found it to be a lot less of an issue on both Hwy 140 and Hwy 120 since both, in my experience, have numerous straightaways where one can legally pass the slower moving vehicles. And I'm familiar enough with Hwy 120 that I know by memory where the straightaways are exactly located which enables me to prepare to pass the slower moving vehicle(s) even before the straightaway comes into full view – so once I can see that there's no vehicles traveling the opposite direction, I can quickly pull out and pass the slower cars even before they realize they're in a passing zone.

The only stretch of Hwy 120 that can become a bit problematic is between Tuolumne Road (near the Groveland District Ranger Station of the Stanislaus N.F) and the next passing zone that starts after Sawmill Mountain Road. That's a stretch of a little more than 8 1/2 miles where there's no legal passing zone on Hwy 120. So when I'm traveling east or west on Hwy 120, I usually try my best to pass any slow moving vehicle before I reach that 8 1/2 mile segment of Hwy 120.

But if I still end up behind a slow moving vehicle on that segment of Hwy 120, I just relax and follow that vehicle from a safe distance (no tailgating) since I know there simply isn't any opportunity for me to legally pass it. (Though sometimes I try to use mental telepathy to suggest to the slow driver ahead of me to turn off the road at Buck Meadows or at the Tuolumne River Vista Point. wink )
October 17, 2011 04:50PM
chick-on
But the equation needs to include:
c) not driving a Porsche

( Credit: "The Adventures of Lewis and Cluck." )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 04:53PM by szalkowski.
October 17, 2011 04:49PM
If somebody starts to pass me on a road like that, with the dotted line, I slow down because it makes me a nervous wreck when they don't give themselves enough space to pass me before oncoming traffic approaches.
October 18, 2011 02:16AM
dqniel

If somebody starts to pass me on a road like that, with the dotted line, I slow down because it makes me a nervous wreck when they don't give themselves enough space to pass me before oncoming traffic approaches.

If someone is passing me on a two-lane road, I just slow down because I think it's just the courteous thing to do.

I don't want to impede that other driver if he or she is more comfortable traveling at a higher speed than me. So if they want to pass me, I try to make it easy and safe for them to do so. It's no skin off my back if they get to a destination before I do.
October 18, 2011 05:37AM
Lots of crappy drivers everyplace.Leave a little early,relax,live a little longer,slower.You're not going to work.On the other hand I'm all for making it legal to paint big red circles on the sides of R.V.s and blowing the crap out of them with a bazooka or whatever else you may have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 05:45AM by grant1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login