Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: My October 'play in the snow' Weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar My October 'play in the snow' Weekend
October 10, 2011 07:01PM
I originally planned to backpack from the Rush Creek trailhead to Weber Lake, hoping for fall color at least up to Gem Lake, and nice fall travel.

There was hardly any fall color.
On Saturday there was snow most of the way from the first cable car crossing below Agnew (lot more bare trail on Sunday!).

So I camped at Gem Lake, after deciding I didn't want to trudge through any more snow. And got some nice pictures along the Tioga Road, both going and returning (yea Caltrans and NPS for getting the road opened just in time!).

I got to Olmstead Point about 20 minutes after sunset Friday and took this:

Here's the view of Gem Lake from the ridge north of the dam:

For my campsite I found what was obviously a camping area underneath the snow (9-12 inches), shoveled the snow, waited a couple hours for the ground to dry, and set up my tent.

Conditions were changing fast on south facing slopes, there was a lot more bare trail on Sunday than on Saturday. On north-facing slopes, not much appeared to be changing despite the warmth. In fact, both days there was a dangerous section of ice patches where the trail is cut into northeast-facing rocks between the two cable track crossings.

On the way back along the Tioga Road...here's the Dana Fork:

Re: My October 'play in the snow' Weekend
October 10, 2011 07:14PM
Oh boy.... Thank you for posting these beautiful photos. I was assuming a day hike from Rush Creek to Agnew Lake would be feasible on Saturday because Rush Creek is so exposed to the sun.

I guess not. smiling smiley

Thanks for alerting me ahead of time so I can make alternate hiking plans. Looks like the hiking in the Sierras is concluded for this year.
avatar Re: My October 'play in the snow' Weekend
October 10, 2011 07:17PM
It was feasible _last_ Saturday. The dangerous patch was specific to the rockcut area, and the snow coverage was only above that area.

Just take poles, or somesuch, to steady yourself through the one patch and you should be good. You may even dayhike to Gem, depending on what the snow level from tonight's...stuff...is (seems pretty warm from here in the Bay Area). Just don't expect to hike from Agnew up to Spooky Meadow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 07:18PM by ttilley.
avatar Re: My October 'play in the snow' Weekend
October 11, 2011 03:40PM
Beautiful picture from Olmstead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login