Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snow conditions in Little Yosemite Vally

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snow conditions in Little Yosemite Vally
December 08, 2011 09:04AM
I'm planning a day hike to LYV this Saturday and would like to know what the snow conditions are. Can't find anything current online. Anybody been there recently? Probably should take snowshoes anyway.
I notice that nps posted the following so I'll be taking a new route:
The John Muir Trail from Clark Point to the top of Nevada Fall is closed for the winter. Access to Nevada Fall is available via the upper portion of the Mist Trail.

Geo3
avatar Re: Snow conditions in Little Yosemite Vally
December 08, 2011 09:23AM
Haven't been there recently... but for goodness sakes you certainly don't need your snowshoes.
It hasn't snowed in, what, a month now. They closed that section due to the runoff freezing
and thawing and dropping ice on unsuspecting souls on the trail...

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Snow conditions in Little Yosemite Vally
December 08, 2011 10:05AM
I came down from Sunrise Lakes/HTC through LYV yesterday. Didn't have snowshoes and you certainly don't need them for LYV. If anything, I would bring a yaktrax kind of thing for icy conditions. I had them (never used them) but the trail does get a little icy here and there...mostly in the forested areas where the old snow was packed down on the trail and then turned to ice. If you are looking for a day hike in LYV I would suggest heading up the Muir Trail up towards either Cloud's Rest or east on the high trail above the Merced River past that little lake and the small domes (names??) with the great views up the canyon. Pretty much snow free..like hiking on a cold September day, but lots of deadfall and trail debris from the wind.
I didn't go up LYV to Bunnell Cascade but would expect it being icier down in their...less exposure and lots of tree cover.
Trip report coming later today!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login