Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Nikwash question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Nikwash question
January 26, 2012 11:00AM
Okay, I know this is a stupid question, but I'm asking anyway.

The directions say use a capful. Do you who use the product consider a capful the entire cap, or just the part of the cap that seals the product?

Thanks in advance!
January 26, 2012 06:38PM
They say that a capful is 2 oz, or a fifth of a bottle. So it must be the whole cap.

I always alter that depending on how big the garment is, cotton (more) versus nylon (less), hard water (more) versus soft water (less), and so forth. You have to assume that their directions are for the worst case, or at least worse than the average case. Besides, the stuff is really expensive.

What is the worst that could happen? Your clothes don't get perfectly clean. It's still better than it was....
January 26, 2012 07:29PM
Ha! I had the same question when I first used the product. Based on the normal amount of detergent required to clean clothes, I determined that the "inner" compartment of the cap would have been too little of product. I use both the wash and the water proofing products and I have been very satisfied seeing the rain bead up the same way it would on a waxed car.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
January 26, 2012 09:36PM
How much I use is dependent on how many things I am washing since my washer has a sensor that adjusts the amount of water used based on weight. If I only have one jacket to wash, I use 1/2 the amount otherwise the nikwash will not rinse out completely.
January 27, 2012 10:22AM
I went ahead and did the entire cap to measure the product and was much more pleased with how things turned out. It would be nice if they were a bit more clear on the directions! Thanks everyone for your input.
January 29, 2012 04:08AM
Okay, this may be another stupid question, but does Nikwash actually work? I have a bottle of it somewhere, but I've never actually used it.
January 29, 2012 07:24AM
oakroscoe
Okay, this may be another stupid question, but does Nikwash actually work? I have a bottle of it somewhere, but I've never actually used it.

My son has a North Face raincoat that he wears everyday and the cuffs get dirty. He also wears it during marching band practice so it gets sweaty and starts to smell. I have washed it twice with Nikwash and that gets rid of the smell and also cleans the cuffs. I have also used it on my raincoat and it does not seem to affect the water repellant on either coats. However, I have never used it on something that is heavily stained.
January 29, 2012 09:56AM
oakroscoe

I have been using both products for a couple of years now (the Wash and the Waterproofing) and I found that if you use the first product, it makes the second one last longer (the second product works very well; you can see the rain bead up) I have had no risidual stains or odor, so the first product must be working, too.

January 29, 2012 02:15PM
In regards to waterproofing how does the Nik product compare to the aerosol products like Camp Dry?
January 29, 2012 04:14PM
I do not like to use the aerosol products because it seems like no matter how protected the area is from wind (while spraying) I still feel like I am inhaling the spray and shellacing my lungs. Also, I hate the smell of the spray products, too. Thus far, I have only had to treat with the Nik product once a season (after some hard rains, too)

January 29, 2012 09:02PM
plawrence
In regards to waterproofing how does the Nik product compare to the aerosol products like Camp Dry?

Their wash-in and spray water-repellent products work exceptionally well. However, they leave a rather unique and apparent odor to anything that's treated. The smell lasts at least until the first washing.

As far as the wash goes, I guess it's not supposed to be as harsh as typical commercial detergent. Those are alleged to strip some of the DWR to some degree. I'm pretty sure that an kind of washing removes some of the DWR, but it's a matter of how fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 09:03PM by y_p_w.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login