Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Campsite reservations this morning in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Campsite reservations this morning in Yosemite
February 15, 2012 07:41AM
How'd everyone do? I was trying to get a late June site for my daughter. Had to be a trailer site in Lower Pines. Didn't get it. But I still have May dates from last month's reservations buy date so we'll work it out.
avatar Re: Campsite reservations this morning in Yosemite
February 15, 2012 07:56AM
Any scalping activity spotted by anyone?

Old Dude
February 15, 2012 08:54AM
mrcondron
I've looked a few times and saw nothing. The scalpers may not be selling yet.
February 15, 2012 02:57PM
mrcondron

Just a trade offer so far: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/wan/2853301975.html
February 15, 2012 08:36AM
I had 6 people, 8 computers, 6 phones and got NOTHING.......

something is definitely wrong, the slack spaces (1 or 2 days in between people) didn't exist in less than a second after 7am.

me and my wife run a computer repair and webdesign firm and kinda know our way around the computer. the reservation system was completely booked at 7:00:01. I know this for a fact.
3 people went for one site and the other 3 went for another, while my other two looked for anything available.
my time was synced to time.nist.gov.

something is definitely wrong.
I would be interested to know if anyone got anything
I am really disappointed

edit, btw, this site was also unavailable shortly after 7am, looked like it was getting hammered

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 08:39AM by paradoxed.
February 15, 2012 09:12AM
I got a site! I'm so happy.

Feb. 15 is one of the most stressful days of the year for me.
February 15, 2012 09:33AM
This was my first time trying to reserve a campground. Last night, I had anxiety because of was afraid of not getting anything - and sure enough I DIDN'T! I was crying because I was planning our first family trip. I tried online right at 659/700am and within seconds EVERYTHING was reserved... I was on the phone until 745am and barely got through. I asked the girl if they sell to agents of some sort and she said, "no that'd be illegal." Which of course, I don't believe.... Is there any advice someone can give me? I really want to go. PLEASE HELP....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 09:37AM by ladyinc3@aol.com.
February 15, 2012 10:28AM
[email protected]
This was my first time trying to reserve a campground. Last night, I had anxiety because of was afraid of not getting anything - and sure enough I DIDN'T! I was crying because I was planning our first family trip. I tried online right at 659/700am and within seconds EVERYTHING was reserved... I was on the phone until 745am and barely got through. I asked the girl if they sell to agents of some sort and she said, "no that'd be illegal." Which of course, I don't believe.... Is there any advice someone can give me? I really want to go. PLEASE HELP....
My only suggestion is to try one of the campgrounds outside of Yosemite. The Mariposa County Fairgrounds, 45 minutes from the Valley, has cheap campsites with water/power and showers. Indian Flats, 20 minutes from the Valley, is another suggestion. You can leave your car there and take the YARTS bus, which includes entrance fees, and take the Valley Shuttle where ever you want to go in the Valley. Of course, it's not the same as camping in the Valley, or other Yosemite campgrounds, but at least you're there.
February 15, 2012 01:54PM
Dave
[email protected]

My only suggestion is to try one of the campgrounds outside of Yosemite. The Mariposa County Fairgrounds, 45 minutes from the Valley, has cheap campsites with water/power and showers. Indian Flats, 20 minutes from the Valley, is another suggestion. You can leave your car there and take the YARTS bus, which includes entrance fees, and take the Valley Shuttle where ever you want to go in the Valley. Of course, it's not the same as camping in the Valley, or other Yosemite campgrounds, but at least you're there.

And also remember that outside of Yosemite Valley but within Yosemite National Park there are a number of first-come, first-served campgrounds including the Bridalveil Creek, White Wolf, and half of the Tuolumne Meadows Campground plus several more first-come, first-served campgrounds off of Tioga Road.

A lot of campers I know actually prefer camping at the Yosemite campgrounds that are located outside of Yosemite Valley. The trick of getting a first-come, first-served campsite is to arrive early in the morning at the first-come, first-served campground of your choice.

February 15, 2012 10:16AM
We lucked out and got two sites this morning. Our group had 5 computers going. I know how frustrating it can be when you don't get a site but my only advice is to try again on March 15th. A week in the valley is what gets me through the rest of the year!
February 15, 2012 10:18AM
Yes, all but single nights were gone very quickly. If you keep looking up til about 7:20 a.m. (on the 15th of the month booking date) some sites that people were holding, for whatever reasons, let them go and the pop up from 7:15 to 7:20. At 7:18 site 45 in Lower Pines for 5 nights popped up over the 4th of July week. I grabbed but it had to let it go within a minute because my wife and kids decided they didn't want to be in Yosemite for the 4th...... Keep trying....people who grabbed a site today, after they talk to family/friends, sometimes decide that what they got won't work for them and the site will go back on the system.

Paradoxed, remember that there are thousands (probably tens of thousands for the summer months) of people worldwide doing the same thing you did: multiple computers, multiple people, all hitting the book button at exactly 7. a.m. In a way it's kind of a lottery, but it is frustrating. Recommend that you only try for weekdays and try for less popular sites and try to go for dates in May or early June. I know this is hard, especially with kids in school, jobs, etc. but you'd probably have better luck. Oh by the way calling the reservation phone number on the 15th is a waste of time.
February 15, 2012 12:47PM
Hi,

I have a strategy question: is it best to be looking at a specific site, say 502, and keep clicking BOOK THESE DATES at 7am. Or is it better to Just put your info like dates in and click search?

I was trying with four computers going by two people and could not find anything in North ot Lower Pines.

Thanks,
Dewey
March 10, 2012 06:25PM
DeweyWhopper
I have a strategy question: is it best to be looking at a specific site, say 502, and keep clicking BOOK THESE DATES at 7am. Or is it better to Just put your info like dates in and click search?

If you just try for a given site and it's already taken, no amount of clicking is going to help.
February 15, 2012 10:20AM
I must have been lucky......I went for my 1st choice....no dice.....then I took what was available (CROWDED STUDIO CAMPSITE). It will be my Mom's 75th birthday so we are very happy to get one (at least her 50th time in the park). I agree that this system is a challenge. I think it should be a daily or weekly system instead of 1 month sold out in 14 seconds. What bothers me is that it is nearly impossible to get a site, but when you get there, there are so many empty spaces. For us, we just try to adjust our attitudes when we get there and just be happy that were in. We don't spend that much time in camp anyway.

Tip: Bring Ear Plugs to get Zzzz'z in Tent City......or pick them up at Curry.

Walt
February 15, 2012 10:58AM
Thank you all for the suggestions and support.

I'm going to have to round up a crew for next month. After reading your suggestions, one mistake I did was sticking to a particular campground and when I seen how quickly everything was getting reserved online - I gave up and stuck to the phones....I'm just going to take whatever I can get come March 15th and say online for the booking. If all else fails, I'm going to try the out skirts of the valley. No matter what, as long as my family is together - I'm sure we'll have fun.

One last question, does anyone know how to book 2 sites together online? I couldn't figure it out. A total of 8 of us are going - so we'd need two sites together in the same campground...

Thanks!
February 15, 2012 11:22AM
Getting 2 sites next to each other is a longshot. I tried for 2 just in the same campground and had no luck. Also, you would need 2 different profiles. Rules say 6 but 8 people in 1 site is totally doable (I've seen groups of 20+) as long as you don't have 2 RV's. Wish you luck.

PS~ If you go after school starts in California (Mid-Late August) you will have much better luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 03:29PM by boomtown.
February 15, 2012 11:55AM
Okay, one site it is then. smiling smiley Thanks for the tips! Yes, I'll need the luck in March. Thanks all and happy camping.
February 15, 2012 04:14PM
boomtown
Also, you would need 2 different profiles. Rules say 6 but 8 people in 1 site is totally doable

As long as you aren't causing any trouble nobody will be counting.
February 15, 2012 05:31PM
We lined up 4 laptops & put the kids to work. We were after Lower Pines, but couldn't get anything. We were able to get 6 days in June at Upper Pines. Happy with our site - really excited for our 1st trip to Yosemite smiling smiley I agree with previous poster - this morning was VERY STRESSFUL! Watching the icon spin and spin and spin...
February 15, 2012 07:30PM
I tried this evening, and the site is not working for Yosemite reservations.
February 16, 2012 12:26AM
Hate to say it, but it sounds like the scalpers' bots were hard at work this morning. We'll know in a few months.
February 16, 2012 01:55PM
Pretty sure the new procedure requires one person who was listed when the reservation was purchased to be present when checking in - If this is so, I would imagine many spots will be opening up in the future
February 16, 2012 02:09PM
4 people 4 computers going and nothing. Good thing we have housekeeping $$$$$$ as a back up
February 16, 2012 02:29PM
Was fortunate to get DBL2.

This will be my first trip to Yosmite. 3 kids and Wife have been but never together. They are exited to go with Dad this time and be able to invite a couple of friends as well. Should be a hoot.

Even though we do not have a trailer, we are hoping to put up a couple small tents on the edges of the cement area and one 10x12 there as well. Maybe put the easy up and cook station on the cemented area. Think this will work for those that have had/see the site or do I need to get a trailer?
February 16, 2012 03:11PM
smokeybear
Even though we do not have a trailer, we are hoping to put up a couple small tents on the edges of the cement area and one 10x12 there as well. Maybe put the easy up and cook station on the cemented area. Think this will work for those that have had/see the site or do I need to get a trailer?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/camping/sh-dscn4175.jpg.html
February 20, 2012 08:38AM
smokeybear
Was fortunate to get DBL2.

This will be my first trip to Yosmite. 3 kids and Wife have been but never together. They are exited to go with Dad this time and be able to invite a couple of friends as well. Should be a hoot.

Here's another picture of Double 2.

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Lower-Pines/photos/Lower-Pines;02-dbl
February 18, 2012 09:20AM
I got a spot for 4 nights in late June, brother trying at his house got skunked. Bummer. We were looking for specific sites and clicked at 700 on the dot.

How long does it take to get to lower pines from Indian Flats?
February 20, 2012 08:50AM
AlpineBrian
I got a spot for 4 nights in late June, brother trying at his house got skunked. Bummer. We were looking for specific sites and clicked at 700 on the dot.

How long does it take to get to lower pines from Indian Flats?

If you are talking about Indian Flats campground near El Portal you are looking at about 45 minutes give or take depending on traffic, bear jams, etc.
February 20, 2012 09:54AM
Thanks for the info~ hard to tell on the photos what space is actually like outside of the parking/cement area.

Wife and I are discussing taking a day trip to check it out. Should be a fun pick~a~nick day for smokeybear~

Thanks agian eeek and mtn man
March 10, 2012 07:04PM
In the last weeks leading up to the trip, keep checking. People cancel.

The only times I have ever tried to reserve sites, I'm looking at the website a week or two before I wanted to spend the night.

I really have never had any trouble getting sites in Yosemite. I usually don't car camp - I backpack a lot - but have gotten campsites 4 times in the last two years with zero stress.
Re: Campsite reservations Yosemite
March 12, 2012 01:11PM
I was wondering, when the next time window of reservation is open (15 march), its possible to reservate beyond the 15 of aug?

if a want to stay from 18 till 20 aug, can i reservate form 14 til 20, and later I will change it in June !!!!

does that work?

please reply soon before 15 march 2012!
avatar Re: Campsite reservations Yosemite
March 12, 2012 01:27PM
aetor
if a want to stay from 18 till 20 aug, can i reservate form 14 til 20, and later I will change it in June !!!!

does that work?

As far as I know that should work.
Re: Campsite reservations Yosemite
March 12, 2012 02:11PM
yes that would work, but you can only reservate 7 days beyond 14 aug....
avatar Re: Campsite reservations Yosemite
March 12, 2012 02:20PM
aetor
yes that would work, but you can only reservate 7 days beyond 14 aug....

But you wanted until August 20th. That's within the 7 day window.
April 09, 2012 04:42PM
So this guy David -nick name eslumber emailed me that he has sites available. He is very high priced....

Anyone know anything about him?
April 09, 2012 04:56PM
[email protected]
So this guy David -nick name eslumber emailed me that he has sites available. He is very high priced....

Sounds like a scalper and sites aren't transferable it sounds like he's a scammer too.
April 09, 2012 05:07PM
[email protected]

The interesting question would be, how did he get your email address? And, yes, definitely a scalper, which is illegal, and if you go through him you may be "scalped", as in no campsite.
April 10, 2012 09:25PM
Having her email as her user id is a start Embaressed
April 10, 2012 09:23PM
That's David tran. Same main scalper from last year. He's doing it smart this year by not posting on Craigslist. But, yosemite are still idiots, or at least recreation.gov is in not fixing their stupid system. Scalpers are still finding ways to buy mass permits. They are just selling them to previous buyers or lurking forums and selling them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login