Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Choosing the Right Campsite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Choosing the Right Campsite
February 20, 2012 12:29PM
My family and I are planning a trip to Yosemite from July 11-15. We're starting the week out by camping and rafting the King's River, then traveling up to Yosemite on Wednesday.

I'm wondering what would be the best campsite for us. Here's a little about what we're looking for.
- group of 20 family members (8-17yrs: 3)(18-30yrs: 7)(31-60: 8)(60+: 1)
- looking for somewhere secluded, less dense, quiet (as much as possible)
- flushing toilets
- will have a dog
- possibly a close cabin where my grandmother can stay, if not a space for an rv
- since it will be july, we'd really enjoy some trees that provide shade
- running water
- we have one fisher in our group, i saw some campsites you can fish nearby

I was looking into White Wolf, heard the mosquitoes are bad. Is it miserably bad where you can't even be outside without being covered head to toe? Or just at certain times? And is there just normal tent camping at white wolf (non tent cabin sites)? Couldn't figure that out from several sites... We would like to set up our own tents since we'll have all our gear from the king's trip.

And any general advice I would gladly appreciate! Thanks!

-Amanda
February 20, 2012 01:45PM
finding a campsite in Yosemite for 20 people in July? Good luck!!! How about going up to the Red's Meadow area near mammoth (there are about 1/2 dozen campgrounds in that valley). Those are bigger campsites, have flush toilets and are away from things. You can make day trips back to the upper parts of Yosemite and the grandmother can stay in the town of Mammoth if need be.
avatar Re: Choosing the Right Campsite
February 20, 2012 02:37PM
telfair ave
finding a campsite in Yosemite for 20 people in July?

You could probably get that at Yosemite Creek on a Sunday morning.
February 21, 2012 07:35AM
Don't count on all of the campgrounds in the Reds Meadow area being open early season. The Reds Meadow Campground probably will be available, but the others won't be open until after downed tree clean up.
February 21, 2012 01:05PM
What about the Diamond O Campground along Evergreen Lodge road on the way to Hetch Hetchy?
February 21, 2012 06:53PM
qumqats
What about the Diamond O Campground along Evergreen Lodge road on the way to Hetch Hetchy?

I don't recall this campground ever being marked "Full". It is in a very nice location.

Old Dude
February 22, 2012 10:29AM
Dimond O does not have any availability on Friday, July 13th, other than the Walk Up - First Come First Served sites, and there are only four of them. There are four sites on the 11th, one on the 12th, and one on the 14th. Each site is a maximum of 6 people.
February 20, 2012 02:32PM
ATPerez
My family and I are planning a trip to Yosemite from July 11-15. We're starting the week out by camping and rafting the King's River, then traveling up to Yosemite on Wednesday.

I'm wondering what would be the best campsite for us. Here's a little about what we're looking for.
- group of 20 family members (8-17yrs: 3)(18-30yrs: 7)(31-60: 8)(60+: 1)
- looking for somewhere secluded, less dense, quiet (as much as possible)
- flushing toilets
- will have a dog
- possibly a close cabin where my grandmother can stay, if not a space for an rv
- since it will be july, we'd really enjoy some trees that provide shade
- running water
- we have one fisher in our group, i saw some campsites you can fish nearby

I was looking into White Wolf, heard the mosquitoes are bad. Is it miserably bad where you can't even be outside without being covered head to toe? Or just at certain times? And is there just normal tent camping at white wolf (non tent cabin sites)? Couldn't figure that out from several sites... We would like to set up our own tents since we'll have all our gear from the king's trip.

Only suggestion I can think of is Wawona campground and the Redwoods cabins which are near Wawona (Yosemite). The group campground is not secluded but is near the river. Good luck on getting reservations.

-Amanda
March 12, 2012 04:20PM
So ATPEREZ I'm just curious about what you decided to do regarding your posts and everyone's suggestions.... Hope it worked out.
February 20, 2012 03:00PM
You already missed the June 15 - July 14 reservation window. You can check the reservation website to see if any nights become available for group campsites, but I wouldn't count on it. Getting a few sites in a non-reservation campground might be possible, but only if those campgrounds open early enough for you. Some of those campgrounds (including Tuolumne Meadows which is half non-reservation) have a predicted opening date of Friday, July 13. Others don't have a predicted date yet. All of these are located at elevations higher than Yosemite Valley; there will probably be mosquitoes.

Do you know that National Parks are not pet-friendly? Your dog will be limited to just a few places (paved trails, private property within the park, places like that.) Maybe the dog gets to hang out with grandma in the RV!
February 20, 2012 03:21PM
ATPerez

-Amanda

In regards to mosquitos, you'll have to deal with them at White Wolf as about the same as the Tuolumne Meadows campground. If one uses a good insect-repellant, like 3M Ultrathon, then they ought to be manageable. It's not like one needs to wear a head-net, but if the water levels are high, they'll be out there and in most years, in mid-July, you'll definitely have to apply insect repellent on your skin to avoid being bitten. But mosquitos in mid-July will make there presence known at ALL Yosemite campgrounds. You really can't avoid them.

In regards to White Wolf, there's a campground (White Wolf Campground) and the nearby White Wolf Lodge. The White Wolf Lodge has the tent cabins (like those found at Curry Village or the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge), the campground is just that — a campground — you'll need to supply your own tent, RV, camper, or travel trailer.
February 20, 2012 03:41PM
Thanks that definitely clears that up for me.
February 20, 2012 07:44PM
plawrence
ATPerez

-Amanda

In regards to mosquitos, you'll have to deal with them at White Wolf as about the same as the Tuolumne Meadows campground. If one uses a good insect-repellant, like 3M Ultrathon, then they ought to be manageable. It's not like one needs to wear a head-net, but if the water levels are high, they'll be out there and in most years, in mid-July, you'll definitely have to apply insect repellent on your skin to avoid being bitten. But mosquitos in mid-July will make there presence known at ALL Yosemite campgrounds. You really can't avoid them.

I'm guessing it won't be that bad. I was in the high country in 2007 when the water levels were pretty low, and the mosquitoes were tolerable. With what looks to be a minuscule snowpack, I'm thinking the mosquitoes should be pretty tame.

Now the mosquitoes I remember that were absolutely vicious were the ones I saw in Florida in late August. I had one land on my shirt sleeve. It was an extra-thick polyester knit jersey material, and it just bit me right through the fabric before I squished it. Even in the populated areas, I got bitten pretty badly when my repellent washed off in the rain.
February 20, 2012 03:40PM
I had a feeling it would be way to busy.

Looks like we'll be looking for somewhere to camp nearby.

Camping near Mammoth sounds nice, we'd love to check out that area as well while we're there. Though I checked google maps and it says the drive will take near 3 hours. Still a possibility but does anyone know of anything closer?
February 20, 2012 05:46PM
The Kings River where? The length of the drive from the Kings to Yosemite is going to be a slow one. No freeways unless you take the long way, and if you are driving RV or trailer, it's slower still....

You're going to need multiple campsites. The limit per site is six people.

I have successfully gotten sites walk in at Tuolumne Meadows by having people show up early early before 6 am to stand in line. They still had to get on the waiting list, and had to come back at 2 pm - but got enough campsites for the group and in close proximity to each other. Bridalveil (on the other side of the park practically but closer by road to Kings River) is entirely first come/first serve.

You should check out cabins in Wawona and in The Redwoods. It may make more sense for you to get a cabin or two for the family instead of camping. You'd probably have quieter nights.
February 20, 2012 06:47PM
Yeah we realize that it's far, we were planning to stay in the Kings for the whole week but when we found someone rented the cabin out there on Wednesday we figured we needed something else to do. We considered Sequoia, but we agreed that Yosemite would be more worthwhile.

Since we'll be driving all the way out there (most of my family is coming from San Diego) we might as well check out Mammoth Lake. Turns out my boyfriend used to go there during the summers and says there's plenty to do out there as well.
February 20, 2012 07:53PM
ATPerez
Yeah we realize that it's far, we were planning to stay in the Kings for the whole week but when we found someone rented the cabin out there on Wednesday we figured we needed something else to do. We considered Sequoia, but we agreed that Yosemite would be more worthwhile.

Since we'll be driving all the way out there (most of my family is coming from San Diego) we might as well check out Mammoth Lake. Turns out my boyfriend used to go there during the summers and says there's plenty to do out there as well.

So, instead of going from the Kings to Yosemite you're going three hours further to Mammoth? That's a whole full day of driving.

I'd stay in Sequoia - rent a cabin in Mineral King/Silver City, and hike and fish. Get a taste of the alpine and see some wildlife. There are campgrounds down there, but more primitive - pit toilets, but have water and trees for shade. Mineral King is a very different part of the park, gorgeous scenery, but really high elevation if you hike more than a couple miles up the trails. Love going to Franklin Lakes and watching the pika play in the rocks.

Or go stay in Sequoia campgrounds, enjoy the big trees, big vistas and shorter trails. Moro Rock is only 1/4 of a mile and a great view. There's resorts in the bordering national forest to get rooms in. Take a drive to the bottom of Kings Canyon and check out the Kings River. Or, check out cabins at Hume Lake and get your playing done all in one scenic place.
February 20, 2012 08:13PM
AlmostThere
So, instead of going from the Kings to Yosemite you're going three hours further to Mammoth? That's a whole full day of driving.

Last summer I did Onion Valley to Roads End. Yes, it was a long drive.
February 20, 2012 06:53PM
As previously mentioned, the wawona campground has a group camp site that is really nice - near a river and right next to flush restrooms that are cleaned daily. it is only used for large groups like yours. and the town of wawona is a 1/2 mile drive away and has those redwood cabins for rent - also the wawona hotel. But i'm not sure about how it works reserving the campsites in the campground.

my other favorite place is bridalveil campground which is a walkin in campground. I know of a few large group sites that they have there. they have running water restrooms cleaned daily. bridalveil campground is on glacierpoint road, not very far from glacier point if you don't mind being there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 06:55PM by marmot.
February 21, 2012 07:54AM
This isn't exactly a campground, but Mono Vista RV park fits your requirements. They have a tent area, showers and there is a motel or two in walking distance for your grandmother, as well, of course, as RV spaces. This is in Lee Vining, on the eastern side of the Sierra, so it would be a long haul from King's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 07:55AM by hotrod4x5.
February 21, 2012 08:38AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll have to bring it up with the family and see which they'd rather do.
February 21, 2012 08:50AM
Unfortunately Wawona campground is all booked up for those dates....
February 21, 2012 10:15AM
There is a pretty little campground called Summerdale, between Fish Camp (on hwy 41) and the entrance to Yosemite on hwy 41. The campground is along a river but there are only a couple of sites river-side (#17 is perfect), but the rest are within a very short stroll to the river. The entrance to Yosemite is one mile away.
There are about 11 sites still available for your dates. Unfortuntely they also have the 6 person per site limit and you are assigned the sites when you get there (they can't promise you particular site numbers and will assign you the sites when you get there). However as long as you have reservations you are guaranteed a site. The reservations are made on-line through reservations.gov (the same site to make Yosemite reservations). There are at least two hotel/motels near there, One pretty expensive (Tenaya Lodge) and I can't remember the name of the other one(White Chief mountain lodge?) Then there is the Wawona hotel which is about 6 miles from the campground. Yosemite Valley is abouut 1 hr. from the campground. The advantage of this campground is you can reserve sites versus the first come first served ones around the area which may be a problem in the middle of July.
February 22, 2012 11:34AM
after not getting in the valley, we chose summerdale, vault toilets (which is fine) no bear boxes (renting uhaul)
looks like a nice place, we are gonna use it as a base camp, from other posts it looked like our best bet.

we are gonna spend one day in the valley then hit outlying area's, gonna try craneflat midweek see if we can pickup a spot there.

thanks to the info in this forum, my family would rather be in summerdale away from the crowds than in the valley packed like a sardine smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login