Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite National Park = visitors, money and jobs

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite National Park = visitors, money and jobs
February 29, 2012 04:56PM
Yosemite National Park = visitors, money and jobs
Date: February 29, 2012

A new National Park Service (NPS) report shows that more than 4 million visitors in 2010 spent $354.7 million in Yosemite National Park and in communities near the park. That spending supported more than 4,600 jobs in the area.

"The people and business owners in gateway communities near national parks have always known their economic value," stated park superintendent Don Neubacher. "Yosemite National Park is a huge contributing factor that drives the economies in the greater Yosemite region."

Most of the spending/jobs are related to lodging, food, and beverage service (52 percent) followed by other retail (29 percent), entertainment/amusements (10 percent), gas and local transportation (7 percent) and groceries (2 percent).

The figures are based on $12 billion of direct spending by 281 million visitors in 394 national parks and nearby communities and are included in an annual, peer-reviewed, visitor spending analysis conducted by Dr. Daniel Stynes of Michigan State University for the National Park Service.

Across the U.S., local visitor spending added a total of $31 billion to the national economy and supported more than 258,000 jobs, and increase of $689 million and 11,5000 jobs over 2009.

To download the report, visit http://www.nature.nps.gov/socialscience/products.cfm#MGM and click on Economic Benefits to Local Communities from National Park Visitation and Payroll, 2010.

The report includes information for visitor spending at individual parks and by state.

For more on how the NPS is working within California, go to http://www.nps.gov/california
March 01, 2012 05:30AM
I know that I'll be dropping a few dollars in Yosemite this springsmiling smiley
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park = visitors, money and jobs
March 01, 2012 07:41PM
I must admit, many a time I've spent way more than I should have when I'm at the Iron Door in groveland.
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park = visitors, money and jobs
March 03, 2012 05:20PM
Pineapple hamburgers
March 02, 2012 06:58AM
We have stayed at Yosemite Lodge so many times that they should name a room after us. We are doing our part to help the economy. LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login