Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: July reservation question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July reservation question
March 17, 2012 04:59PM
I have several trips planned this summer for the high country. I wanted to reserve a spot for the July 4th weekend. However that block of reservations never opened up. With the snow pack this year, I have a feeling it will be an early opener unless something changes. Will those dates ever open up? Or how does that work. I don't want to miss a window but I really hate driving all that way on a crazy weekend if there aren't going to be any spots when I get there thanks.
avatar Re: July reservation question
March 17, 2012 05:25PM
Believe me, you don't want to be in the Park that weekend. Come the weekend before, or the one after, but not that one. Do you really want to spend 4 hours driving the Valley Loop?
March 18, 2012 08:16AM
TM campground is on first come first served IF it opens prior to July 15th. (someone correct me if I am wrong) but I am pretty sure that is what the ranger told me when I was there last summer, or was it June 15th?) Anyway, prior to the reservation window if it opens, the entire place is 1st come first served.
March 18, 2012 01:18PM
Okay, I will see what happens. I don't plan on going to the valley, I want to hit some day hikes in the high country I have yet to do. I normally backpack but everything I want to do I can day hike to this time. I have a trip set for August, but I am wondering with the weather this year, if August will be just dead meadows everywhere and no water by then
March 18, 2012 02:03PM
Good. Avoid the Valley at all costs. Also, avoid the South Entrance since you'd have to go through at least part of the Valley.

It's hard to predict what the Meadows will look like in August. Last nights storm brought in a bunch of snow, but we don't know how much yet, and it's not finished.
March 18, 2012 03:41PM
Dave
Last nights storm brought in a bunch of snow, but we don't know how much yet, and it's not finished.

And there might be more next weekend.
March 18, 2012 05:04PM
It seems winter has moved back to March.
March 18, 2012 06:04PM
Dave
It seems winter has moved back to March.

It does that sometimes.
March 18, 2012 07:04PM
Yeah I guess it really is too early to worry, maybe it will be a late winter and August will be perfect time??
March 18, 2012 08:24PM
Roadrash
Yeah I guess it really is too early to worry, maybe it will be a late winter and August will be perfect time??

Never know exactly how the weather is going to be this far in advance. After 80+ visits no matter what the weather or time of the year, we always find something to enjoy. Well, with the exception of the traffic during Memorial Day Weekend which is much worse than 4th of July. Even then, we don't go in the car and we know where to "hide" if we are in the Valley. You will have a great time!!!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login