Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Waterfalls, Peak Levels?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Waterfalls, Peak Levels?
May 05, 2012 01:58PM
Any guesses on the peak waterfalls level this year, and when will they stop?
May 05, 2012 05:01PM
You should go soon. My guess is the waterfalls will last until late June, early July. The peak is usually late May, or early June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 05:15PM by DanPJ.
May 06, 2012 10:15AM
GreatRafter
Any guesses on the peak waterfalls level this year, and when will they stop?

Last year (which was an unusual year) the Merced in the Valley peaked on June 16, with 6/23 being a close 2nd. However it should be earlier this year (my guess). Here's a site that may be somewhat helpful:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=hnx&gage=pohc1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
May 06, 2012 10:14PM
Never knew about that site. Good to know.
avatar Re: Waterfalls, Peak Levels?
May 07, 2012 09:14AM
On April 26th the Merced River peaked at about 8.1' at the Pohono Bridge. Right now it's running less than 6'. That may have been the peak. I watch this site:

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=POHC1

Enter April 26 to see the historical graph.
May 30, 2012 03:49PM
Calaveras
On April 26th the Merced River peaked at about 8.1' at the Pohono Bridge. Right now it's running less than 6'. That may have been the peak. I watch this site:

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=POHC1

Enter April 26 to see the historical graph.

Yup, that was the peak, so far. What a difference from last year!
May 07, 2012 11:27AM
Normally peak is late May, but it differs depending on which Falls also. I'd bet that Yosemite Falls will be pretty low by late June/ early July this year.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/waterfalls.htm
May 08, 2012 09:11AM
From todays park report:

May Snow Survey Results
Park rangers have completed the May 1 snow surveys. The water content of the snowpack is 26% of average for the Tuolumne drainage and 36% of average for the Merced drainage. (M. Fincher)

This could be a very short waterfall season and the falls won't be very spectacular. sad smiley
May 08, 2012 11:15AM
The flip side of this is earlier snow-free access to the high country and an earlier end to the mosquitos. I'll bet there are plenty of people here waiting for this. smiling smiley
May 08, 2012 12:11PM
I was in the Park late April. The Dewey/South-Rim plan was altered into a waterfalls-focused trip instead. Spent nearly an entire afternoon Sierra Point. Had it all to ourselves (usual hiking party of two). For Illilouette, that's the most I've ever seen it flowing. Other waterfalls were thundering too. Maybe they're even better now, but the trade-off for that day: nearly nobody was there for GP and Washburn.

Could see the power of Snow Creek and Pywiack from Washburn. I agree - the falls probably won't last too long this year. I'd say get there by mid-June to be safe. Not much snow this year, and the weather is pretty warm. I might go in a couple of weeks for some comparison, and hopefully have fun in Pohono area.

FYI: mid-July last year, there was still tons of snow on Hoffmann, a decent indicator for waterfall flow. YF was still going strong in Aug/Sep, highly unusual. Typically it's dried up by July. This year, might be even earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 03:45PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
May 08, 2012 02:46PM
Here are some "reference" pictures taken 4th of July, 2011:

Illilouette Falls - shot taken near Washburn Point

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall

Although it was late in the season I never had seen Illilouette Falls booming like this (it's not a very good photo because it was taken in broad daylight with a 200mm lens).
I doubt the falls will look anything like this in approx. 2 month. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 02:47PM by Half Dome Hiker.
May 08, 2012 03:55PM
Thanks for the photos, they are great. For Illilouette, that's roughly how I remember it looking through my binocs, from my recent trip. I love the top of IF. But for Vernal/Nevada, July 2011 > late April 2012. Mist Trail wasn't misty at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 03:56PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
May 09, 2012 12:36PM
Wondeful photos, thanks for sharing :-). Anyone have waterfall pictures from 2012?
May 09, 2012 02:00PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Too bad Tioga Road was still closed 2 weeks ago - otherwise I would have taken pics. winking smiley

Here's a close-up of Vernal Fall taken July 4, 2011. The water was really raging and this was a couple of weeks after peak!

Vernal Fall as seen from Glacier Point
May 10, 2012 07:27PM
Last year was a great rainyear, that site is amazing.
May 10, 2012 08:21PM
DanPJ
Last year was a great rainyear, that site is amazing.

With all that water, it took months to find the bodies too.
May 09, 2012 12:52PM
I just got back from 3 days in the valley. Looks like Yosemite Falls is at it's peak right now.Hiked out to the top of Sentinel Dome and it looks like the drainage (Mt Hoffman area) to Yosemite Creek is a little thin on snow. The Merced seemed a bit low for this time of year. Dogwoods seemed to have bloomed early this year.
May 09, 2012 10:42PM
Def. being a stickler here... but I don't think that you can REALLY see the drainage of Yosemite Creek
from Sentinel Dome. Everything you see of Hoffmann (2 n's) area drains to Hoffmann Creek and
Snow Creek. At least I'm fairly sure of that. I don't contend that if there is no snow on Hoffmann
then the other side which drains into Yose Creek will be getting "thin" too.
If you don't care... sorry... but perhaps it is interesting. (it is to me)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 10, 2012 09:57AM
I'm very tall. Chick-on is looking at you!
May 10, 2012 02:55PM
ERICG
I'm very tall. Chick-on is looking at you!

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 18, 2012 04:14PM
I think the waterfalls have peaked.
May 31, 2012 07:41PM
Think the Yosemite falls will be dried up by the last week of June? Ill be there June 25-30. I saw more water on April fools day, then there is today.
June 01, 2012 05:25PM
cantwait2getback
Think the Yosemite falls will be dried up by the last week of June? Ill be there June 25-30. I saw more water on April fools day, then there is today.
I think it is very possible. However, it might last till sometime in July. From the webcam, it looks like it typically does in late July right now, so I guess it is about a month ahead.
June 04, 2012 10:28AM
I wonder what the rain is like in the valley today. Every little bit helps. I hope it works out for ya.
June 04, 2012 02:44PM
No storm this time of the year is going to have any lasting affect on creek/river levels. It's too warm. The Merced River is forecast to rise 1.5 feet by Tuesday (6/5) morning and then return to current levels within 2 days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login