Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Lake Vernon/Rancheria Falls 5/4-5/5

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Lake Vernon/Rancheria Falls 5/4-5/5
May 06, 2012 02:31PM
I took a short trip this weekend to Lake Vernon and Rancheria Falls. I started from the Beehive Meadow trail and hiked to Vernon where I spent the night. Saturday I hiked south to Tiltill Meadow and then Rancheria Falls. I planned on a second night at Rancheria but got there at about 2pm so I just hiked back to the dam. Saw nobody from the rim of the valley to Lake Vernon. There were two other groups camped at Vernon but saw nobody else until Tiltill Meadow. Trails were followable but overgrown in places and lots of downed trees, I would guess from the wind storm back in November. A few snow patches on north facing slopes but mostly snow free.

Here is a link to a few pics (taken via cell phone)

https://picasaweb.google.com/117025886482845091325/VernonMay2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIzCwO_SgImPsQE&feat=directlink

Anyone have a guess as to snow conditions in Jack Main Canyon? It looks to be mostly below 8000 ft.

Chris
avatar Re: Lake Vernon/Rancheria Falls 5/4-5/5
May 06, 2012 02:53PM
Thanks for the trip report.
May 06, 2012 06:14PM
Thanks for the link to the pictures. It really is hard to believe how little snow there is, and how much the water seems to have receded, around Lake Vernon for the first weekend of May. Looks like you had plenty of water coming over Wapama, but it looks like the peak must be hitting around now.
May 06, 2012 08:20PM
ckm554
Anyone have a guess as to snow conditions in Jack Main Canyon? It looks to be mostly below 8000 ft.

Take a look at Jack Main Canyon and Vernon environs last year at the same exact time... if you haven't
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,35489

I'd expect Jack Main to have zero snow in it now judging by what things look like out there.
Maybe some after you get way up past Wilma.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 07, 2012 04:11AM
Thanks for the trip report and the pictures, those are always appreciated. If there is much snow left, it won't be there for long with this weather.
Re: Lake Vernon/Rancheria Falls 5/4-5/5
May 09, 2012 04:30PM
Hi ckm554,

Looking at your post, you did about 20 miles from the Dam to Rancheria Falls? After seeing this post, my group and I are now thinking about this loop. However, we may want to hike 8-10 miles on day 1. Hike 10-12 miles on day 2 and spend the night at Rancheria Falls, then hike out on day 3. Do you have any suggestions on where to camp on night 1 if we hike 8-10 miles on the first day?

Our original plan was to hike into Rancheria Falls Day 1, Day 2 day hike, and Day 3 camp out. The permits are full for May 18, so we'd have to attain a permit early in the morning when we arrive to Hetch Hetchy. Cross fingers that they still have some available. I haven't checked availability for Beehive, but at least according to the permit website, there's still space available.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
May 09, 2012 06:25PM
Chris can add more if he likes, of course. He camped at Vernon on day 1.
That's 10 miles. Day 2 he went over Gibson to Tiltill ... over to Rancheria
and then decided to hike out and go home.
Most will do this in 3-4 days. 2 days is not a stretch but for most it's not do-able.
99.999% camp at these spots:
Beehive
Vernon
Tiltill Valley
Rancheria Falls
Many heading to Vernon get to Beehive and see Laurel Lake on the signs and
decide they've had enough and go there instead.
Do yourself a favor and at least go to Vernon if you have never been.

Have fun

Re: Lake Vernon/Rancheria Falls 5/4-5/5
May 10, 2012 06:55AM
I was up there this same weekend. Had a companion suffering a gimp and cut things short - but we would have made it the 10 miles to Vernon well before dark on the first day, because the group were all veteran hikers with a good 2-3 mph pace even up hills. It is a constant climb up to the ridge right before you descend to Vernon.

Lots of downed trees up there. The less used trails tend to disappear. We will probably go back from the Stanislaus side and cross country out to some of the higher lakes. The only snow we found were small patches around Beehive.
May 10, 2012 07:16AM
That loop is extremely popular. It won't "disappear".
Gibson Mountain section until you get up to the top from Tiltill is notorious for
becoming overgrown. Wife went thru there one year solo and I still
hear about it. I did what Chris did a year later and said "bummer for you...
they just went thru there and cut all the mountain thorn back tongue sticking out smiley "winking smiley
Wear long pants and none of that stuff is an issue.
packenvy said "intermediate" so getting to Vernon and coming back out
is a win.

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login