Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome from Glacier Point - 3D

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Half Dome from Glacier Point - 3D
May 17, 2012 02:33PM
I took 3 sets of images from Taft Point to make stereo pairs but the result was I couldn't get far enough part to get the best stereo effect. My best result is this 3D image of Half Dome from Glacier Point. I took a series of image from the amphitheater to the point itself. This time I had another problem: the extreme difference in distance between the area west of Half Dome and the farthest mountains. Too little separation and there's not enough 3D and too much separation and you can't view the background because of position shifts relative to Half Dome. This image is a compromise. It is possible to view all parts of the image in 3D but it takes a lot of shifting focus to do it. There's also a problem with the Diving Board caused by the sharp cutoff and abrupt change in distance behind it. It looks best on my display if I view from about 24" away. The strange blacked out areas are there to eliminate unviewable parts of the image in the foreground. The spacing between images is greater in the foreground than in the background which results in one of the pair missing at the edges. I have a better idea now of what scenes will work the best and how to do it.

All 3D images are now available here:

http://panoramas.aa6g.org/Anaglyphs/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 05:16PM by Calaveras.
avatar Re: Half Dome from Glacier Point - 3D
May 17, 2012 03:14PM
Cool! The Diving Board really stands out nicely in 3D. Love how the each individual tree near the Diving Board pops out!
May 17, 2012 09:38PM
Fa-reeek-in Awesome!

Next time you up GP road. Perhaps give Illiouette Ridge a go and get a shot of
one of my Favorites... Mt. Starr King.

THANKS!

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 19, 2012 11:55AM
These just keep getting better and better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login