Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: North Peak / Conness Conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

North Peak / Conness Conditions
June 07, 2012 01:44AM
Looking for some beta on the conditions around Saddlebag Lake, especially for North Peak, Mount Conness, and White Mountain. Do the "normal" (easier class 2-3) routes require crampons/axe? Has anyone checked out the couloirs on North Peak and can comment on their conditions?

I'm probably going to check them out regardless, but would love some information to smartly prepare my load...

Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated,
Ben
June 08, 2012 08:46PM
Conness is high enough that carrying crampons would be prudent. Even in late August, just to be on the safe side. Never hurts to be extra-prepared.
avatar Re: North Peak / Conness Conditions
June 08, 2012 10:17PM
If he went via Youngs then no way you need crampons.

But he's going via Saddlebag Rd... so dunno about that. But I doubt it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 18, 2012 12:07PM
I hiked up Conness on Saturday via Alpine Lake and the east ridge. There was no snow until the bowl at about 11,700 below the east ridge. This was easily avoidable by contouring around to the east up a shoulder to gain the ridge. There was also a short stretch of snow right before the short scramble up to the summit plateau.

Looking back down the east ridge from near the summit plateau.

There was some snow remaining on the plateau and another small stretch right before gaining the summit. I felt comfortable with only trekking poles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 02:29PM by edg.
June 18, 2012 12:28PM
edg, do you have any photos of what you'd consider the hairiest parts (not counting snow) from the summit plateau up to the summit? I was thinking of going up Conness this summer (from Young Lakes though).
June 18, 2012 02:13PM
This is the only photo I have of the ridge connecting the summit with the plateau. I'll see if my buddy took any photos along the ridge.

It's not as bad as it looks; all class 1/2. There are only two places that felt 'airy' to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 02:30PM by edg.
June 18, 2012 03:58PM
Thanks, edg. Looks like a spectacular trip.
June 22, 2012 11:48PM
Here's what I would consider the hairiest part:

June 23, 2012 10:58AM
edg
Here's what I would consider the hairiest part:

Thanks, edg. Is that only a small section where one would should use hands making the climb, or is it like that for a while? Hard to believe there was once an official trail (I think I saw it on one of chick-on's maps from the 1930s).
June 25, 2012 03:49PM
It's similar in style to that photo from the plateau up to the summit, though not with the same amount of exposure. Hands aren't really necessary to climb most of it, just for extra balance and support around the exposed areas. I would call it class 2.

I had no idea there was once a maintained trail up Conness; very cool!
June 25, 2012 11:00PM
The second photo way above is incredible.

Here's a link to the map:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,45865,46197#msg-46197

(it's not "my" map per sey... i just "aquired" it)

And here's a photo of the last section area with Old Dude in it for scale:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,45865,45872#msg-45872

June 26, 2012 07:36AM
chick-on
i just "aquired"

Has acquired ever been used in a positive way? In my experience, which granted is quite limited, its usually used by thieves who say:
"i acquired it"
"oh ya, how so?"
"well it fell of the back of a truck..."

Its really on par with someone saying:
"whats new?"
"well I acquired herpes"

Anyways, seriously, those old maps are cool. Thank you for sharing them with us!
June 26, 2012 07:44AM
If people only knew... they would be laughing as much as I am.
wink

I spelled it wrong and put it in quotes... for a reason... wink

Seriously though... all of the maps are public domain or readily available.
If anyone who "owns" them gives me a hard time... I'll just say "give me two seconds and
I will delete them all as your wish".
tongue sticking out smiley

June 18, 2012 12:47PM
Very cool. Did you also head over to North Peak? I hear looking down towards the east, the drop-off, is incredible.
June 18, 2012 02:09PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Very cool. Did you also head over to North Peak? I hear looking down towards the east, the drop-off, is incredible.

Nope, Conness's north ridge down to the saddle with North Peak is a bit more exposed and technical than what I'm ready to climb at this point. Judging by the register though, it is a very popular traverse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 02:14PM by edg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login