Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: How tough is a single FCFS permit to Young Lakes on a Wed or Thursday in mid-August?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

How tough is it to get a single FCFS permit to Young Lakes on a Wed or Thurs in mid August? Let's say I have those two days to try, though the Wednesday I might not make the 11AM opening due to coming in from Lyell Canyon (the permit office won't let me cross Tioga Pass Road on my permit, though surprisingly it was no problem whatsoever when I previously booked another permit going the opposite direction). Is Young's hard enough to get that I might as well not even bother that first day if I'm after 11:00AM? What time is reasonable to be lined up the second day to make it likely I get the Young's permit then? Same question for May Lake (my first preference is Youngs->GlenAulin->May, but the other direction would be ok too). This would be a permit for one person.

For those of you who read my previous thread, the permit I switched to is Mono->Ritter->LyellCanyon since I couldn't wait until the end of August where the permit I had was set (this also makes transportation MUCH easier for me).
In my experience, Young Lakes is one of the easiest wilderness permit to get in the Tuolumne region (along with Mono/Parker passes). If you do not mind how you get there, remember that there are two trails (each with their own quotas) that you can take to get to Young Lakes (through Dog Lake or "Glen Aulin"winking smiley. Is there a reason you want to get a first-come-first-serve permit? I think you would easily be able to get a permit reserved, even if it is only a few days in advance... May Lake permits should be more difficult (although still not as difficult as the more popular Cathedral and Lyell Canyon), mainly because of the high sierra camp.

The 11am time applies if you want to get a FCFS permit for the next day. For example, it is Wednesday and you want to get a permit for Thursday. If you want a permit for the same day, you can actually show up when the wilderness office opens (8am or 7:30am). Evidently, the second option (getting a permit for the same day) is more difficult since people have had the opportunity to get permits the day before.
webenji
In my experience, Young Lakes is one of the easiest wilderness permit to get in the Tuolumne region (along with Mono/Parker passes). If you do not mind how you get there, remember that there are two trails (each with their own quotas) that you can take to get to Young Lakes (through Dog Lake or "Glen Aulin"winking smiley. Is there a reason you want to get a first-come-first-serve permit? I think you would easily be able to get a permit reserved, even if it is only a few days in advance... May Lake permits should be more difficult (although still not as difficult as the more popular Cathedral and Lyell Canyon), mainly because of the high sierra camp.

The 11am time applies if you want to get a FCFS permit for the next day. For example, it is Wednesday and you want to get a permit for Thursday. If you want a permit for the same day, you can actually show up when the wilderness office opens (8am or 7:30am). Evidently, the second option (getting a permit for the same day) is more difficult since people have had the opportunity to get permits the day before.

The main reason to get FCFS is that the reserved permits are all booked for the day/day after I get into TM from Lyell Canyon, and to get a reserved permit I would need to cut a day from my time in the Ritter area where I'll be coming from. I figured it wasn't the most in demand since it doesn't go directly to a HSC and can't be used to get to Half Dome or Clouds Rest, but is it still something reasonable to get for the next day if one shows up to the permit office at 1 or 2PM? Or should I just expect to stay in the BP camp that night, get to the permit office early the next day, and then get it for the day after (staying in the BP camp again another night).
Which exact dates are you looking for?

According to the Yosemite's Trailheads Quota website, there's still a reservable permit available for Young Lakes via Dog Lake for August 16, as well as August 8 and August 22 & 23.

For Young Lakes via Glen Aulin, there are reservable permits still available for August 8 & 9 and August 22 & 23.

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/original/rptFullTrailheadDatesPage5.htm
plawrence
Which exact dates are you looking for?

According to the Yosemite's Trailheads Quota website, there's still a reservable permit available for Young Lakes via Dog Lake for August 16, as well as August 8 and August 22 & 23.

For Young Lakes via Glen Aulin, there are reservable permits still available for August 8 & 9 and August 22 & 23.

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/original/rptFullTrailheadDatesPage5.htm

Thanks; I just booked the 16th via Dog Lake as soon as I saw your response. I wonder if someone canceled in the last couple of days, as I could swear the 16th wasn't available 2 days ago (I remember only seeing the 14th for Youngs->Glen Aulin Trail and nothing workable via Dog Lake -- had to be 14,15,16). I don't know how I missed seeing that opening, though that's what it most likely was I'm sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 05:05PM by mbear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login