Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Which Route To Sunrise HSC?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Which Route To Sunrise HSC?
July 12, 2012 11:45AM
I got lucky and got a spot at the Sunrise HSC on Monday. I had planned on taking the route from Tenaya but the woman at the High Sierra Camp desk said that was the harder route. She advised taking the trail from Cathedral Lakes.

Which trail has the better views?

How deep is the creek crossing at the Tenaya Lake outlet these dry days?

I've been as far as Cathedral Lakes, but I would like to see the view from Cathedral Pass and walk Long Meadow.
avatar Re: Which Route To Sunrise HSC?
July 12, 2012 12:07PM
Definitely take the trail from Cathedral for the better scenery. The Sunrise trailhead from Tenaya Lake is mostly just going up 1000 feet of steep shaded switchbacks, though there are some nice views to Mount Hoffmann and Tuolumne Peak if you look back towards the north every once in a while. Still, nothing that will compete with starting from the Cathedral Lakes trailhead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 12:11PM by mbear.
July 12, 2012 12:13PM
And you might be able to dig for water at the outlet. Seriously, you won't be getting wet.
July 12, 2012 12:30PM
Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to see wildflowers. I hope the drought hasn't withered them.
July 12, 2012 06:59PM
If its similar to what I saw going to Jack Main Canyon, wildflowers are still around but the season isn't that great. Seasonal vegetation was still green above 6K feet.
July 13, 2012 09:13AM
There is almost no water at the Tenaya crossing, I just did Clouds Rest on Wednesday. You can just walk over rocks and not even get your feet wet.

I personally think you should go up the Tenaya route way and after your stay is completed, return the Cathedral Lakes way. This way you get to experience both routes. I would NOT descend the Tenaya way, that's hell because it's rocky and steep terrain. The descent via Cathedral Lakes is a joy with great views as you stand above upper Cathedral Lke.
July 13, 2012 09:15AM
Just to follow up, if you choose the route described above, you can easily get on the Yosemite shuttle and they'll take you back to Tenaya trailhead in a matter of minutes.
July 13, 2012 10:19AM
Thanks for the advice. I am not crazy about those cobblestone switchbacks having done the ones between Vogelsang and Merced Lake last year. I will post a trip report when I return. In addition to Sunrise, I am also going to Glen Aulin and May Lake next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2012 10:20AM by Mom.
July 13, 2012 12:04PM
Mom
Thanks for the advice. I am not crazy about those cobblestone switchbacks having done the ones between Vogelsang and Merced Lake last year. I will post a trip report when I return. In addition to Sunrise, I am also going to Glen Aulin and May Lake next week.

I'll be looking forward to the report, since I'll be doing Glen Aulin->May Lake next month!
July 13, 2012 11:16PM
I think the cobblestone switchbacks between Vogel and Merced are the worst on the HSC loop. Do not recall anything close to that elsewhere.
July 13, 2012 01:09PM
I'm doing the other part of your hike...I'm leading a group of 3 dads and their daughters on a trip to Sunrise and to Clouds Rest at the end of the month. I was considering the same loop...Up from Tenaya Lake and down to the Cathedral Trailhead.

I can't wait to hear about your trip. Have a great time!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
July 15, 2012 07:57AM
I personally would recommend entering via the Sunrise trail from Tenaya Lake and exiting via Cathedral as a couple others have suggested. Yes, the switchback is a bit of a grind but much shorter than many other switchbacks in Yosemite. I also do not recall any significant cobblestone effect, nothing like the Lewis Creek and Fletcher Creek trails out of Merced Lake. It's only about 5.5 miles to Sunrise HSC so take your time and enjoy the scenery. The two main features not to miss on this route are the views down Tenaya Canyon (turn right at the top of the switchback and go up the slight rise) plus the 3 Sunrise Lakes which are very picturesque, especially the 1st one. It's also at minimum one mile shorter than the Cathedral route. When exiting via Cathedral don't miss the side trail to Lower Cathedral Lake. There's also an unofficial trail that circumvents the lake which I strongly recommend if you would like photos of Cathedral Peak, Echo Peaks, and others with the lake in the forground.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 08:01AM by tomdisco.
July 15, 2012 08:39AM
Agree with the above. I will have to checkout the trail around the lake also.
July 17, 2012 08:10PM
Yes that trail around the lake is pretty nice. Lower lake definitely better than upper. And on the west end you get a great view of Hoffman, Tuolumne peak, and Tenaya lake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 08:12PM by cantwait2getback.
July 21, 2012 07:08PM
Just got back from a week in Yosemite.

I ended up hiking up from the Cathedral Lakes trailhead and down by way of the Sunrise Lakes and Tenaya. I prefer doing steep switchbacks going down. The weather was perfect that day. No mosquitos at all. There were lovely stands of tall lupine in the meadows near Cathedral Pass, but the meadow at Sunrise had few wildflowers. It was cold at the High Sierra Camp that night (Monday), with a rather icy wind keep it chilly.

I loved the Sunrise Lakes. There were leopard lilies near the water. I saw a grouse and her babies near the High Sierra Camp. All in all a great hike.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login