Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)


Advanced

Better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass?
July 14, 2012 12:08AM
Which do you guys think is a better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass: Parker Peak and Mount Wood, or Koip Peak and Kuna Peak? Parker and Wood seem like they'd have better views of Mono Lake, but the B-24 wreckage in the saddle between Koip and Kuna sounds pretty interesting too. I can't imagine I'd want to do both sidetrips after coming up to Koip Peak Pass from Parker Pass with a pack on my back (I'd stash it at the pass and then come back and get it when heading down to Alger Lakes later). Where do you guys consider the views to be best?
Re: Better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass?
July 15, 2012 11:42PM
I would go with the Koip Peak option as a side trip. I have done both Parker and Koip peaks and have found the views to be very similar on each peak. You will get a nice view of Mono Lake from Koip, although the one from Parker is, as you suggested, better (you will se 90-95% of Mono Lake from Koip, with the remaining 10-5% being obstructed by Mount Lewis). The view of Alger lakes is better from Koip, however. Considering the views are just about the same, I would go for the higher of the two, with Koip. If it matters, I found Koip easier to climb since it has/had less loose rocks than Parker. I did not do the Koip to Kuna traverse, but that looked harder, although things tend to look harder from far away than they actually are up close.
avatar Re: Better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass?
July 16, 2012 01:09AM
I guess the view of the glacier on the north face below the Koip/Kuna saddle would be another thing in favor of Koip. Thanks for the input on the rock quality. Looking at a few pics from the pass I just assumed Parker was the easier of the two since in looks less steep.
Re: Better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass?
July 16, 2012 03:32PM
I was also surprised to find that Parker was (or at least seemed to be) harder than Koip, especially since I climbed it before heading over to Koip (i.e., I should have been more tired for Koip). On paper and looking at it, Koip looks harder and more impressive, but I did not really enjoy the loose stuff on the Parker slopes (Koip also has some, but less IMO). Everything is relative so perhaps someone will disagree with my evaluation of the two peaks.

Anyway, enjoy it! This is one of my favorite area of Yosemite and I am always surprised at the low foot traffic and lack of popularity with respect to the other trails...
avatar Re: Better side-trip from Koip Peak Pass?
July 16, 2012 05:58PM
Quote
webenji
This is one of my favorite area of Yosemite and I am always surprised at the low foot traffic and lack of popularity with respect to the other trails...

I'd imagine a 12,300 foot pass scares a lot of people off when Donahue is 11000. I know I'm going to be tempted to do a 5:00AM start with a headlamp on the day I go up it with a pack. That climb looks pretty brutal with a pack, a full bearcan, and a grip of water on your back if you're doing it in the hours between 9:00AM - 2:00 PM.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login