Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Chances on getting cloud rest permit day of hike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Chances on getting cloud rest permit day of hike
July 19, 2012 09:55PM
Im trying to get an overnight permit for Clouds Rest on July 27, next Friday. Is there any way there will be any permits left the day of my hike? I am aware they are up for grabs the day before your hike around 11am, but that might not be an option.
avatar Re: Chances on getting cloud rest permit day of hike
July 20, 2012 06:28AM
I think the most common way would the Sunrise trailhead (really starting at the end of Tenaya Lake). I see 8 FCFS permits per day. The info on the Yosemite wilderness page says it's about 7 miles to Clouds Rest. It might even be doable via the Cathedral Lakes trailhead (the family I met at the Clouds Rest/John Muir trailhead said they got there in one day. There are 10 FCFS, although I'm thinking that's a popular starting point.

Other than that, maybe the Happy Isles pass through, although there's only 4.

I think you'd have a good shot. If you can't do it, you're still in Yosemite. It's very much doable as a day hike.
July 20, 2012 08:44AM
it's been my experience that you need to be one of the first 5, or so, people in line to @ 11am to secure those FCFS permits. Cathedral Lakes and Sunrise/Clouds Rest go really fast in the prime summer season. It never hurts to try...you never know. You can try calling the permit office after noon or so on Thursday to see what might be left. Some times they will be helpful, sometimes...not so much.

On a side note...I may see you on the trail. I'm going with my brother and our 10 & 12 year old daughters on our annual backpacking trip, this year up to Cloud's Rest. Staying at Sunrise Lakes on Saturday and somewhere closer to the CR summit on Sunday. Be sure to say Hi if you see us!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
July 20, 2012 09:45AM
Cantwait, I just wanted to make sure you want to do Clouds Rest as an overnighter? Because as someone else said, it's very easy as a day hike. There's only 2,000 elevation gain.

The vast majority of people do this out of Sunrise, this would be a 13 mile hike. It's far longer and much more elevation gain if you do it out of Happy Isles. Great views from th top, however. IMO, the best view of the park, far better than Half Dome.
July 21, 2012 03:18PM
Ulysses61
Cantwait, I just wanted to make sure you want to do Clouds Rest as an overnighter? Because as someone else said, it's very easy as a day hike. There's only 2,000 elevation gain.

The vast majority of people do this out of Sunrise, this would be a 13 mile hike. It's far longer and much more elevation gain if you do it out of Happy Isles. Great views from th top, however. IMO, the best view of the park, far better than Half Dome.

Schaffer's book has it as a gaining 2500 feet factoring in some of the up and down, but yeah, it's very doable as a dayhike. I don't think I'd call it easy, though by far the hardest part is that 1000 feet of switchbacks about 2.5 miles in; the trail is dramatically easier after that, so an early start makes it an enjoyable hike rather than a slog.
July 21, 2012 07:42PM
mbear

Schaffer's book has it as a gaining 2500 feet factoring in some of the up and down, but yeah, it's very doable as a dayhike. I don't think I'd call it easy, though by far the hardest part is that 1000 feet of switchbacks about 2.5 miles in; the trail is dramatically easier after that, so an early start makes it an enjoyable hike rather than a slog.

The distance coming out is nearly twice the miles going in.

Old Dude
July 21, 2012 08:58PM
mrcondron
The distance coming out is nearly twice the miles going in.

That sounds about right.
July 20, 2012 05:32PM
I forgot to mention we would be leaving from Tenaya. The main reason for the overnighter, my friend is a photographer, and he wants the sunrise/sunset pictures that "most people don't get because they do it in a day hike." Those were his exact words. I know he is capable of doing the hikes in a day, but he wants those shots. We will be occupied the morning of the intended hike, and the following evening, so we will not be......misusing any time. I say misusing because id rather hike all of 2 days, rather than 2 half days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2012 05:35PM by cantwait2getback.
July 21, 2012 01:02PM
For sunrise shots, one can still do it as a dayhike (without a permit) as long as one doesn't mind hiking the trail at night. wink

That could be your group's backup plan if you fail to secure the necessary overnight wilderness permit.
July 25, 2012 05:24PM
Again my friend really wanted sunrise and sunset photos from CR. I am pretty sure ive talked him into day hiking it. Another question...What trails generally have permits available the morning of the hike in tuolumne meadows between north dome and tioga pass? I would be there at 7am...Do lines form before the wilderness center opens? I should also mention the hike has been postponed until next week...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 05:39PM by cantwait2getback.
July 26, 2012 09:20AM
Morning of the hike permits are tough to get because they are mostly given away the day before. If I were you, I would get in line early and have a list of trail heads ready to go. It's hard to say which will be available, as they are all popular.

Porcupine Creek might be a good one. Easy access to North Dome and Upper Yosemite Falls from there. This is probably an easier permit to get than others. Starting at Olmstead Point also might be a good choice. It's not as popular as the others but gives you access to the snow creek trail and the north rim trail. Lots to see and do on this trail. Also some great photo ops.

I'm sure there are other options. Keep looking!

Sorry I won't see you on the trail. I leave tomorrow....hard to contain my excitement.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
July 26, 2012 08:39PM
Thank you all. I think we are leaning toward Porcupine, Young lakes, or May lake. Probably going to knock Clouds rest out on the first or last day. I was going to wear my very recognizable Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon shirt, and inform you ahead of time, so maybe we could bump in to each other. Oh well next time.
July 31, 2012 09:58AM
Our trip went great. The weather for three days was magnificent. 80's during the day, high 40's to 50's during the night, and only a rare mosquito sighting.

We made the summit of Clouds Rest on Sunday Morning about 11am and there was only a very slight breeze. We lingered there for over two hours before it got crowded with the day hikers.

The highlights of the trip: Of course, the summit of Clouds Rest. But also, swimming in the warm waters of Sunrise Lake #1, the view from our campsite near the overlook at the Sunrise HSC trail junction (at the top of the steep switchback section), and the varied wildlife we saw on the way. We saw a bear run in front of our car on Tioga Pass (better to view here than on the trail), two different families of grouse, deer, a beautiful ribbon snake chasing after tadpoles and frogs, and of course, cute chipmunks everywhere you turn.

I'll post some pictures and a Trip Report soon. It was worth every step!

August 01, 2012 06:30AM
Jayabrams, where was your campsite? We'll be in that same area in 2 weeks and would like a good camp site recommmendation. We'll be hiking
from Cathedral to Cloud's Rest then on to Merced HSC.

Randy
August 01, 2012 10:46AM
It will be really easy to find. It's a great spot if it works with your schedule.

Coming from Cathedral, you will pass through the Sunrise HSC (the trail winds through the BP'ers campground) and over Sunrise Mountain past the three lakes. Once you reach the junction with the Clouds Rest Trail, continue straight (North-ish) on a use trail that leads to the hilltop. Then go find the best view you can. You can't miss it!

Here's was our site:

We met a really cute ranger who had spent the afternoon breaking up fire rings here. She left two good ones, one of which is right over a rock outcropping from the site in a nice windless spot.

The sunset from here was unbelievable!

Have a great trip. I hope this is helpful!

August 02, 2012 08:55AM
Dang, that's a beautiful site. We hope to pass there about noon so maybe the site will be open. Right or left side of the trail heading up to CR?

Randy
August 02, 2012 09:06AM
Right, or north-ish, towards Tenaya Canyon, opposite the direction of the Sunrise Lakes trail. There's no water here, so either haul some up from one of the creeks you'll cross before you get here, or head out to the first Sunrise Lake (which is worth it anyway...)

One warning: this spot is (or used to be) a regular lunch stop for those who are riding between the High Sierra Camps, so if you are there around lunchtime, you may have some visitors.
August 02, 2012 09:30AM
Apologies for newbie-ness.... what's "use trail"? I assume it's a non-hiking trail that folks have used enought to get off trail so that it is visible and obvious? Also, if I have the right location, then i think we want to be closer to CR so the trip to Merced the following day is shorter. We're think a bit below CR summit nearer the trail junction heading south toward Merced.

Randy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 09:34AM by BigR.
August 02, 2012 10:28AM
BigR
Apologies for newbie-ness.... what's "use trail"?

It's a trail created by people using it rather than one that is constructed.
August 02, 2012 11:08AM
Basilbop is exactly right about the mule trains parking near here. We saw them leaving that area as we were arriving on the first day. Not a big deal for us though, we were never there at the same time and there was no evidence (mule poo) of them near where our site was.

The use trail will be obvious, thanks to the mules. You will have no problem finding your way

The trail junction leading toward Merced Lake is about 2.3 miles or so from the summit of CR and is about the same distance from the campsite we have been discussing. If you camp at the overlook, I would recommend that you carry your packs to the Meced Lake junction and then stash them for the hike to the summit. You could then return and head toward Merced to find your next campsite. I have not done that section of trail, but I'll bet others on here will have some suggestions for camp site possibilities and water sources.

Good Luck! Let me know if you need any other info. I love being able to help!

Here is my favorite photo from the trip!

That's my daughter and I at the back of the line heading down from the summit. Damn, I just go goosebumps again!

August 02, 2012 11:46AM
What a glorious picture. Congrats to you for make lifetime memories for/with your daughter.

We're going a slightly different route to Merced. Rather than backtrack from CR thru Sunrise HSC to the HSC route to Merced, we going to take the trail (un-named) that spurs east just about a .7 mile north of the CR summit, heads south, crosses the JMT, then rejoins the HCS Merced route near Echo Valley.

Randy

Acme mapper Route
August 02, 2012 10:48AM
Yes, camping here would make for a longer second day, but it really depends on your pace--some of us consider Tenaya Lake to Happy Isles a decent day hike, after all :-) There is good--but dry--camping around the saddle north of Clouds Rest, and a very nice spot at 9000' (possibly also dry) a mile or so south of the summit. There's also the summit itself, which has enough flat areas to pitch a tent or two.

The second picture here has the campsite at 9000':
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,53841
August 05, 2012 09:15AM
Boy I must have gotten lucky. Arrived at the TM wilderness center Friday morning at 630 am. There were cancellations for Sunrise TH so we got a permit the day of our hike! We overnight near the top of Clouds Rest, and my buddy got his sunrise and sunset photos, and boy was it worth it. Saw some grouse, and a HUGE 10 point male buck no more than 10 feet in front of us stuffing his face. We also witnessed a helicopter rescue on half dome. It appeared they were rescuing a rock climber, who was rock climbing the face of Half dome. Ill post a couple pics later.
August 15, 2012 09:24PM
The first couple are from by buddys new D800, then the last are mine. Pretty amazing sunset and sunrise shots

August 16, 2012 06:58AM
Nice! Those clouds sure help w/ sunrise/sunset shots.
August 16, 2012 08:24AM
I'm really happy everything worked out so well! Those are some great photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login