Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Best hikes around TM

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best hikes around TM
August 05, 2012 04:58PM
What are the best easy hikes around TM? We are first-timers. Thanks!!!
August 05, 2012 06:16PM
Pothole Dome trail to Toulumne River. Once at the River head and walk along the banks of the river. It's not really a long hike but the hike is scenic. Hang out and go for a swim.
August 07, 2012 02:51PM
Pothole should definitely not be overlooked. But what about this Puppy Dome? IIRC, pretty close to the campground.
August 05, 2012 08:57PM
I'd add Gaylor Lakes to this list, and Cathedral Lakes and pass.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 05, 2012 09:07PM
The trail from Chantry Flats to Sturtevant Falls has been a popular hike for those wanting to escape the urban sprawl of Los Angeles since the early 1900's. This is an easy hike and perfect for anyone new to hiking but be aware that the last 0.6 mile return to the parking lot is all uphill. From the Santa Anita exit of the 210 Freeway it's a 5 mile.

West Fork Trail-the most popular trail on the Coconino National Forest
August 06, 2012 08:11AM
redfox1939
The trail from Chantry Flats to Sturtevant Falls has been a popular hike for those wanting to escape the urban sprawl of Los Angeles since the early 1900's. This is an easy hike and perfect for anyone new to hiking but be aware that the last 0.6 mile return to the parking lot is all uphill. From the Santa Anita exit of the 210 Freeway it's a 5 mile.

Okay, I've done that hike a few times but I've never considered it to be anywhere near Tuolumne Meadows.
August 06, 2012 08:59AM
Don't forget the loop around Lembert Dome and to Dog Lake.
August 07, 2012 03:43PM
roger that
September 23, 2012 07:12PM
eeek
redfox1939

Okay, I've done that hike a few times but I've never considered it to be anywhere near Tuolumne Meadows.
That post is obvious spam!
August 07, 2012 04:04PM
The ruins of Bennetville, just outside the park boundary.
August 07, 2012 06:48PM
calipidder
I would agree as this is a nice hike with very little traffic and nice views of Mt Dana.smileys with beer
August 21, 2012 08:16AM
calipidder

Don't stop at Bennetville! Carry on up Mines Creek as far as you like - it's lovely country up there, great views of Dana, etc.
August 07, 2012 04:39PM
yosemitehikes.com is a handy reference:
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hikes.htm
August 07, 2012 05:27PM
A short walk up the front of Lembert Dome has a great view. Cathedral Lakes is always great, but may be considered more of a moderate hike at 7 or 8 miles round trip. Elizabeth Lake is fairly short and nice. May Lake is very short and has great views.
August 19, 2012 12:28AM
phantum

yosemitehikes.com is a handy reference:
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hikes.htm

I have to question some of it's "Scenery Factor" ratings of the hikes on that website.

The Pothole Dome/Tuolumne River hike rated only three stars?

The Pohono Trail is rated four stars but the Sentinel Dome hike only rated three stars?

Lyell Canyon only a measly two stars?

Huh???
August 08, 2012 05:21PM
Cathedral lakes for sure, then maybe Lyell canyon, not to much gain for first half. Check out huge glacier...have you ever seen a glacier?
August 12, 2012 11:03AM
Its also a short hike on the trail to the top of Lembert and Dog Domes, its a bit of a climb but is short...here's some pics:

The Bennettville suggestion is good - higher altitude but pretty flat, short hike, ruins at the end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login