Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Chilnualna Falls to Lake Ostrander

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Chilnualna Falls to Lake Ostrander
August 31, 2012 08:59PM
Hello everyone. I have been hiking the Chilnualna falls loop for the last few years and love it. This year I am looking about spening an extra day in the backcountry and would like to make it to Lake Ostrander. My thoughts are to go to Buene Vista lake and then hike towards Hart lake. From there hike cross country to Lake Ostrander. Looking at the map it seems doable and I am very comfortable with my map and compass skills. I am just wondering if anyone out there has done this before. I am wondering if it is better to go through Hart Lake or continue north to Edison Lake and then traverse south and over to Lake Ostrander. Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions are welcomed. I am planning on doing this at the end of Sept. Thanks!!!!
August 31, 2012 09:58PM
I've hiked from Ostrander Lake to Buena Vista Lake via Hart Lakes in the reverse direction you're considering. It's easy cross country hiking. You don't need to go as far north as Edson unless you want to. To do the reverse of my route, you'll want to leave the trail north from Buena Vista around here and then continue to Hart Lakes. When I hiked from Ostrander to Hart, I traversed around to here before turning south to Hart.
avatar Re: Chilnualna Falls to Lake Ostrander
September 03, 2012 05:47PM
Hart to Ostrander has a ski trail... it is not difficult. Horse Ridge cliffs are to the south
if you get discombobulated then you should be able to right yourself using that
feature.

Getting to Hart you have options. Or you can skip Hart. If the original poster is still around can say more.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 06, 2012 07:16PM
Thanks for the replies! It seems like I am always doing things backwards; going from hart to Ostrander. Glad to hear that other hikers have had the same idea. I think I will give it a shot. thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login