Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Seriously? If I'd have known... I would have left you a Twinkie

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Seriously? If I'd have known... I would have left you a Twinkie
September 24, 2012 07:18AM

Not having much luck with Electronic Gadgetry this year.

Went on dayhike and got back to where left a bunch of my stuff... and bear zigged off.
Stole one of my garbage bags with stuff in it... never did find ground cloth, Neo Air, and
thermal long johnie bottoms.

If you see a bear on a Neo Air Mattress with a "T" on it... tell the jerk it's mine.

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 07:18AM by chick-on.
September 24, 2012 09:22AM
Forget buying gadgets with a touch screen. Get a chew screen instead...
September 24, 2012 09:28AM
Ouch ! I assume there was no food in the bag but the bear thought there might be due to the type of bag....?
avatar Re: Seriously? If I'd have known... I would have left you a Twinkie
September 24, 2012 05:33PM
The Other Tom
Ouch ! I assume there was no food in the bag but the bear thought there might be due to the type of bag....?
I can continue to say that I have never lost any food to a bear.
Unfortunately I can no longer say I have never lost anything to a bear.
The bag in question was your basic black garbage bag. I do not think it was scented.
I had one trash can liner which was white which stunk to high heaven. (the wife says it's
Lilac and most animals don't care for lilac) ... The black trash can perhaps smelled or
looked like a hostess cupcake.
The bear also went and actually took the small video player picture out of the case
in order to make sure it wasn't food. (I don't think they learn though)

Lesson learned... next time I'll just leave my stuff strewn around and if I think it MAY rain I'll
place a ground cloth over the stuff... so the tupid bears will maybe only take 1 item.
smiling smiley

September 24, 2012 05:54PM
chick-on
The Other Tom

I can continue to say that I have never lost any food to a bear.
Unfortunately I can no longer say I have never lost anything to a bear.
The bag in question was your basic black garbage bag. I do not think it was scented.

Bears don't go just by scent but also by sight. (Hence, the warning not to leave grocery bags or even empty coolers inside a car because bears associate those items – visually – as food harboring items).

Since the Park Service uses black garbage bags in their trash cans, I wouldn't be surprised if many Yosemite bears associate black trash bags – by sight – as items that have a high probability of containing food inside.

It's a big bummer that you lost a lot of non-food items to a bear looking for food.

September 24, 2012 06:36PM
chick-on
The black trash can perhaps smelled orlooked like a hostess cupcake.

And had the same nutritional value?
September 24, 2012 09:48PM
I'm pretty Glad when I have cupcakes. Is that close enough? tongue sticking out smiley

September 24, 2012 02:12PM
Ouch! Was that an Archos Android tablet or MP3 player?

In either case, it appears that Mama bear really didn't appreciate you taking that video of her and her cubs. wink

Lucky for you, you didn't leave your camera behind.

September 24, 2012 05:35PM
Android Tablet. Pretty bummed. Should have put it in the dry bag with my camera when went hiking/swimming...

Sigh

September 24, 2012 05:46PM
Dang! Sorry for your loss.

Maybe next time you could put it inside your bear canister. It should be small enough to fit.

September 24, 2012 10:03PM
We were on our inaugural camping trip in our new 5th wheel 3 years ago next month in Camp 14...oops, I mean Lower Pines. Sorry, I revert to my youth at times...that was when the Fire Fall meant bed time no, stop, enough!

Anyway, the night before leaving I took out the cardboard box with the brand new plastic sewer hose in it and set it on the bear box (which did NOT contain any food) as a reminder for me to attach all the fittings before going to the dump station the next morning.

When I went out in the morning there was a flurry of discussion from various neighbors about the bear in the campground the night before that snatched a bag of marshmallows (not Twinkies) right off the table while they were roasting them (~11pm). Rookies I thought as I went back to my morning chores...only to find that that rascal bear (or a cohort) had bit into my un-opened sewer line box. I had enough duct tape to be able to use the hose that day, but it cost me ~$40 to get a new one. bear trap

I tore off the piece of the box with the teeth marks in it and share it with fellow campers when the subject comes up. Come by next week while we're in Upper Pines and I'll show you! smiling smiley

Steve
September 25, 2012 02:24AM
chick-on

Went on dayhike and got back to where left a bunch of my stuff... and bear zigged off.
Stole one of my garbage bags with stuff in it... never did find ground cloth, Neo Air, and

If you see a bear on a Neo Air Mattress with a "T" on it... tell the jerk it's mine.

What a rough week it's been for you.

Not only did a bear destroy and robbed you of your gear, but a pair of zebras on Monday night robbed your team of a needed victory. crying

You're not getting any breaks this week.

September 25, 2012 08:06AM
Most ridiculous thing I've seen. NFL should really fix it. But they won't.

September 25, 2012 10:23AM
Don't go hiking with one of those cheese head hats. I heard that the bears can mistake them for real cheese.
September 25, 2012 07:36PM
chick-on

The only way the NFL will change is if people stop watching. If they had any morals, Vick wouldn't have gotten his job back.
September 25, 2012 08:02PM
eeek
chick-on

The only way the NFL will change is if people stop watching. If they had any morals, Vick wouldn't have gotten his job back.

Why would one think that in a sport that players actively try to beat the crap out of each other, that players or teams or the league would have any type of morals, especially in regards to animal welfare?

What a lot of people missed during the beginning of Vick's dog fighting scandal is that many of his fellow players reactions were a sort of a muted, “What's so wrong about what Michael Vick did?” I believe that a lot of NFL players were surprised by the amount of public outrage directed toward Vick. There were probably a lot more NFL players involved with dog fighting that just Vick and his cronies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 08:49PM by plawrence.
September 29, 2012 02:57PM
plawrence
would one think that in a sport that players actively try to beat the crap out of each other, that players or teams or the league would have any type of morals, especially in regards to animal welfare?

Never said I expected them to act in a decent way.
September 30, 2012 04:38AM
eeek
chick-on

If they had any morals, Vick wouldn't have gotten his job back.

Sorry about the loss Chick-on, if you're looking to replace the neo air, I highly recommend the exped UL7.

And I'm curious how having morals would prevent Vick from playing in the NFL? He went to prison and served his penance to society, is he now not allowed to earn a living?
September 30, 2012 05:55PM
oakroscoe
And I'm curious how having morals would prevent Vick from playing in the NFL? He went to prison and served his penance to society, is he now not allowed to earn a living?

Most companies wouldn't touch someone with a prison record. Why should Vick be special?
September 30, 2012 09:30PM
Because when it comes to playing pro football, Michael Vick IS special!

If he was just an ordinary, run-of-a-mill NFL QB, then he might not be in the league anymore.

Same thing goes in other fields. If one has a very special and valuable skill set for their chosen profession, many companies would still hire that person despite their past criminal record. Especially if it's only one conviction and the crime isn't directly connected to the company's line of business.

October 01, 2012 03:37PM
Because Vick does things on the field 99% of other QBs can't do. That performance against the Redskins on MNF last year was amazing. So yeah, he definitely is special. And lets be honest, its pro sports, those guys aren't role models. If he can throw for 300 yards a game and 4 touchdowns the average fan doesnt care what he does off the field.
October 05, 2012 11:38AM
oakroscoe

Where do you draw the line when someone demonstrates they are morally depraved? Would you say the same if the conviction had been for child molestation (I had to set the bar high here - we already know that sexual assault on adults by sports heroes is acceptable)?

As to the "they're not role models" - baloney! The message from pro sports and the "entertainment industry" to more impressionable people (children/teenagers) is pretty clear - no matter what you do, if you are "talented" enough, you will get showered with adulation and money.
October 05, 2012 04:22PM
Royalist
oakroscoe

Where do you draw the line when someone demonstrates they are morally depraved? Would you say the same if the conviction had been for child molestation (I had to set the bar high here - we already know that sexual assault on adults by sports heroes is acceptable)?

While cruelty to pets and others animals is despicable, I don't equate it to the same status as cruelty or violence directed toward human beings, especially children. Not even close.

It saddened me greatly a number of years back when far more people donated – and far more money was raised – for a reward to catch the creep that threw a dog out of another person's car in a fit of road rage versus a reward to apprehend a kidnapper of a missing child. A real sad commentary about the values of our present society.

October 05, 2012 04:47PM
plawrence
Royalist
oakroscoe

While cruelty to pets and others animals is despicable, I don't equate it to the same status as cruelty or violence directed toward human beings, especially children. Not even close.

It saddened me greatly a number of years back when far more people donated – and far more money was raised – for a reward to catch the creep that threw a dog out of another person's car in a fit of road rage versus a reward to apprehend a kidnapper of a missing child. A real sad commentary about the values of our present society.

How far off topic do you have to get before this thing peters out?
October 05, 2012 06:06PM
wherever

How far off topic do you have to get before this thing peters out?

Well, it was Rick (the founder and owner of this forum) that veered this thread into the Michael Vick/animal cruelty direction. Not me. wink

October 05, 2012 06:17PM
I think we can link this thread misdirection back to the topic...

Thomas B. Macaulay
The puritan hated bear baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators.
October 05, 2012 06:32PM
Maybe this factoid will be bring this thread back on topic: the last time Michael Vick encountered the Bears, back in 2011, his team lost 24-30. wink
October 11, 2012 05:48PM
oakroscoe
Sorry about the loss Chick-on, if you're looking to replace the neo air, I highly recommend the exped UL7.

I have another Neo to use (Z wifie sleeps in a hammock). I dunno about the exped. I have that too.
I'm not entirely enamored by it. It's ok. In winter I find sleeping on the Z Rest on top of Neo to work fine.

September 25, 2012 08:56AM
plawrence
...but a pair of zebras on Monday night robbed your team of a needed victory. crying

Very clever!Bowing to his greatness
September 25, 2012 11:41AM
plawrence
chick-on

What a rough week it's been for you.

Not only did a bear destroy and robbed you of your gear, but a pair of zebras on Monday night robbed your team of a needed victory. crying

You're not getting any breaks this week.

Let's see, a bad Roughing the Passer call, followed by two missed Push in the Back calls, plus a Touchdown that was really an Interception (after a 10-minute review). All on the same drive!
September 25, 2012 01:11PM
chick-on
Not having much luck with Electronic Gadgetry this year.

Most bears this time of year are preparing for hibernation by consuming as many calories as possible. Apparently this bear is also trying to make his/her sleeping arrangements more comfortable, with an air mattress and long johns. Pretty smart if you ask me!

(Surprised there's no bear-themed emoticons...)

Sorry about your tablet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 01:11PM by ttilley.
September 25, 2012 08:49PM
Yeah. I'm a bit more leery of da bears during this time of year.

Maybe he tasted the Archos and then said "What!?!? This isn't an Apple!"

October 12, 2012 04:55AM
He would have had to wait 3 weeks to get an Apple product...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login