Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Is this a common thing to see? Shadow of a mountain.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Is this a common thing to see? Shadow of a mountain.
October 03, 2012 07:53PM
Obviously taken from clouds rest, sunrise, about 2 months ago. You can tell which way im looking. I have no idea what mountain that was, and I am wondering if its common to see the shadow of one mountain like that so clearly. Any ideas which mtn it is? Dana??

avatar Re: Is this a common thing to see? Shadow of a mountain.
October 03, 2012 08:13PM
That would be the shadow of Clouds Rest. On hazy days such shadows are common. Makes for a nice picture though. Something a bit more interesting than just a plain shot.
October 04, 2012 12:16PM
Dave
Something a bit more interesting than just a plain shot.
no such thing as a plain shot from clouds rest!
October 03, 2012 08:19PM
It just looks so much like a triangle, I didnt think it would have been clouds rest. There was plenty of visible smoke the night before, from the cascade fire, but the morning of that shot it had calmed down I do like it though...
October 04, 2012 01:55PM
cantwait2getback
It just looks so much like a triangle, I didnt think it would have been clouds rest. There was plenty of visible smoke the night before, from the cascade fire, but the morning of that shot it had calmed down I do like it though...

Clouds Rest looks like a long ridge from the northwest, but looking straight into east-northeast, where the sun was rising a couple of months ago, its outline is foreshortened into more of a pyramid.

You can see that the photo is taken pretty much from the summit, since the shadow line on either side doesn't have the up and down character that it would have if viewed from somewhere else.

Without the haze in the valley to show the shadow, there wouldn't be much of a pyramid to see.

Nice photo. Thanks.
October 04, 2012 01:33PM
I don't see anything...is there supposed to be a picture in the message? a link?
October 04, 2012 07:22PM
According to this site, all mountain shadows are triangular. http://www.exo.net/~pauld/lectures/patternscostarica/patternsnature2004.htm
October 04, 2012 07:41PM
Mt Shasta:

October 04, 2012 07:51PM
Shadow of Mt Tom over bishop (taken from our camp at Horton Lake). Hard to say about the triangle thing since tom is very pyramid shaped itself.

October 04, 2012 08:35PM
calipidder
Shadow of Mt Tom over bishop (taken from our camp at Horton Lake). Hard to say about the triangle thing since tom is very pyramid shaped itself.

You're both right. The photo taken from camp is not triangular. Taken from the summit, it would be.

See:
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/mtshad.htm
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/10/mountain-shadows.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 09:58PM by wherever.
October 05, 2012 02:15PM
Any pics, or info on Horton Lake. Looks really cool on Google Earth.
October 04, 2012 08:51PM
All of these picture are really cool.
October 05, 2012 08:36AM
I saw something similar years ago atop Volcan Atitlan in Guatemala, at dawn. The pyramidal shadow streched 40 miles to the Pacific coast.
No photos, you'll have to believe me.
Nice shot, Cantwait2getback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 08:38AM by trailblazer.
October 06, 2012 04:39PM
February 03, 2013 02:48PM
I wonder if this qualifies as a form of "brocken spectre"? Here, it seems clear that the show is projected onto "fog/ mist/haze". It is of a mountain and not a person, but still it seems to be the same idea.
February 03, 2013 04:31PM
The problem with that is that what you are seeing is a shadow, not a reflection. With a brocken specter you need to have some reflection and/or refraction off of the haze.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login