Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Campground Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 16, 2012 01:07PM
Porcupine Flat and Tamarack Flat Campgrounds have closed for the season. Hodgdon Meadow Campground is now first-come, first serve. Hodgdon Meadow group sites have closed for the season.
October 16, 2012 03:57PM
I think it's a real shame and pity that the Park Service closes all the campgrounds outside of Yosemite Valley so early except two of those which are closest to the Park's exits (and far away from Yosemite Valley and other highlights of the park).

Now, I fully understand the need to close most, if not all, the campgrounds along Tioga Road by October 15th (though I think they could keep the lower elevation Tamarack Flat campground open a bit longer).

But why do they always close the Crane Flat campground so early (as well as the Bridalveil Creek Campground)?

I think they should keep the Crane Flat campground open at least until the first Monday in November. Sure, there might be some snow storms between now and early November, but the Crane Flat campground is located on the portion of Hwy 120 that's open year-round and plowed. No reason to close it as soon as they usually do.

October 16, 2012 04:12PM
plawrence
I think it's a real shame and pity that the Park Service closes all the campgrounds outside of Yosemite Valley so early except two of those which are closest to the Park's exits (and far away from Yosemite Valley and other highlights of the park).

You'd like to have a bunch of campers snowed in for the winter?
October 16, 2012 07:38PM
I truly doubt that any campers would be snowed in if they kept the Crane Flat campground open until the first Monday in November. Sure, some would probably experience a snow storm or two, but it's very rare to have a major snowfall before November, and even then, there's usually a big break until the next major storm.

The chances of campers being snowed in through winter at the Crane Flat campground would be practically nil. wink
October 16, 2012 07:59PM
You also have to keep in mind the costs of keeping a campground open. They have to pay someone at the CG kiosk, someone has to do all the paperwork involved, and someone has to be paid to clean the bathrooms, etc. It makes no sense to keep a CG open with only one or two campers on a weekend.
October 16, 2012 08:55PM
That's a good point.

But I think there's a very high probability that even on the last weekend of October, there would be more than a few campers camping at Crane Flat if it was left open that late in the season. If I had to choose between camping at Crane Flat or Hodgdon Meadow, I would alway choose Crane Flat. I think most other campers would too.

October 16, 2012 09:04PM
The two campsites that are kept open on the Tioga Road until the overnight-parking closing are both primitive sites (no running water). That said, people camp at Leavitt Meadows campsite after the gate is closed and the water shut off, something similar at Crane Flat might be reasonable enough given the road is open year-round.
October 16, 2012 09:12PM
It should be a relatively inexpensive project to insulate the water pipes used at the Crane Flat campground so they won't be at risk of freezing over until after an early November closing. Note that the nearby Crane Flat Store and gas station (with running water and toilets) remains open (albeit for limited hours) for most winters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 09:55PM by plawrence.
October 17, 2012 07:21PM
plawrence
That's a good point.

But I think there's a very high probability that even on the last weekend of October, there would be more than a few campers camping at Crane Flat if it was left open that late in the season. If I had to choose between camping at Crane Flat or Hodgdon Meadow, I would alway choose Crane Flat. I think most other campers would too..
Yes, but there are many other things to consider. And there are not as many campers this time of year as one might believe. And the cost to insulate the pipes would be prohibitive.
October 17, 2012 07:33PM
My thought is a bit different than Peter's...in my thought...just don't run the water, don't close the gate (or, if they do, don't ticket parked cars outside the gate), don't open the kiosk. Assuming there's at least a group camping outhouse, open it and stock it with a season's worth of TP, lock the 'must have water' restrooms.

Edit: In other words, just do what Toiyabe NF appears to do with Leavitt Meadows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 07:36PM by ttilley.
October 16, 2012 10:14PM
Try making a reservation in the valley in November.
(hint: it's pretty simple)
It's not all about the weather. It's about usage.
(and it gets dark darn early)
Sunday Nov 4 - Sunrise: 6:30am Sunset: 5:07pm
The overwhelming majority of peeps just don't want
to spend that much amout of time in the dark (and cold).

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 16, 2012 11:04PM
chick-on

It's about usage.
(and it gets dark darn early)
Sunday Nov 4 - Sunrise: 6:30am Sunset: 5:07pm
The overwhelming majority of peeps just don't want
to spend that much amout of time in the dark (and cold).

Only for that last Sunday night that the Crane Flat Campground would stay open under my proposal.

On the day before, Saturday, Nov. 3, the sun will set an hour LATER at 6:08 PM.

( A more reasonable time thanks for it being the last day of Daylight Savings Time. wink )

October 17, 2012 12:58AM
My bivy has a first name, it's H-A-R-D-E-N
My bivy has a second name, it's R-O-A-D
I love to camp there every week, ask me while I take a leak,
'Cause Harden Road has a way with B-I-V-Y!

Keep it quiet, folks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 08:08PM by QITNL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login