Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Looks like some snow in dat der valley!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Looks like some snow in dat der valley!
December 13, 2012 02:57PM
December 13, 2012 03:15PM
Does anyone know if 4mile trail is closed? If so, is "closed" meaning restricted?
Or is it more of a go at you're own risk?
avatar Re: Looks like some snow in dat der valley!
December 13, 2012 03:35PM
I don't actually know but I understood "closed" to mean that if you have to be rescued, they'll bill you for their services.
December 13, 2012 03:40PM
Sounds fair to me. Was planning a trip for next weekend. Maybe I'll check it out.
If that fails, Mist Trail is always good for me.
December 13, 2012 04:44PM
Here is a useful link:

Current Conditions - Yosemite National Park
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page. There's your answer.

Bookmark that page and you can answer the next 5 people who ask the same question, cool?
December 15, 2012 12:32AM
You don't have to be such an obnoxious ass about your reply. Not everyone knows everything like you.

QITNL
Here is a useful link:

Current Conditions - Yosemite National Park
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page. There's your answer.

Bookmark that page and you can answer the next 5 people who ask the same question, cool?
December 15, 2012 01:20AM
I notice that a lot on this forum. I don't live by the NPS websites because I don't know if its a more automated website or up to current conditions. Whatever, I just want some snow.
December 15, 2012 03:54AM
JamesMac
I notice that a lot on this forum. I don't live by the NPS websites because I don't know if its a more automated website or up to current conditions. Whatever, I just want some snow.

Often the NPS site is very slow at being updated. You get better information from people that have been there recently.
December 15, 2012 12:18PM
Which is exactly why rude responses like the one above are not always best to go by.
Thank you for your input.

Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to delay my trip a week
Or so as I'll be going up to Washington on Wednesday. I'm sure there will be some snow
Up there. And hopefully the Valley stays cold/wet enough for me to come enjoy my home
Away from home.
December 15, 2012 11:39AM
It looks like you are getting your wish for snow. The webcams show that there is some snow in the Valley today and it was cold last night so it might last through the day.

One of the weather sites I look at for Yosemite is the NOAA site at http://www.weather.gov/. There is a way that you can move a square around on the map where you can pick different locations. This one is for Yosemite West http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=hnx&smap=1&textField1=37.6475&textField2=-119.7175. I tend to look at several weather sites, the NPS sites and then here to see if anyone has been in Yosemite recently, to get an idea of what things are like there.

My son wants to go skiing so we are hoping that the downhill is open soon at Badger.
December 15, 2012 12:22PM
I too like to have multiple resources to go to before I head out on an adventure.
Thanks for your help.
December 13, 2012 04:55PM
gophersnake
I don't actually know but I understood "closed" to mean that if you have to be rescued, they'll bill you for their services.

In addition to that I thought that if there was a rescue they could also cite or fine you. The rational is that you are putting the rescuers in unnecessary danger. No idea if that has ever happened but that has been my understanding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login