Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: mariposa grove, goat meadow snow play area.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

mariposa grove, goat meadow snow play area.
February 15, 2013 04:44PM
Hey guys. Taking the kids up on sunday. Driving up 41. So gonna try and hit the goat meadow area and possibly drive into the park. Just looking for general info on the status of the area. If any of u have passes thru in the last week... what kinda snowpack am I looking at in the goat meadow area? Also, interested in the mariposa grove trail during this season... anybody hiked it in the llast couple weeks? Any info would be cool.. thanks ray
avatar Re: mariposa grove, goat meadow snow play area.
February 15, 2013 05:14PM
daddray831
Also, interested in the mariposa grove trail during this season... anybody hiked it in the llast couple weeks?

The trail from Wawona or just the trail around the grove?
February 15, 2013 06:16PM
daddray831
Hey guys. Taking the kids up on sunday. Driving up 41. So gonna try and hit the goat meadow area and possibly drive into the park. Just looking for general info on the status of the area. If any of u have passes thru in the last week... what kinda snowpack am I looking at in the goat meadow area? Also, interested in the mariposa grove trail during this season... anybody hiked it in the llast couple weeks? Any info would be cool.. thanks ray

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 06:18PM by mrcondron.
February 15, 2013 06:20PM
mrcondron
daddray831

Whoops! I read Merced Grove. Don't know about Mariposa.

Old Dude
February 15, 2013 06:40PM
Yes the trail around the grove. I know the road is closed. Looking at the trail to the giant. Possibly.
February 15, 2013 06:41PM
Or if youve seen the snow pack at fish camp passing by.. is there snow???
February 15, 2013 07:05PM
The road to the Mariposa Grove is currently OPEN (not closed), and I suspect that it will remain open until the next significant snowfall.

The parking lot at the Mariposa Grove is mostly plowed so vehicles can park there but most of the trails around the grove are covered by hard packed icy snow. So be sure to wear the appropriate footwear for the icy conditions.

I was there this past Wednesday, and there were a good amount of people taking advantage of the open road and plowed parking lot. Around noontime, the parking lot was about 1/3 full. I wouldn't be surprised if the parking fills up completely this holiday weekend. So plan accordingly.

February 15, 2013 07:09PM
plawrence
So be sure to wear the appropriate footwear for the icy conditions.

Yaktrax were certainly handy when I was last there. People without were slipping and sliding all over the place.
February 15, 2013 07:11PM
I agree. I was wearing my Yaktrax too. They made a huge difference.
February 15, 2013 07:02PM
there's snow around fish camp but not more than a foot or so when I went a few days ago. I didn't drive up the road to the top where the goat meadow is, but at the bottom of the goat meadow road where the turn off for it is on Hwy 41, there wasn't really enough to play in. But who knows, there might be some good snow at the top if you drive up the road at a little higher elevation. I would go check it out, at the very least you'll have some good fun hiking. Usually if you go to the mariposa grove and hike up you'll find some good snow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 07:06PM by marmot.
February 16, 2013 11:31PM
thanks for the info guys appreciate it. i have yaktrax. and my kids all have boots. another question. is it legal to sled in yosemite if you find a hill??? not near the ski resort obviously... thanks.
February 17, 2013 03:05PM
daddray831
thanks for the info guys appreciate it. i have yaktrax. and my kids all have boots. another question. is it legal to sled in yosemite if you find a hill??? not near the ski resort obviously... thanks.
I don't see why not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 03:34PM by hotrod4x5.
February 17, 2013 03:09PM
daddray831
s it legal to sled in yosemite if you find a hill??? not near the ski resort obviously... thanks.

The only mention of sledding in the Superintendent's Compendium is in regard to Badger Pass. So it probably isn't a problem.
February 17, 2013 06:53PM
I just got back from Mariposa Grove - spent the night on Wawona Point. We took traction devices and snowshoes and used neither. What little snow is left, is hard and thin, with lots of bare patches. Unless it really lays down the powder this coming Tuesday (it says 5-9 inches possible) it's not pleasant sledding.

The snow is patchy and thin along 41 as well. Not a lot out there.
February 17, 2013 07:18PM
i bet you got a great view of the stars out at wawona point smiling smiley
February 18, 2013 09:09AM
I'm going up there next week, still debating whether to take the snow boots or hiking shoes! I have to decide by today since I will be leaving home tomorrow. Weather.com says that it will be in the 40s and 50s throughout the week, shouldn't that melt most of the snow that will fall tomorrow?
February 18, 2013 10:00AM
I just looked at the weather at this site: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.74248523826606&lon=-119.56901550292969. This is for Yosemite Valley and calls for chance of snow after Wednesday going into Friday. While the snow in the valley will start melting in the afternoon if it is above freezing but there are still places where there will be snow. If you plan on going to higher elevations then definitely take the snow boots. This time of the year the weather changes quickly and it is better safe then sorry so take your snow boots with you even if you are only going to be in the valley.
February 18, 2013 11:45AM
I'm just planning on visiting Mariposa grove - is that considered high elevation? thanks for any advice!
February 18, 2013 12:29PM
The trail head at the grove parking lot is around 5400 feet and I believe that the Wawona Vista Point at the top of the grove is 7,000. I don't know how much snow is on the ground in the grove right now but if it snows this week, there will definitely be snow on the ground. The weather report for 6,100 says from 3 - 9 inches on Tuesday and then a inch or so on Wednesday. Yosemite valley is 4000 ft and the higher you go you will get more snow and it will stay on the ground longer.

I am not sure what you mean by snow boots. Do you mean high gortex lined/ waterproof boots or something that you wear in snow when you are not hiking? Being originally from back east, what we mean by snow boots are tall water proof boots that would not be good for hiking.

These are my personal choices. I wear mid cut gortex lined boots in the spring and summer if I know that I will be in wet areas. In winter if the snow is only a few inches deep then I wear those same boots. If the snow is deep enough that the snow will be higher than the tops of my mid cut boots then I wear gortex high cut boots with gaiters. In the summer, especially in the southwest parks, I usually wear low cut trail runners. If I can only take one pair of boots and I am going somewhere where it might rain or snow then I just take the gortex mid cut boots.

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 12:30PM by parklover.
February 18, 2013 01:37PM
I'd be bringing a pair of north face Chilkat II boots. It's fairly good for hiking, but if there isn't going to be any snow, I certainly would be more comfortable in trail running shoes. I'll take your advice and bring the boots, it doesn't sound like it will all melt by the end of this week. Thanks! smiling smiley
February 18, 2013 02:50PM
If I am in doubt about taking something, unless I am restricted by the amount of things I can take, then I just take it. I remember the time that we were going to Zion at Thanksgiving and I debated on taking my raincoat because it was supposed to be cold and clear. Even though we were driving and there was space for it, I left it at home and it rained for two days and I only had a down jacket so I ended up buying a raincoat.
February 18, 2013 02:53PM
yeah, space is a concern - I'm going to be flying from NY, doing some site-seeing in San Fran, then staying in Yosemite for the weekend. I am trying to lug as little as possible, that's why it is such a hard decision. If I were driving, i would definitely lug everything and the kitchen sink! smiling smiley
February 18, 2013 04:35PM
I share your pain. LOL We usually drive to national parks so space is not a problem. Twice we flew into Jackson WY and this summer we are flying to Banff so I understand the issue, especially with the charges for luggage, of trying to decide what to take.

Are your hiking boots waterproof? If so you can chance it and hope the snow is not deep. If your hiking boots are not waterproof, you could get waterproof socks and while your boots would get wet, your feet would be dry. You could always wear your snow boots on the plane and put your regular shoes that you would wear to San Fran and your other boots in your luggage. However, they are heavy duty and would be uncomfortable to wear on the plane. The other option if you are not going to have to dress up, is just wear your regular hiking boots in San Fran and on the plane, not take street shoes and pack your snow boots in your luggage. Would your travel plans allow you to mail your boots to San Fran and at the end of your trip mail your boots back home?
February 19, 2013 05:26PM
Well, I'm here in San Fran now with 3 pairs of shoes... so much for packing light! Looks like Mariposa grove road is closed again... I hope the snow clears out by the weekend. How many inches actually fell?
February 19, 2013 06:46PM
Ah, at least you will be prepared. LOL.

I have not heard how much snow has fallen only how much might. It is too dark to check out the Badger Pass Webcam and the webcam in Yosemite West has been down for several days and I usually look at them to see how much snow came down above 6000 feet. I just looked at the weather report and it looks like the forecast changed again, after tonight no more snow until Friday when the chance is only 20%. If it stays this way there is a possibility that the Mariposa Grove will reopen by this weekend. You just never know this time of the year what is going to happen. Have fun.
February 20, 2013 12:58AM
well i can tell you it really snowed something good here tonight. probably 5 inches here at bass lake
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login