Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Petroglyphs

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Petroglyphs
February 18, 2013 08:28AM
For years I've been trying to find the petroglyphs in Yosemite Valley, but apparently the location is one of the best-kept of secrets. Anyone who knows willing to share?
February 18, 2013 08:31AM
You might not find someone to share that info. A few months ago someone stole some petroglyphs not too far from here.
February 18, 2013 08:46AM
I know. I've been looking for the YV petroglyphs for years, and it was impossible to get any info even before the vandals stole those other petroglyphs. If nobody here will tell me, maybe I'll try a FOIA request and see what happens.
February 18, 2013 01:33PM
dogfacegeorge
For years I've been trying to find the petroglyphs in Yosemite Valley, but apparently the location is one of the best-kept of secrets. Anyone who knows willing to share?
Not "the" valley but rather the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.

Old Dude
February 18, 2013 06:20PM
What you're really looking for is pictographs, not petroglyphs. On a previous backpack trip there, a Ranger gave me the general location and after much searching we did find them. Pretty cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 06:21PM by vitaminC.
February 18, 2013 06:26PM
Thanks for the clues. I appreciate the help.
February 18, 2013 07:20PM
February 18, 2013 07:23PM
If you want to see petroglyphs go to Capital Reef and Canyonlands. Some of them you don't even have to hike to, you can drive up to them and park your car and get out to get a close look. One of the most famous is in Canyonlands and is called Newspaper Rock. There are several panels along the road in Capital Reef and you can see them when you are on the road or you can walk a boardwalk that runs along them. Dinosaur NM and the area around it is another good spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 07:26PM by parklover.
February 19, 2013 11:36AM
Moab has a bunch of easily accessible petroglyphs.
February 19, 2013 06:56PM
Actually there used to be petroglyphs at Indian Cave.
But guess what? They were destroyed by fools.
Nice, eh?

I've mentioned the ones in Pate before. And have offered for anyone
who really wants to know exactly where they are to PM me on the
condition they are treated with the upmost respect.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 08, 2020 11:36PM
Hi chick-on. I’d love to see these pictographs tomorrow. Can you see my registered email to possibly share the location? I could share some info in trade. I don’t post locations or deface. Signature on this will be in blood. -Jim
August 10, 2020 06:11AM
jimusasd
Hi chick-on. I’d love to see these pictographs tomorrow. Can you see my registered email to possibly share the location? I could share some info in trade. I don’t post locations or deface. Signature on this will be in blood. -Jim

Sorry man, we have been doing 10-days in the mountains then come back to civ to resupply and head back out.
Just got back last night. Probably too late. Will email you anyway.
Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 09, 2020 04:23AM
I don't know where you live, but if you don't mind a drive, there are some near Fallon, NV. As an added bonus, they're near the Top Gun school and sometimes you can see the jets practicing.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/nevada/grimes-point-petroglyphs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login