Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Why Google Maps shouldn't be trusted...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Why Google Maps shouldn't be trusted...
February 19, 2013 06:40PM
I wanted to know the approximate mileage from the Hodgdon Meadow Campground to the Pohono Bridge, so I decided to use Google Maps and entered Hodgdon Meadow Campground, Yosemite National Park for the start point of my trip and Pohono Bridge, Yosemite National Park for the end point of my trip.

The following is the route that Google Maps suggested that I take:

Uh, try again Google.

February 19, 2013 06:51PM
That would be an interesting trip. One time we were walking around Yosemite West and a car kept going past us over and over. We finally flagged them down and asked if they were lost. They said that they were going to Hodgdon Meadows Campground and their GPS told them that you could get there by driving through the bottom part of Yosemite West.
avatar Re: Why Google Maps shouldn't be trusted...
February 19, 2013 07:37PM
The directions from Yosemite Village, CA to Perth, Western Australia, Australia, look OK.
February 19, 2013 08:19PM
That is crazy. I had to switch it to bicycle to force it to give me the correct route for driving.
February 19, 2013 08:35PM
A friend's GPS also wanted to use Old Coulterville Rd. So I'm not surprised Google would too.
February 19, 2013 08:52PM
I think this is the problem. When I modified the route to take BOFR by dragging the mouse from the suggested route over to BOFR, I got the following warning in the directions that Google listed:

Turn left onto CA-120 E / Big Oak Flat Rd
This road may be seasonally closed

So because Google thinks this portion of Big Oak Flat Road might be seasonally closed, it suggested the alternative (which included navigating the Tuolumne River). wink

February 19, 2013 11:21PM
When I look at that area in Google Maps, I see several roads mislabeled "Tuolumne River". I'm guessing that the computer was trying to send you over them, not the real Tuolumne River (which doesn't run south of 120 anyway).

I guess if I studied the Gmap topo of that area I might eventually be able to figure what the real names of those roads are. I'm not making plans to work on it anytime soon, though. tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login